Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 20 of 527

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      San Antonio, Tx
      Posts
      1,193
      Sorry I didn't come visit this thread again sooner or I would have told you to skip the C7 fan and go CTS-V. The C7 fan is a 600w 16" fan. The CTS-V fan is 850w and 19" and comes in a bigger shroud that would have fit your radiator better and has flap doors to let air out when driving and the fan isn't needed. It is a direct plug and play replacement electrical wise for a C7 fan if you come across one it might be worth looking into. New they are like $330.

      That is a C7 radiator under the fan to give you an idea how much bigger it is.


      Instagram: CamaroAJ


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Oct 2018
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      583
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by CamaroAJ View Post
      Sorry I didn't come visit this thread again sooner or I would have told you to skip the C7 fan and go CTS-V. The C7 fan is a 600w 16" fan. The CTS-V fan is 850w and 19" and comes in a bigger shroud that would have fit your radiator better and has flap doors to let air out when driving and the fan isn't needed. It is a direct plug and play replacement electrical wise for a C7 fan if you come across one it might be worth looking into. New they are like $330.
      Funny you mention this, and thank you for bringing it up. Andrew and I went back and forth for almost half a day when he told me this monster existed. I had just received the C7 fan and I was concerned the smaller shroud wouldn't be enough. I came within 30 seconds of returning the C7 fan in favor of the CTS-V unit. They both offer the same features (Spal brand, speed flaps, plug, low price, etc.), but the CTS-V fan definitely comes very close to being a perfect fit for my radiator core. Had I known about it up front I would have easily gone with that. Maybe down the line I'll swap if too good of a deal comes up, but this C7 fan has already been VERY impressive. I did make sure to leave enough length on my wires to reach just in case.

      The other day I drove around town for food and had the AC blasting on a 111 degree day. The highest temp I saw the entire time was 197 and it came straight back to average 193-195 for the rest of the drive. Fan speed still never went over 65%. These modern pwm controlled fans are incredibly good at maintaining stable temps! I don't baby this thing when I take it out either.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      San Antonio, Tx
      Posts
      1,193
      Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      Funny you mention this, and thank you for bringing it up. Andrew and I went back and forth for almost half a day when he told me this monster existed. I had just received the C7 fan and I was concerned the smaller shroud wouldn't be enough. I came within 30 seconds of returning the C7 fan in favor of the CTS-V unit. They both offer the same features (Spal brand, speed flaps, plug, low price, etc.), but the CTS-V fan definitely comes very close to being a perfect fit for my radiator core. Had I known about it up front I would have easily gone with that. Maybe down the line I'll swap if too good of a deal comes up, but this C7 fan has already been VERY impressive. I did make sure to leave enough length on my wires to reach just in case.

      The other day I drove around town for food and had the AC blasting on a 111 degree day. The highest temp I saw the entire time was 197 and it came straight back to average 193-195 for the rest of the drive. Fan speed still never went over 65%. These modern pwm controlled fans are incredibly good at maintaining stable temps! I don't baby this thing when I take it out either.
      Dewitts takes one and modifies it to fit their shroud to replaced the C7 fan with so theres that. The C7 has some cooling issues, but its not because of the fan or radiator. It doesn't have very good air flow from the front and add in the condenser and heat exchanger and you get a C7 Z06 that over heats on track days. The draw back you have with that fan in your car now is it does't cover the whole surface which makes some hot spots in the core. You could build a bigger shroud for your C7 fan to save money. They do sell the rubber flaps to add to it so the air blows through when driving and the fan off. Seeing as you're only at 65% PWM you should be ok, the hood vents are really helping out there too. Start stop traffic with the A/C on would be something to double check as well, I've seen lots of cars that are fine with normal driving and some aggressive driving get hot in traffic.
      Instagram: CamaroAJ

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Oct 2018
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      583
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by CamaroAJ View Post
      Dewitts takes one and modifies it to fit their shroud to replaced the C7 fan with so theres that. The C7 has some cooling issues, but its not because of the fan or radiator. It doesn't have very good air flow from the front and add in the condenser and heat exchanger and you get a C7 Z06 that over heats on track days. The draw back you have with that fan in your car now is it does't cover the whole surface which makes some hot spots in the core. You could build a bigger shroud for your C7 fan to save money. They do sell the rubber flaps to add to it so the air blows through when driving and the fan off. Seeing as you're only at 65% pwm you should be ok, the hood vents are really helping out there too. Start stop traffic with the A/C on would be something to double check as well, I've seen lots of cars that are fine with normal driving and some aggressive driving get hot in traffic.
      That Detwitts fan is insane in a good way, but at about $1000 it is far more expensive. I know the C7 cooling issues are most commonly from hard driving and I feel like the Z06 heat exchanger is a big part of it. The NA cars run all the same equipment without the cooling problems. This one of the 3 main reasons you won't see me running any boost.

      I also agree about the potential for hot spots in the radiator. That was my primary concern about sticking to this C7 fan. Luckily my CTS is in the intake base so the reading is the engine water temperature, not the radiator. Even though I likely have hotter spots in the radiator, the overall result is exactly what I wanted - a lower average engine temp.

      For any of you reading this and thinking about the same thing or dealing with similar issues, yes, I agree that the bigger radiator cores most of us have would be perfect for the CTS-V fan. If I was starting this project over that is what I would buy. Then call Andrew and hire him to program it along with doing your Holley EFI tuning!
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      San Antonio, Tx
      Posts
      1,193
      Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      That Detwitts fan is insane in a good way, but at about $1000 it is far more expensive. I know the C7 cooling issues are most commonly from hard driving and I feel like the Z06 heat exchanger is a big part of it. The NA cars run all the same equipment without the cooling problems. This one of the 3 main reasons you won't see me running any boost.

      I also agree about the potential for hot spots in the radiator. That was my primary concern about sticking to this C7 fan. Luckily my CTS is in the intake base so the reading is the engine water temperature, not the radiator. Even though I likely have hotter spots in the radiator, the overall result is exactly what I wanted - a lower average engine temp.

      For any of you reading this and thinking about the same thing or dealing with similar issues, yes, I agree that the bigger radiator cores most of us have would be perfect for the CTS-V fan. If I was starting this project over that is what I would buy. Then call Andrew and hire him to program it along with doing your Holley EFI tuning!
      Yeah its for sure expensive. Thats why I bought a CTS-V fan and modified it and made my own upper shroud. I'm running boost, but I'm running a oil cooler for a heat exchanger ducted off the side so there is nothing blocking my condenser and radiator.

      I think if you build a box for your radiator and modify your fan housing you should have more then enough fan to keep it cool. The trick is to get it sealed off so it doesn't suck air from around the radiator instead of through it.
      Instagram: CamaroAJ




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com