Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 20 of 527

    Threaded View

    1. #11
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      Peoria, AZ
      Posts
      1,758
      Country Flag: United States
      So here is my thought on alignment\geometry opinions on what works best...they are like butt holes, everyone has one. :D

      What I have picked up and learned over the years is that you need different geometry to accomplish different goals and it is all based on the equipment you currently have. For example, our goal was to get as much caster as well could on my car to correct the contact patch for the high SAI of the spindles and the amount of body roll my car had. The goal was to keep the outside front tire from going positive camber as you add steering angle and to get the inside front tire to lean into the corner instead of out. We accomplished great front grip with this method, really really great grip.



      The only downside to running huge caster is the jacking effect of the front end when steering angle is induced...and this is a factor. It is multiplied by a few things, tire width and scrub radius mainly. With my smallish 275 front tires and a decent scrub, the jacking didn't have that much of an effect on overall handling...the added grip was well worth the side effect.

      That said...since then I have added a ton of Ackerman with the new ATS Spindle steering arms and a lot less body roll with the huge front sway bar...and I am considering trying to take some caster out of the setup now to reduce the jacking effect...just to see what it does. Both of the changes above greatly increased the front grip..mainly from the inside front tire and my thought is that it may be a bit better overall without the jacking effect of the huge caster #.

      See what I mean? All of it has to work together, there isn't a magical # to any one part of this. I just posted the results above because I was curious how much caster I gained or lost in compression as I'd never paid attention to that before. Hope this helps...
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car





    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com