Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 20 of 527

    Threaded View

    1. #11
      Join Date
      Oct 2018
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      583
      Country Flag: United States
      Quick one this time since I took yesterday off of everything to finally relax. First time I have slept past 6am in about a month. Ahhh...



      I wanted to tackle the fuel cell mount since my plan is to use the base of the mount to add some strength under the bed, just behind cab. I first realized that my boxing plates covered up the forward mounting holes for the bed so I made a pocket that is easily accessible with a socket and ratchet. This was foresight caused by past mistakes on other projects. Glad I thought of it now!

      Name:  20190827_221816.jpg
Views: 1471
Size:  247.7 KB

      Then I just measured up some square tube since that seemed like the best fit for the fuel cell. Thanks to my measurements improving along the way, it welded up nice and square and fit nearly perfect between the frame rails.

      Name:  20190829_220947.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  256.7 KB

      It looks like it practically lays on the driveshaft, but that's just the photo. It actually has more than 3/4" at it's closest point. And remember, the drive shaft shouldn't ever move more than MAYBE 1/4" since I have IRS. I also made sure that the bottom of the fuel cell was not the closest point just in case anything ever did let go under there.

      Then I got to finally set the cell in there and it couldn't fit more perfectly! No movement at all, but slides right into place. Of course I have more mounts and braces to add, but it is self-supporting now. It also looks super tall, but won't stick above the bed floor more than about 4". Excuse the tarps. Our monsoon season came late this year and I did this as I was running inside from 55mph winds with rain.

      Name:  20190829_221054.jpg
Views: 1437
Size:  290.7 KB

      Yes I could lower the center of gravity by having it all the way at the back of the frame like many others. Those of you that have been following for a while or know me personally will agree that isn't what I was after. I know that in theory, you want as much mass between the axles as possible. When this is full of fuel it will weigh nearly 200lbs. So I decided that was significant enough to raise it's mass 6" higher while moving it much more centrally. Feel free to argue against it though.

      Oh yeah...the specs....18 gallon Fuel Safe FIA certified cell, aluminum case upgrade, remote fill, internal Aeromotive 340lph E85 pump, 3/4 gal trap door sump, E85 friendly foam, and a fuel level sensor. It was only 45 lbs without fuel.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram





    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com