Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 20 of 527

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Oct 2018
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      583
      Country Flag: United States
      Getting closer to wrapping up the front suspension.

      Today was one of those days where you spend 75% of your time on cutting and shaping little brackets. First bracket up was the upper uniball to clevis pins. Nothing fancy here, but I like it.

      Name:  20190216_173146.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  199.5 KB

      Then I started playing around with where everything would mount. Thanks to Lance I had a shock to feel out what interference I might have. Turns out I had to move my upper control arm mount back outboard by about 1/2". No big deal since wider wheels will likely not need much additional backspacing. I'm prioritizing suspension geometry over possible wider wheels here. It was kind of exciting to see this all together for the first time.



      Name:  20190216_173646.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  292.5 KB

      After making some measurements and moving mounts around I landed on this

      Name:  20190216_221700.jpg
Views: 1403
Size:  281.2 KB

      I feel good about how it all came out thus far. Obviously I need to add some material to the top of the frame rail. Thanks a lot Ford for making the most crooked frame ever. I'll see if I have any 3/16" steel plate handy. If not, I can work on finishing the rear end welds until I get some this week. Then onto shock mounts and actually ordering coilovers (Yay!). I really need to find an empty 351w block to make motor mounts too. Clock is ticking there. Anyone know where I can find a bare block for cheap in Phoenix?
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Location
      South Lyon, MI
      Posts
      1,244
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      Getting closer to wrapping up the front suspension.

      Today was one of those days where you spend 75% of your time on cutting and shaping little brackets. First bracket up was the upper uniball to clevis pins. Nothing fancy here, but I like it.

      Name:  20190216_173146.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  199.5 KB

      Then I started playing around with where everything would mount. Thanks to Lance I had a shock to feel out what interference I might have. Turns out I had to move my upper control arm mount back outboard by about 1/2". No big deal since wider wheels will likely not need much additional backspacing. I'm prioritizing suspension geometry over possible wider wheels here. It was kind of exciting to see this all together for the first time.

      Name:  20190216_173646.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  292.5 KB

      After making some measurements and moving mounts around I landed on this

      Name:  20190216_221700.jpg
Views: 1403
Size:  281.2 KB

      I feel good about how it all came out thus far. Obviously I need to add some material to the top of the frame rail. Thanks a lot Ford for making the most crooked frame ever. I'll see if I have any 3/16" steel plate handy. If not, I can work on finishing the rear end welds until I get some this week. Then onto shock mounts and actually ordering coilovers (Yay!). I really need to find an empty 351w block to make motor mounts too. Clock is ticking there. Anyone know where I can find a bare block for cheap in Phoenix?
      I was looking at the upper control arm photos. What is to prevent the ball joint assembly from rotating in the two clevises? Normally you would have one clevis and weld the other leg to the flange on the ball joint sleeve. Take a look at SPC upper control arms and some of the circle track uppers. It should be an easy modification from what you have.

      Overall, your craftsmanship is great. This is a very interesting build.

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Oct 2018
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      583
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by cornfedbill View Post
      I was looking at the upper control arm photos. What is to prevent the ball joint assembly from rotating in the two clevises? Normally you would have one clevis and weld the other leg to the flange on the ball joint sleeve. Take a look at SPC upper control arms and some of the circle track uppers. It should be an easy modification from what you have.

      Overall, your craftsmanship is great. This is a very interesting build.
      Thanks for the kudos! It means a lot.

      You are absolutely correct about the upper ball joint. I actually had to special order some low grade bolts with the correct 5/8-18 thread so I can do exactly what you suggested. They just haven't arrived yet. Hopefully I can get that done this week. We figured the clevis, being high carbon, would be too prone to cracking.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com