Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

fitech ultimate ls vs holley terminator

Looking at removing my fast ezefi and installing a new system. I've narrowed it to these two as I want to keep my ls6 intake and not install a tbi intake. Besides price can anyone give me the pros and cons to these setups? I don't know much about the fitech but have seen good reviews.

Title is supposed to be fitech ls vs holley terminator ls.

Country Flag: United States
      I just installed the Holley and I'm still working on getting it running smoothly. The install was simple, my most tedious part being running ground and power to my trunk mounted battery. The question I would want to know is the product support? I did not read good things when reading about the FiTech as far as the support model goes. Holley has many users and a support forum. The price of the FiTech does make it very attractive though.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

I run the Holley Dominator ECU in my Cougar, so I am probably biased.

There is a big thread on LS1tech about the Fitech...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...0-70051-a.html

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Yeah, tech support is the big thing. I'd rather pay a little more and get better tech support. Problem is the price is almost double, thats why I want some feedback more on tech support and problems with the systems than anything.

There is a fairly steep learning curve for both systems. As mentioned, Holley has a very active support forum as well as phone tech support. They also have numerous videos on their YouTube channel that demonstrates various hardware and software best practices.

Before buying, I would read, read, read, as much as possible.

Holley also regularly updates their software with new features and they are offered at no cost.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Andrew, since you brought it up. The updates, has this been something you can do on line or does the ecm have to be sent in. The ezefi that I have had, had to be sent in for some of the updates so a big pita.

Holley tech support was great when I had my commander 950. Its a big reason holley is on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Antrim View Post
      Andrew, since you brought it up. The updates, has this been something you can do on line or does the ecm have to be sent in. The ezefi that I have had, had to be sent in for some of the updates so a big pita.
      You can download the update and apply it yourself.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

I see the hp is a sequential injection does that mean that the terminator is also sequential?

I see the hp is a sequential injection does that mean that the terminator is also sequential?
      Software and firmware updates are done by the user. All Holley EFI kits are sequential. Terminator is just a name for various kits that are complete and also include the 3.5" touch screen, so technically a laptop is not required. This is true but a laptop is certainly handy for accessing some advanced adjustments.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Thank you Andrew, I didn't know if using the 3.5 screen limited it to batch fire or not. Glad to hear its sequential.

I'm interested in this as well. I'm working myself up to pulling the trigger on the Terminator system for my LS2, but if there is a cheaper equivalent or possibly just better option, I should probably consider it.

My first step was to email both company's to see how there email tech support was. With the holiday I figure it would take a while to hear back from them. I had sent them out on Sunday.
      Fitech instantly sent a message that they were out of the office. At least I knew it got sent. After sending holley some questions the next screen said my question would be answered within 2 days. Again not looking for quick response, just looking at their response.
      Fitech got back to me Monday afternoon. Some of the questions were omitted and I had to re-ask some which they couldn't answer. Got on some of the forums and got the answers I needed.
      I will let you know later on my opinion on holley's response. Next I'll call both company's for tech support and see how that goes.

My questions to fitech were on the ultimate ls and I don't know if it would reflect their other systems.
      I asked if the system only uses the supplies handheld, their response was it comes with pc compable software. I asked if the system was batch or sequential injection, they replied semi-sequential or untimed sequential. I also asked to get a rough dimention of the ecm and the response was they "didn't have that information at that time, maybe soon". I also asked if clarification if their system ran a 3 bar map sensor even on naturally asperated engines and really didn't get a full response to that. Got the last 2 questions answered for a couple of forums.

This is good info. Keep us updated on what you hear from Holley!

Another piece of info about fitech. There is a consensus on forums about fitech that when ordering a standalone ls ecm , you may or may not get a map sensor that the system needs. Now the only sensor listed that you are supposed to receive is an oxygen sensor but interesting that some kits have some and others dont. It has been reported that you need to use the a.c. Delco map sensor as there seems to be a problem using other brand sensors. Good to know as that sensor is around 30.00 on line.

Another piece of info about fitech. There is a consensus on forums about fitech that when ordering a standalone ls ecm , you may or may not get a map sensor that the system needs. Now the only sensor listed that you are supposed to receive is an oxygen sensor but interesting that some kits have some and others dont. It has been reported that you need to use the a.c. Delco map sensor as there seems to be a problem using other brand sensors. Good to know as that sensor is around 30.00 on line.
      Have you considered the MegaSquirt 3 Gold Box? Seems more capable than either setup.

I've seen that pop up a couple of times. I'll have to look at it.

I don't know much about the MegaSquirt, but people seem to like it.

Some more advanced features of the Holley software include:

pwm output for cooling fans (this is awesome)..people have also used this with solid state relays to ramp down fuel pumps when under light load.
      Injector end angle tuning (this is programmed based on cam specs to time injector firing with valve opening)
      Built in boost control (multiple strategies)
      Nitrous control (timing retard, activation, multiple stages, etc...)
      Water/meth injection control (don't know much about it)
      2-step (even 3 step rev limiters)
      Auto fuel scaling...Let's say you change injectors to something bigger, the software will adjust the fuel table. Same goes if you change the base fuel pressure.

The Advanced ICF is new in software 4 and it basically allows you to make your own tables (2D or 3D) to control whatever you want. I don't know much about it, but it is used a lot for various race car functions.

Internal data logging.
      Datalog overlay...this allows you to watch all the parameters...like a visual rewind button.

I would strongly recommend downloading and playing with the Holley software, because there is a ton of stuff there.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com