Results 1 to 20 of 28
Hybrid View
-
01-18-2017 #1
1952 Muntz Jet. A build from a beginner.
I bought this Muntz Jet back in 2013 sight unseen. It was found in a warehouse in Biloxi, Mississippi after the previous owner had passed away. Talking to some local contacts, and using lots of cell phone pictures, I knew the car wasn't stock but the extent of the modifications to it remained a bit of a mystery. Adding to the unknown is that this is a Muntz Jet, one of only about 250 cars built, there's simply not all that much information available on what the structure looked like originally.
I had the Muntz shipped up to my humble 2 car garage in the Seattle area along with the original engine and transmission. The original engine was no longer in the car but was found in some back corner of the same warehouse. I had hope it could get incorporated back into the Jet. For a couple months I poured over the car, taking it apart and trying to figure out what was original and what wasn't. It soon became clear to me that extensive modifications had been made to the cars structure. The front clip and rear was taken from a G-body car - possibly a mid-80's Buick Regal - and welded in to mate with the Muntz mid section. Nothing mechanical was original - the original engine was now a SBC 350 with a TH350 transmission. The interior had been replaced by something from a late 80's to early 90's Cadillac. After all that my mind changed from a restoration to more of a resto-mod build. On top of that, because I didn't know the pedigree of anything previously done to the car, I decided it was best to tear this car down as much as feasible and build it back up how I wanted.
The plan I hatched is to make the car look as original as feasible on the outside, but have modern components under the skin. I want it to be driveable and reliable. Keep in mind I've never built a car before. I am not a professional. I simply have a passion for cars and a desire to learn. I want to do as much of this project myself as possible. The past couple years I've been working on the car when I have some free time (which unfortunately isn't as often as I'd like), bought some of the more expensive parts to spread the costs out, and have been turning some wrenches.
I'm creating this thread to document what I've done, what I'm going to do, what is working and what is not; but more importantly to gain some knowledge from all the great folks on here who know way more about building cars than I do. If you see something that makes no sense or is utterly stupid, let me know. Right now I don't even know what I don't know.
So follow along and let's see where this goes. I'll update this thread as progress is made.





Reply With Quote