Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 20 of 104

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Aug 2015
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      282
      Country Flag: United States
      Really impressed with this build. Hats off to you bro. My 1st build(that I just completed) was a '68 Camaro. Yeah I went all out for what my budget would allow, but most of my stuff was figured out for me for the most part as they make anything you want for a Camaro. I did everything myself on my build, but you are fabricating as you go and that my friend is downright impressive to me. I'd love to one day have all the knowledge to tackle a project like this, but until then I will bask in the fruits of my labor a little while first. Following along

      '68 Chevy Camaro Pro-tour ~ project DMENTD
      '57 Chevy 3100 Pro-tour pickup ~ under construction


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Waconia, MN
      Posts
      113
      Country Flag: United States
      Thanks for the kind words pittpens24, they're appreciated.

      2 things:
      1) I can't take credit for the vast majority of the fabrication work, as its been farmed out first to the shop that had the truck for 10 years, and now to my brother-in-law to finish what they started.
      I determined early on that if I wanted this truck to be more than the typical V8 s-truck, I would have to enlist the help of those with more talent than me.
      Knowing what I know now, I would have been definitely been time ahead by teaching myself and going the DIY route. Would the results have been as good? Maybe, maybe not. It's still been a great learning experience, just a long, drawn out one.

      2) There's definitely something to be said for building something that has the level of support of a 1st gen Camaro. You're a smarter man than I.
      I had a '69 MANY years ago....man I miss that car.

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Aug 2015
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      282
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by SonomaZ View Post
      Thanks for the kind words pittpens24, they're appreciated.

      2 things:
      1) I can't take credit for the vast majority of the fabrication work, as its been farmed out first to the shop that had the truck for 10 years, and now to my brother-in-law to finish what they started.
      I determined early on that if I wanted this truck to be more than the typical V8 s-truck, I would have to enlist the help of those with more talent than me.
      Knowing what I know now, I would have been definitely been time ahead by teaching myself and going the DIY route. Would the results have been as good? Maybe, maybe not. It's still been a great learning experience, just a long, drawn out one.

      2) There's definitely something to be said for building something that has the level of support of a 1st gen Camaro. You're a smarter man than I.
      I had a '69 MANY years ago....man I miss that car.
      One thing you are not giving yourself credit for is the initiative to take on a project and even though you were not doing the physical aspect, you were still nose down in research to build what you want to build and the way you want to accomplish it. It's hard for a lot of individuals to have the foresight to get a grasp on what will be.
      As far as support, we will see as the car will be at it's 1st paid entry car show. My car has nothing stock about it so I am anxious to see how much good vs bad comments I get. I know you meant support as in help because it has been done many times over lol.
      '68 Chevy Camaro Pro-tour ~ project DMENTD
      '57 Chevy 3100 Pro-tour pickup ~ under construction

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Waconia, MN
      Posts
      113
      Country Flag: United States
      So another fairly productive weekend in Iowa in the books.
      Since my last visit where we got the axle tubes cut to length, the Millerbuilt ends welded on, and most of the rear floor cut out:

      Cut off the tacked-on frame height setting "feet." These were just for construction purposes and kept the bottom of the frame level and 4" off the deck.
      The axle is now back under the truck with tires bolted on for the first time and not just sitting in the wheel wells for pictures and measuring.
      And it looks like we got the width right!! (Measure twice? I think it was more like 5 or 6 times.)
      The sidewalls of the 335's should tuck right in with just a little fender lip roll.
      We made some 2x4 "struts" for the front since I don't have springs for the coilovers in front yet. And with that, we at least have a roller which became very necessary later in the day.
      I do have a pair of 650# Hyperco springs coming, but they didn't make it in time.

      After achieving roller status we picked the engine and trans up off the temporary mounts with the frame rack hoist, cut and re-tacked the mounts back in place exactly 8" rearward, rolled the chassis forward and reset engine and trans in their new position.
      For those following along, the previous decision to stick with only 4" of engine setback went straight out the window when it was realized that the true level of firewall chopping wouldn't be that much different to go the full 8, and once it was decided to just pitch the factory HVAC out that same window. I'll put a Vintage Air slimline unit in there later.
      In this new position, header modifications will be reduced dramatically. The passenger side is a virtual bolt-in right now. The headers are '96-'97 LT1 F-body 1-3/4" primary longtubes.
      The other victim of the engine setback besides the HVAC on the pass. side will be the factory pedal "box" firewall sheetmetal that juts out for your feet on the driver's side. It looks like this will be overcome with a relocated pedal setup from Tilton or Wilwood. Every decision always has consequences, right? Pedals, steering wheel and seat(s) will all get moved back about 4". Dash stays in stock position as there shouldn't be any required cutting up that high.

      I'm sorry I didn't get pics up from the last go-round but my phone camera lens is messed up. I might put them up anyway. Thankfully my son came with this time and snapped a few with his. Will get those loaded up here shortly.

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Waconia, MN
      Posts
      113
      Country Flag: United States
      I just looked back and saw that I used the phrase "relatively minor firewall clearancing" in a previous post.
      I'm not sure what I was smoking when i wrote that....

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Waconia, MN
      Posts
      113
      Country Flag: United States
      Sorry for the lack of detail pics but I'll share what I have.
      Dave HAS been busy the last few weekends however.

      Front section of floor and necessary portion of firewall out; engine and trans are now 8" further back than where we started.
      Should be very close to 10" of total setback from stock engine position. Still on temporary mounts in this picture.
      Name:  enginesetback.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  221.1 KB

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Waconia, MN
      Posts
      113
      Country Flag: United States
      With the lift all the way down and touching the runway of the frame rack.
      ALMOST low enough.
      Name:  allthewaydown.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  104.6 KB

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Waconia, MN
      Posts
      113
      Country Flag: United States
      There has been some relatively minor progress made since my last update and I'll try to pull some pics off my phone and post later.

      1st, decisions made:

      Since the better part of the back half of the floor is already cut out, and we know the d/s tunnel needs more than a bit of clearancing for the torque arm, AND the consideration of additional engine setback will require firewall rework..... the remaining front half of the floor is also coming out. Easier to start from scratch than to patch a little here and there.

      On the subject of engine setback, we've gone from 8" from current position (desired) to approximately 4".
      (The current position is roughly 2" rearward from stock. So overall we'll be roughly 6".)
      That additional 4" was deemed to be way more trouble/effort than potential gain. Just too many obstacles to overcome.

      It's been somewhat of a battle to maintain the balance of street comforts vs race capabilities all the while attempting to keep scope creep in check.
      I need to keep reminding myself that this is to be a STREET truck that will see only occasional track duty, or at the very least, have the capability for said duty when the mood strikes. As opposed to the other way around, a RACE truck with license plates. I've had my share of teeth-rattling, rough riding, deafening hot rods, and while they were fun, this will not be one of those.

      On to the (small) progress update:

      Threw money down on a True Trac, 4.11's and installation kit. I now have more money into my rear axle than the rest of the drivetrain. Oh well, it won't be the weak link I guess.
      Sheet metal ordered and received for floor and firewall rework.
      Millerbuilt floater ends welded to axle tubes. Jay/Jason Miller is a great guy to deal with and the quality of his kit is absolutely top-notch.
      Will be ordering the floater axles in the coming weeks.
      Last edited by SonomaZ; 08-12-2018 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Additional babbling




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com