Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Old style iron with aftermarket EFI vs. LSx

In terms of simplicity and cost, what are the pro's and con's of each?

True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

i've been going thru same debate for my 68.

old style will look better in classic car. other than fuel rails, it should look like original engine. you will still be able to have a sealed connection to a cowl hood. they're cheaper.

lsX is lighter. more people have them, so there's more support. i would bet the lsX gets better mileage.

i have some cost breakdowns on these engines. if you pm me your email address, i'll send it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by shanekennedy
      i've been going thru same debate for my 68.

old style will look better in classic car. other than fuel rails, it should look like original engine. you will still be able to have a sealed connection to a cowl hood. they're cheaper.

lsX is lighter. more people have them, so there's more support. i would bet the lsX gets better mileage.

i have some cost breakdowns on these engines. if you pm me your email address, i'll send it to you.
      For the cost of adding aftermarket EFI to an old small block you can practically purchase a low mileage LS1 complete with the EFI system. Let me put it this way and it will be crystal clear. HOw would you like to have:

1. Aluminum block with deep skirt and 6 bolt mains designed for roller cams
      2. 15 degree aluminum heads with beehive springs
      3. Sequential EFI with composite intake manifold
      4. Coil near plug ignition
      5. Reusable o-ring gaskets on valve covers, oil pan, front and rear covers
      6. about 150 pounds less than a Gen 1 SBC

There are a ton of other benefits, but those are the biggies. In my opinion if anyone that is starting from scratch doesn't build a Gen III or Gen IV sbc, they are nuts.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

a new MP EFI system can be had for around $2k, TB EFI even cheaper. i haven't seen any low mileage ls1's for $2k. i've seen high mileage 98's & 99's for that price. & you still have to buy motor mount, pcm mods, harness mods, & mod'ed oil pan, unless you have the tools/talent for the do-it-yourself approach. i'm not saying ls1 is a bad idea, & i don't think you can go wrong choosing one.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70
      For the cost of adding aftermarket EFI to an old small block you can practically purchase a low mileage LS1 complete with the EFI system. Let me put it this way and it will be crystal clear. HOw would you like to have:

There are a ton of other benefits, but those are the biggies. In my opinion if anyone that is starting from scratch doesn't build a Gen III or Gen IV sbc, they are nuts.

Andrew
      I completely agree, I was stuck on old school iron and didn't want to transition into the LSx world. But once you do it and experience it, you will never go back. I even think they look better under the hood when done right (maybe except a nice big block). As Andrew stated, there are tons of other benefits.

I would say that if you want to do an old school injected motor that is going to work as well and have the equivalant horsepower/drivability as an LSX motor it could easily end up costing twice as much as an LSX. (I know my ram-jet did) Of course it all just comes down to what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70

Andrew

Ok, color me sold.

Add to #6 the fact that the 150 fewer lbs are 3" further back in the chassis. Another big plus.

Anyone got a spare bag-o-money?
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

i was also stuck on old school iron,then went to tpi fuel injection and havent went back,now im building an ls1 .
      73 corvette chop top silver LS6 motor ,LS6 intake,700r4,2400 pro torque convertor ,3.70 gears,modified hooker sidepipes to fit LS1,17 x9.5 boyd starburst,nitto 275/50/17-255/50/17 tires,vb&p suspension,nitrous,L-88 headlights,autometer guages.L88 hood,flares,spreader bar,vb&p sway bars

[/QUOTE=4MuscleMachinesMan] (maybe except a nice big block)./QUOTE]

Hmm big block. 540cid big block.

I can't stand the carb exhaust smell anymore after going efi

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com