Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Results 121 to 126 of 126

    Thread: Yelcamino 2.0

    1. #121
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Location
      Indiana
      Posts
      2,670
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by 454bug View Post
      Hey Herb,

      I'm sorry to hear about your misfortunes! The new setup is really sweet. This issue sure sounds like the perfect storm scenario. I've never heard of this kind of failure (block breakage).

      Good luck with your choices. I have always been one to opt for light weight over a few more horsepower... With my race car, I can out run everyone on the track in the straights but they smoke me in the braking zones/corners! Going lighter is usually less harmful to other parts as well. It breaks less things and the tires and brakes last longer... But, there is nothing like more power... Tough choice!

      It's great you cooled off and are ready to hit it again. I spent $10,000 on a top of the line DSS short block for my race car motor and in just one 8-hour race, we split the block from the crank webbing to the cam journals! You talk about needing a cool-down period before deciding to get a new Dart block and start over! I went with DSS' recommendation and thought all of their engine prep and main stud support system would be sufficient. 8 hours later, we had a cracked motor! Just another $1,500 in the first place (for the Dart block upgrade) and we would still be racing on that motor! Then, DSS wants to only give us $500 off another short block! This is an expensive hobby!

      By the way, REALLY nice trailer!
      This failure was a surprise to me for sure. I've had drive shafts and u-joints go before but never did it cause so much collateral damage. Maybe I've been lucky in the past.

      As for trying to save weight, it's not that big of a deal for this car. Even with the all aluminum LS3 it still tipped the scales at 3700 lbs. On top of that, it's not a race car so adding 100 lbs or so by going to a cast iron block is a non-issue. However, the Chevelle is a different story and it will be on a serious diet!

      Bummer about your short block. Yeah this is an expensive hobby but for some reason, we keep on keepin' on!

      Thanks and yes the trailer is pretty nice. The Warn winch was a cool surprise that wasn't in the ad.
      Herb

      1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
      1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
      1963 C10 454/4L80

      PHR CHP CHP youtube


    2. #122
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Location
      Indiana
      Posts
      2,670
      Country Flag: United States
      A quick update...

      I brought the T56 to Bowler to have them check it out and they found a broken shift rail guide.



      Things are starting to move forward: Bowler is fixing the trans, I ordered a dual CV joint shaft from the Driveshaft Shop, and I got a 408" shortblock in the works.
      Herb

      1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
      1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
      1963 C10 454/4L80

      PHR CHP CHP youtube


    3. #123
      Join Date
      Feb 2013
      Posts
      1,557
      Country Flag: United States
      Dang, Herb. You don't halfway do anything (even when you're breaking stuff :P).


      Ridetech Suspsension
      Tech Specialist
      Phone: 812.481.4734

      Project Fox
      1979 Trans Am

    4. #124
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      IN/MI border
      Posts
      1,920
      Country Flag: United States
      Wow what a bum deal. Who's driveshaft is it? Was it an recent addition to the car?

      Also, is that new asphalt at Putnum I see in one of your photos?

    5. #125
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Location
      Indiana
      Posts
      2,670
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Josh@ridetech View Post
      Dang, Herb. You don't halfway do anything (even when you're breaking stuff :P).
      Lol, thanks Josh!
      Herb

      1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
      1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
      1963 C10 454/4L80

      PHR CHP CHP youtube


    6. #126
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Location
      Indiana
      Posts
      2,670
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by BuddyP View Post
      Wow what a bum deal. Who's driveshaft is it? Was it an recent addition to the car?

      Also, is that new asphalt at Putnum I see in one of your photos?
      It was a Denny's driveshaft and was a leftover from another project that happened to be the right length following the T56 install. It was supposed to be temporary until I could get a dual CV shaft and since everything was working well, I kept putting off ordering the new shaft. Procrastination cost me big this time!

      Speaking of the CV shaft, it arrived yesterday.





      Yes there is new asphalt at Putnam.
      Herb

      1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
      1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
      1963 C10 454/4L80

      PHR CHP CHP youtube



    Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7



    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com