Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 20 of 533

    Threaded View

    1. #10
      Join Date
      Aug 2015
      Location
      charlotte
      Posts
      929
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by frojoe View Post
      It looks like the angle between the steering rack and the steering link (is it still called a tie rod end for a rack setup?) is pretty huge. For a steering rack you want about 10 degrees angle, depending on the steering arms and side-to-side movement of the rack, to help with Ackerman angle while turning.



      http://image.hotrod.com/f/9021098+w6...lutions%2B.jpg

      Depending on how big your angle is, if it's large like it looks to be in your picture then it could make the steering wonky at higher steering angles. Also, steering feel is very sensitive to arm length,and if they're 1" longer than what you had previously, then your steering could get drastically slower with reduced steering angle.. but that all depends on the throw of the rack (which I'm not personally familiar with). I think at this point you really just have to cycle the rack thru its travel and measure your steering angle at the hubs to get an idea if the steering arms will be too long & make the steering angle too small, as well as look at how parallel the steering links get to the rack thru turning. But to know for sure you'll just have to test drive it.
      Thanks for your help, nice simple diagram also.
      I'll take some measurements and see where I'm at, it certainly increased the angle using these new arms and wasn't even slightly on my mind when trying to overcome the last problem with the unisteer arms..
      unfortunately I won't have the luxury of test driving it for some time so it looks like i will hit the books and learn everything I can about Ackerman angle. I'll also have the steering column and steering wheel arrive in a couple days so that should help with the testing. Thanks again





    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com