Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 6 of 6
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      3
      Country Flag: United States

      1970 Camaro, What would you do?

      Hey everybody been reading through the forum for a long time but I just registered, lots of great information. My father and I picked up our 70 Camaro out of an old movie theatre in a small Texas town about 8 years ago. Car was a 307, 3 speed car that was in decent shape with no rust. Other than the interior being completely shot, the car was pretty close to being too good to be true. Over the years this has been the car that has taught me most of the basic garage mechanic skills i have today. Since buying the car 8 years ago we have had a few different motors (two 383 stokers). Recently we dropped a very well built 377 de-stroker with trickflow heads and a Holley 750 cfm carb. We are running the same muncie 4 speed we have had since we pulled the 3 speed out. I have some free time and money now and would like to start working on the car again and today bought a 3.73 posi 12 bolt rear end with disk brakes on each side, hopefully i can throw it in with no problems. Since I'm going to be tearing into the rear suspension i was thinking about upgrading. What are Yall's suggestions? I want to run a 315/35R/17 with 7 1/2 inch back spacing and am hoping i won't have to mini-tub the car or relocate the leaf springs. Will add pics tomorrow and thank you guys for all of the help.






      Before some decent paint ^


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Sep 2005
      Posts
      49,371
      Country Flag: United States
      Welcome!

      What's up with all the motor changes?

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      3
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
      Welcome!

      What's up with all the motor changes?
      Blew up two 383's before this motor.

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Location
      Gilbert, AZ
      Posts
      934
      Country Flag: United States
      2 things on the 315/35R17's. I'm not sure if that will fit, widthwise. I believe the DSE minitubs add 2" of room, and allow a 335 width tire, which is only 20mm (~3/4") larger than your 315. Also, I ran that tire size on my 98 Trans Am, it's not a tall tire at all, I think around 25.6". Might see what's available in a taller 40/45/50 series, I think the 35 would look too short. I know these cars can swallow a 27-28" tire with ease.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      3
      Country Flag: United States
      Ya I drove out to look at the wheels and tires that were listed on craigslist. They hit the leaf springs as i expected.

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Location
      Columbia, SC
      Posts
      32
      Country Flag: United States
      Are you against non-carbureted engine swaps? If not I highly recommend getting your hands on an LS engine. Parts are plentiful and not to mention you get the nice mileage and driveability bonuses from fuel injection. IDK what your budget is like but you can find ALOT of things to do as far as steering and suspension to F-bodys.




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com