Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 6 of 6
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      3
      Country Flag: United States

      1986 Monte Carlo SS pro-touring project

      What's up guys,



      I'm new to this site but wanted some help. I have a 1986 Monte Carlo SS that I want to turn to a pro touring car. It has a 350tpi in it with a th350 trans, shift kit, and 373 gears. I have a few ideas for motor but my main thing is suspension. I want the car alittle lower and handle really well. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas how I can accomplish this.

      Thank you


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      Peoria, AZ
      Posts
      1,758
      Country Flag: United States
      I have some ideas... :D We've been able to get my MCSS to really handle well.

      What are your goals with the car? Do you think you'll ever want to do competitive autocross events or track days with it? Or just want it to handle better than it did out of the box on the street?
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      3
      Country Flag: United States
      Well I definitely want to go to track days and stuff, auto cross would be awesome if I could, only thing is I don't really have the biggest budget. I just wanted to get a starting point.

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      Peoria, AZ
      Posts
      1,758
      Country Flag: United States
      I tried a couple of different bolt on solutions at first as well and then posted here much like yourself looking for some help to get the car to handle better.

      Ron Sutton took my hand and showed me the way...which is all documented in the this thread.

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-something-out

      We started with a small budget, and made the car much better right off the bat, the parts for stage 1 were around $1,000 and it worked fantastic. The car has been neutral balanced and turns in like a sports car ever since and I've done all of the work in my home garage with minimal tools really.

      If you have any questions after reading the thread just ask away, always willing to help out a fellow G-body fan.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      3
      Country Flag: United States
      Wow that was a lot to take in. Spent a lot of time reading that. I think the first couple things I'm going to try to work on is changing out the front sway bar for the 36mm sway bar from 3rd gen F bodies. But since my car is completely stock, what do you think would be the most important to change first? Also my car is an automatic (th350 with shift kit) which trans would you suggest if I were to do a swap to a manual?

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      Peoria, AZ
      Posts
      1,758
      Country Flag: United States
      The geometry on the front suspension is the most major flaw in stock form. As the suspension compresses under braking, the tops of the front tires tip out instead of in (gaining positive camber) and this is compounded as the KPI kicks in when you turn the steering wheel. reworking the front geometry to correct this will do more for your car than anything else...and is the first thing I would work on. Aftermarket upper and lower control arms that reposition the upper and lower ball joints for better geometry should be near the top of your list.

      I you were going to swap in a manual, at a minimum I'd do a T56 and upgrade from there with magnum T56 or other if you wanted. I run a T56 out of a 1994 Camaro in my car.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com