Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 11 of 11
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Posts
      13
      Country Flag: United States

      question about DSE 67-69 camaro front frame.

      I'm trying to find what the Track width is of the aftermarket DSE front sub frame. I called DSE and the guy I spoke too said he didn't have it readily available and would have to speak with his engineers to get it, and even then may not be able to give that information out.... They provide it for some of their other products, not sure why I got that answer. I figure there are enough guys around here running them, someone has got to know.



    2. #2
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Location
      Hildebran, NC
      Posts
      998
      Country Flag: United States
      I am almost positive the WMS is in the same place as stock.
      The rails are moved in some, but where the wheels mount is stock.

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Location
      Mountain Springs, Texas
      Posts
      4,865
      Country Flag: United States
      59.5" as far as I know.

      Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      Beach Park IL
      Posts
      3,047
      Country Flag: United States
      .....plus rotor thickness.
      Donny

      Support your local hot rod shop!

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Posts
      13
      Country Flag: United States
      just looking for hub to hub, can do the rest of the math from there. I'd imagine it's somewhat close to factory, i just don't want to assume and be way off.

      Thanks for the reply's so far though!

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Location
      Mountain Springs, Texas
      Posts
      4,865
      Country Flag: United States
      The pdf instructions here tell you what backspacing is needed versus wheel width if that is what you are trying to figure out:

      http://www.detroitspeed.com/1967-196...-subframe.html

      Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Feb 2014
      Location
      East Tennessee
      Posts
      75
      Country Flag: United States
      If you are trying to decide about whether to buy this or not I would seriously encourage you to give Rob at No Limit engineering a call. I have one of his Sniper IfS on my '68 Camaro and you will not find a better front sub...period. It's the only sub that I am aware of that will fit a 315 wide tire inside stock fenders...absolutely state of the art design, geometry...the car handles incredibly well both on the road or on the track, camber, caster and toe changes are a snap and all the coupe ants are designed to hold up to the abuse of racing.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Keith Corrigan
      1968 Camaro "Velocity"

      Drive em hard, enjoy them forever!!

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Posts
      13
      Country Flag: United States
      I'll be honest... here's what i have going on. I've already purchased a Front sub from another manufacturer and Before anybody says it, i'm comparing apples to oranges, yes i know...

      I'm trying to figure out wheel fitment. There are a lot of people using the DSE equipment, so i have a lot of information about what fits and what can be made to fit. I have not assembled my front sub yet, so i am trying to compare by using measurements given by each manufacturer. i know what backspacing works on both frames (DSE and mine) but i just wanted to make sure the track width was roughly the same so the wheels wont be sticking WAY out.

      I know everyone is probably going to tell me this is the wrong way of doing it, but this is how im doing it... I appreciate all the help so far though!

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Feb 2014
      Location
      East Tennessee
      Posts
      75
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by 68ash View Post
      I'll be honest... here's what i have going on. I've already purchased a Front sub from another manufacturer and Before anybody says it, i'm comparing apples to oranges, yes i know...

      I'm trying to figure out wheel fitment. There are a lot of people using the DSE equipment, so i have a lot of information about what fits and what can be made to fit. I have not assembled my front sub yet, so i am trying to compare by using measurements given by each manufacturer. i know what backspacing works on both frames (DSE and mine) but i just wanted to make sure the track width was roughly the same so the wheels wont be sticking WAY out.

      I know everyone is probably going to tell me this is the wrong way of doing it, but this is how im doing it... I appreciate all the help so far though!
      I wouldn't say what you are trying to do is right or wrong but terminology does matter. Track width is center of wheel to center of wheel...which is dependent on wheel width and backspace...or offset. I think you are looking for the dimension from the outside of the wheel to the outside of the opposite wheel...is that correct? If yes I can give you that dimension in general but there are a few other factors to consider if you are going for the maximum width wheel / tire combo. My car uses every millimeter of space to fit the widest tires in the widest configuration....I hope that makes sense. But here is the deal. You have to consider static camber and camber gain as the car rolls...not knowing your suspension makes it difficult to calculate what the widest combo might be.
      I will be happy to provide you with my outside dimensions...'68...but I can't guarantee it will work on your car. I know this kind of sucks as an answer but there are a lot of variables...of course if you are willing and able to modify your wheel openings...you can do a lot more
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Keith Corrigan
      1968 Camaro "Velocity"

      Drive em hard, enjoy them forever!!

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Location
      Mountain Springs, Texas
      Posts
      4,865
      Country Flag: United States
      It may not be wrong but it might not be wise. Depending on your timing if you could hold off ordering your wheels until the black Friday sales you could likely be accurate and save a bunch of money.

      Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Posts
      13
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Kcorrigan2 View Post
      I wouldn't say what you are trying to do is right or wrong but terminology does matter. Track width is center of wheel to center of wheel...which is dependent on wheel width and backspace...or offset. I think you are looking for the dimension from the outside of the wheel to the outside of the opposite wheel...is that correct? If yes I can give you that dimension in general but there are a few other factors to consider if you are going for the maximum width wheel / tire combo. My car uses every millimeter of space to fit the widest tires in the widest configuration....I hope that makes sense. But here is the deal. You have to consider static camber and camber gain as the car rolls...not knowing your suspension makes it difficult to calculate what the widest combo might be.
      I will be happy to provide you with my outside dimensions...'68...but I can't guarantee it will work on your car. I know this kind of sucks as an answer but there are a lot of variables...of course if you are willing and able to modify your wheel openings...you can do a lot more
      By bad with the terms. I was just going off some info i found from DSE which referred to track width of their frames as Hub to Hub. Which is exactly what im looking for. I'm fully prepared to do fender work, and already planned on having to modify/make inner wells. I went with the Chassisworks front end (local for me, toured the shop before buying. Great guys, awesome shop!) The only bummer part is i cant find anyone that's really pushed the limits using one. that's why i'm trying to compare it to another manufacturer. I cant wait to figure it all out so i can post about my progress for the next guy who decides to go this route.

      Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      It may not be wrong but it might not be wise. Depending on your timing if you could hold off ordering your wheels until the black Friday sales you could likely be accurate and save a bunch of money.

      Don
      I like the way you think! It could very well be worth it for me to wait that long (savings and more time to figure everything out). Plus i might end up having to throw it all together just to make sure what i come up with works. only problem is the wheels i currently have are only 15" and they will not fit over the new brakes so it will have to happen when i can afford to dedicate the shop space until the new wheels get in.




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com