Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 20 of 153

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      Phoenix
      Posts
      162
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by chunger View Post
      Hmmm, they all seem like pinholes, nothing structural.



      I recall another build on here years ago that had floor in similar condition to yours. He fixed them by using silver Por 15. Claimed the silver color was the only color that had some kinda fibers in it. Seemed to work for him and was alot simpler than cutting out the old and welding in new floors.

      The hole in the firewall where the clutch rod goes used to be fairly common. As the plastic bushings failed in the linkage to the Z-bar, the metal-on-metal joints would wear pretty fast and get sloppy, often resulting in people substituting straight rods for the upper link. Many of which resulted in the kind of wear you see on your firewall.

      Keep up the good work!
      Yeah, I briefly considered just putting down some rust preventative/converter and calling it a day but the plan is to keep this ride. So, I opted for pans. And my other early mustangs had various levels of the failing z-bar linkages like you mentioned. But this is the first time I've seen a tear on the firewall to make room for the clutch rod....so many 'impressive' details about this car.
      Kris - Building the poor man's '68 Mustang.


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      Phoenix
      Posts
      162
      Country Flag: United States
      The most recent happenings: I worked on finishing up the pedal support. I didn't get many in-progress pics because my lovely assistant was poking holes in the floor while i was working on the support.
      I'm happy with the finished product. I will need to work on straightening the clutch pedal, though. I'm really curious as to what the hell happened to this thing. There were a few 'fixes' that would have been acceptable had they just spent a little more time making it 'right'.


      Completed side shot.



      Another view that -kinda- shows the off-kilter clutch pedal alignment.



      I also worked on geting the old tank drained and out since I have the larger stainless to go in when I finish adding the new-style fuel pump. The trunk floor looked good. No real issues aside from carpet tape holding down the trunk mat and no sealer between the tank and flange....



      And then Mike suggests that I wheel the car over to the lift so we can get it in the air and remove the exhaust, brake and fuel lines and get ready to remove the floors.



      And then........Sawzall happens!



      I cut out the larger sections and will finish up the smaller areas with a cutoff wheel while it is on the ground. I hope to get back to it this weekend to do that and maybe even get the subframe install started.
      Kris - Building the poor man's '68 Mustang.

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      Phoenix
      Posts
      162
      Country Flag: United States
      So with everything that is going on in the world, I opted to hang out in the shop for a little bit and get my floors mocked up, trimmed, and then welded in.
      I welded in everything with the exception of the sides along the transmission tunnel because I have a feeling that I'll need to move some metal there when it's time to put the T-56 in.
      I will likely get started on my subframe connectors next because there's nothing like cutting up fresh floors!





      Kris - Building the poor man's '68 Mustang.




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com