Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: My 72 Build

Country Flag: United States

My 72 Build (72 Nova)

So about 4 months ago I decided to buy this 72 nova. The guy "said" he drag raced it. I don't know how (the cars rag joint was torn apart and steering gear box was shot) but anyway it started up sounded real healthy and he drove it around the block. Done. Traded it for a 67 mustang I had and was super excided to have a nova! So for the past 4 months I've been throwing money at this car and this is where I am at now.

This is the car the day I bought it

Body was straight but it was a purple black brown color and that had to go! No interior but a 1990's Honda civic seat...

I literally took two boxes of wires out of this car. This thing had live wires that went nowhere and weren't even caped or taped...

None if the gauges worked so I went ahead and ordered some and made my own dash cluster

The car was way too high so I ordered the hotchkis 3'' lowering springs. Luckily the rear was already done with 4 link and coilovers.

Had to get rid of that fly catcher hood so ordered a 5'' cowl induction fiberglass hood

I was told the motor was fully built with two hits of nitrous... Well He wouldn't tell me what was in it so I had to take the motor apart to find out... Needless to say I had to do some replacing in there as well...

Then the black purple brown had to go... So I wrapped it with the 3m 1080 satin black

Got some TSW Valencias

Then Got some tubular Arms

And lastly today I ordered some 6 piston Wilwood brakes. Its been an expensive 4 months but when Im all done it will be worth it!

And just when you think you have all the parts you need something else fails... New radiator and hoses were bought yesterday lol

Looks tough! How many SqFt of the 1080 did you lay on it?
      Justin Novick
      Sales/Support
      Entropy Radiator / Engineered Cooling Products
      "The Sexiest Radiators For The Sexiest Hot Rods"

www.EntropyRad.com www.SpeedCooling.com

325 sq.ft They come 5ft wide by how ever long you need. I got 5x40 then needed to order another 5x25 roll. It wasn't too expensive considering the cost of a new paint job. I paid $700.00 in material and wrapped it myself.

wow, that wrap turned out great. how did you go about doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by 72_Nova View Post
      325 sq.ft They come 5ft wide by how ever long you need. I got 5x40 then needed to order another 5x25 roll. It wasn't too expensive considering the cost of a new paint job. I paid $700.00 in material and wrapped it myself.
      The wrap turned out great! Is this your first wrap, or have you had practice?

I want to wrap my car, but am clueless at this point. I've only watched videos of professionals. I've never seen it in person.

My buddy wraps cars for a living. Every time I go out to visit him I always try to pick up some pointers on wrapping and have helped him wrap a few cars but this was the first time wrapping a car on my own.

It did come out really really good but one of the big things is to start out with a perfect body. I was luck that the guy I bought the car from had just got it painted cause any little bump dimple scratch rust spot pretty much anything will show up when u wrap it and will look horrible.

Secondly is clean your surface with rubbing alcohol, always cut extra material like at least a foot cause one wrong cut and you ruined that piece and finally take your time and use lots of heat! Heat is key when stretching the material and getting it back to its original form. Plus with out heat you will not be able to round corners or get marks out from the material bunching up on you. You tube videos help too! Start out glass work your way out from the middle. Never start from the top and work your way down.

Just got these bad boys in today! Wilwood big brake kit 14'' rotors with 6 piston calipers cant wait to put them on tonight!

Got the new brakes installed last night!

Quote Originally Posted by hookemdevils22 View Post
      wow, that wrap turned out great.
      x2!!

Nova looks super bad A$$! Keep up the great work!

So yesterday I got the new fuel pump in and all four wheels on and decided to break in the new Wilwoods! I must say this car handles amazing compared to how it did three weeks ago!

The only thing left to do is lower the rear 1 more inch!

Looking damn good!!!
      Mat
      1988 Corvette, AKA "Betsy"

"May the Schwartz be with you!"

Which arms did you put on, and do they change geometry at all, or just tubular arms with stock geometry?

Also, what happened with the pushrods? Looks like non hardened pushrods that got used with guide plates?

What size are your wheels and tires?

The armes have 4 degrees of positive camber built in. They are the Ground up Econo Kit

The push rods were not aligned right from the pervious owner or builder and were hitting the guides and I found that out when I tore down the motor... Good thing I did I might have saved myself from a serious problem.

Wheels are 18x9.5 and the tires are 275/35zr18

Quote Originally Posted by 72_Nova View Post

Wheels are 18x9.5 and the tires are 275/35zr18
      Have you checked for frame rail/sway bar/control arm/fenderwell clearance with those tires/wheels when you turn to full lock?
      What backspacing are the wheels?
      Are you running anything like a ridetech tru-turn or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanleiker View Post
      Have you checked for frame rail/sway bar/control arm/fenderwell clearance with those tires/wheels when you turn to full lock?
      What backspacing are the wheels?
      Are you running anything like a ridetech tru-turn or anything?

yup rear is tubbed so I can actually go wider. Front just barely rubs on full lock but Im not worried about that. My daily is a lifted chevy that rubs on full lock and im use to not turning all the way lol.

Offest is 20mm do that puts you at like a 6 inch backspace.

Picture of how she sits now...

nice looking nova

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com