Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 14 of 14

    Threaded View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Mar 2015
      Posts
      40
      Country Flag: Canada

      Budget turbo 5.3 vega

      Looking to turbo my 5.3. For two reason mainly more torque and hp. The second reason being that i am using a 4l80e with stock converter. It's in a chevy vega (very light 3000 pounds or less) I know that with the stock converter the stall speed will be very very low due to the light weight of the car and the low power output of the stock 5.3. I hear people use the stock converters in boosted setups with good results.

      I don't need a ton if power after-all it's only a stock 5.3. I want it to survive. So 7-8 psi is about as much as the bottom end can safely handle I believe.

      This is a street car so it needs to spool quick as possible.

      I am thinking of using the hx35 holset turbo from a 93 dodge 5.9 pickup. I think it should provide what I need. If it's not large enough I can do twins I have tons of room up front. I can get these turbos for next to nothing. I know diesel turbos run at higher boost and lower power band than gasoline but I'm sure it can work with slight modification and some conpromise.

      Another thought I had is what if you got 2 of the same turbos from the 4 cylinder imports. You would still have 4 cylinders feeding each turbo if you got them from say a 2.5 or 3 litres you would be pretty close I would think.

      I am a welder by trade and will be fabbing up the turbo system myself so anything I can find that will fit the bill I can adapt to work fitment wide.

      If anyone has done anything using the diesel or import turbos I'd like to hear dyno numbers and the rpms at which full boost kicks in aswell as the rpm the motor starts to choke if at all.

      Thanks in advance






    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com