Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Dakota Digital Dash Install Problem

Need some help here. I am installing an older Dakota Digital Dask VFD-3 Series III on a 1969 Camaro with a new AAW wiring system. The question is were the heck do I hook my alternator wire into the control box for low voltage. The instructions are not great and the online manual does not tell me. They are closed over the weekend so no help again. Can anyone help out here. Trying to get this thing running this weekend. Thanks for any help.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Are you talking about the brown wire in your factory harness? Which AAW harness are you using? The DD control unit doesn't display an "alt" light like the factory one did. On the setup menu you do have the option to set a "warning" (volt warn) if the voltage drops below whatever you want it to be. You can also set up the oil pressure and water temp to do the same. I just installed a VHX in mine (similar) and I believe it senses the voltage coming into the control unit (either through the ign or battery wire). I would just tape it up and either remove it or tuck it away.

Another cool feature I just hooked up is the tach warn (shift light). I connected an led (positive- ignition source and the ground is connected to the control unit (near the ign, batt and ground connections). You can set the shift light to come on at any RPM you want. Hope this helps you.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

I think the "12v" acc it where it senses the voltage.

There is no light for the low voltage on the older digital dashes. You can set the low voltage warning which will flash the voltage reading I believe whenever you get to a certain voltage. I don't know what the factory setting was but when mine dropped to around 9v it would flash

The way I read my instructions I can set low volts with the buttons for the light to come on at the voltage I want. Besides the gauge reads volts also. Just by hooking the 12v positive wire up and it should work. I do not have mine on the road to put any mileage on the car but I have drove it a short distance and every thing seems to work.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com