Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    Results 421 to 440 of 496
    1. #421
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden

      The modeling in Blender continues.

      I am pretty pleased with the general shape of the car. I have started to add in more details, for instance I have made the hood a separate piece. I also took the tires from a model that was included in a Blender course I have purchased; 3D Cars: Inside And Out ( https://blendermarket.com/products/3...out-in-blender ) I had to modify them by changing the diameters and widths. They absolutely look like they are real! One of the more fantastic things is that the text and all the sidewall details actually are three dimensional! It is made by converting a picture in grayscale to a three dimensional texture. I can highly recommend the course; it includes some nice tricks to make modeling a lot easier and with better results!

      Now I am at a stage where I will try different changes to the shape of the car to see what I like the best. When that is done, I will add all the remaining details. I have for instance tried three different curvatures of the body side. I have also started to experiment with the shape of the door opening.



      Even though you can rotate the the model on the computer screen, use different focal lengths and depth of field on the camera, I still think that it's really important to have a physical model to feel and view. I already have a model car in 1:18 scale, so I 3D printed mine in the same scale. They body was printed in two pieces with 0.12 mm layers. I took more than 86 hours! I also 3D printed the tires and rims. Before I make a final decision on the shape of the car, I will probably 3D print one in 1:8 scale or larger.

      The renderings are getting more refined, with depth of field and real backgrounds. They start to feel more and more realistic. I also enjoy trying out different colors and types of paint. In the course I learned how to create a customizable metallic paint where you can change the size of the metallic flakes, how much orange peel you have, plus a lot of other parameters. It's really cool, and you can make the paint look more realistic.

      I think I will try to go back in the garage soon and continue the physical work on the car!

      Name:  23-12-01 2 med bakgrund.jpg
Views: 1773
Size:  121.3 KB

      Name:  23-12-02 5.jpg
Views: 1744
Size:  215.2 KB

      Name:  IMG_E4344.jpg
Views: 1738
Size:  129.3 KB

      A lot more pictures at https://www.facebook.com/MechanixMenace
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870


    2. #422
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden

      Last post for the year!

      I was planning to creep into the garage to continue the physical work on the car, but I got stuck at the computer! I have been fine tuning my Blender model and tried different shapes and proportions. This is an example of what I have tried.

      Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1642
Size:  224.7 KB

      Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1644
Size:  232.3 KB

      This time there's not more to see on Facebook, due to some problems there. However, much more can be seen on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mechanix_menace/
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    3. #423
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden

      More Blender modeling and some photoshop work!

      The first video shows some rough versions of different door openings I am trying out. I want the door opening to harmonize with the DLO (Daylight Opening) or side window area. I will probably go with something like the last one. I feel that that the backwards sloping front edge of the door gives a sense of speed.

      In the second video, to get a better feel for the car's size, I have put an 18 year younger version of myself next to it!

      I first found a photo of me next to the car in the garage. I then adjusted the camera angle and focal length in Blender to match that picture. Then I had to cut myself out from the garage picture. Next up was to download a Blender model of a man. After that I changed his size and posture to match mine. Then I could match my size to the Blender man's size in Photoshop. I had to change my right arm and hand a bit and I also had to tweek the Blender man a lot to get the shadows to match me. Then I added some shadows, blur and changed other parameters of the picture of me to make it fit as good as possible in the entire scene. It's not perfect, but considering I am a novice at this, I am pretty happy!

      So here is Henrik standing with his Datsun 240Z at Münsterplatz in Ulm, Germany in 2005!

      [https://youtu.be/l60XrXXGtfM]

      [https://youtu.be/hUNyTeoN1p8]
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    4. #424
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden

      View compilation

      I have made a little compilation of different views of the car.

      Name:  24-01-11, flera vyer, namnteckning i hörn.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  237.9 KB
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    5. #425
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden

      Physical work on the car continues!

      I am back in the garage again! I have managed to get all the pieces for the rear suspension towers in place. Seam welding will be done later.

      Name:  IMG_E4562.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  359.5 KB

      Name:  IMG_E4581.jpg
Views: 1374
Size:  235.4 KB

      Name:  IMG_E4797.jpg
Views: 1381
Size:  349.0 KB

      A lot more pictures at https://www.facebook.com/MechanixMenace
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    6. #426
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden

      Outer C-pillar panel.

      A couple of wheelwell corner pieces more have been tacked in place and the left hand side outer C-pillar panel has also been tacked in place. This will create a very bending stiff beam reinforcing this part of the chassis. Together with sheet metal that will make up the front part of the rear quarter panel, this will add stiffness to an area of the chassis that, due to the placement of the rear subframe, might not be stiff enough as it sits now.

      Name:  IMG_E4978.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  312.4 KB

      Name:  IMG_E5001.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  287.4 KB

      Name:  IMG_E5003.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  301.1 KB

      A lot more pictures at https://www.facebook.com/MechanixMenace
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    7. #427
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      839
      Country Flag: United States
      Looks like some great progress Henrik. But damn you got mountains of patience and perseverance!
      Looking awesome and the renderings as well
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

    8. #428
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden
      Quote Originally Posted by TANKMASTERJ View Post
      Looks like some great progress Henrik. But damn you got mountains of patience and perseverance!
      Looking awesome and the renderings as well
      Thanks, Jason!

      Yeah, I guess you need that for a project that has stretched out over half your life.
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    9. #429
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden

      More C-pillar work + new front spoiler designs!

      The final sheet metal pieces for the left hand C-pillar have been welded in place. The top piece is pretty complicated; it has a varying radius, it's twisted and it has a sharp bend. It took me a while to figure out how to make it. When it was almost done, and I just had to trim off a triangular piece, I cut out that piece oriented 180 degrees wrong... I had to start over again! Frustrating! This time, instead of using my sheet metal roller, I tried to make several sharp bends in the sheet metal brake. It din't work out very well, so I went back to the initial method. Plus I used the stretching tool to simplify the twisting of the piece. In the end it came out pretty nice.

      I have also tried two alternative designs for the front spoiler in Blender. One that has a smooth rounded edge, and one that has a sharper edge that also is aligned with the outer hood edge. I haven't decided fully yet which way I will go, but I am leaning towards the smooth one. I think it makes the car look wider.

      On the right hand side I have tacked in the outer C-pillar panel.

      Name:  IMG_E5020.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  311.4 KB

      Name:  24-03-03 7, inga veck på framspoiler.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  175.2 KB

      Name:  24-03-07 6, framspoiler med skarpa veck.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  175.2 KB

      A lot more pictures and a film clip at https://www.facebook.com/MechanixMenace
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    10. #430
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden

      Modeling myself and sheet metal work.

      The right hand side sheet metal work on the C-pillar is now finished.

      Since I need to know how tall the rocker panel can be in order to get it through the inspection (this can be tricky in Sweden), I have built a seat mockup and measured myself sitting in it, to enable me to make a CAD model of myself. This makes it easier for the inspection guy to get a feel for how tall the rocker panel is in proportion to a driver. Also, I think I will have other uses for the driver model in the future.

      For fun, I took the picture of me and inserted it into the CAD model, this gives an even better feel for the size of the cabin.

      After a lot of trial and error, I have decided on the design of the front part of the rear wheelwell. I wanted to make it as easy as possible to get a good connection to the rear firewall composite panel, and at the same time getting everything as stiff as possible. It will be a bit tricky to weld everything up, but in the end I think the result will be pretty good.

      Today I started cutting away not needed parts of the stock rocker panels and the sheet metal work I did before I decided on building a full tube chassis.

      Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  101.2 KB

      Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  114.2 KB

      Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  125.2 KB

      A lot more pictures and a film clip at https://www.facebook.com/MechanixMenace
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    11. #431
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden

      More Blender modeling.

      Summer has come and the progress on the project gets EVEN slower! There will still be rainy days, and I will try to use at least some of them for garage work.

      The last thing I have done is to model a hood that is wider at the rear. It now ends at the inner edge of the A-pillar. I think this is a cleaner look, where the shut lines of the door and the hood line up with the A-pillar edges.

      Also, if you imagine the hood shut line as an air streamline, it now goes around the cabin, instead of crashing into the windshield. This also gives the impression of a smoother, more streamlined look of the car.

      Comments are welcome!

      Name:  24-06-02 6, ny huvspalt.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  363.8 KB

      Name:  24-03-03 8, inga veck på framspoiler.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  363.8 KB

      Name:  24-06-02 4, ny huvspalt.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  322.9 KB

      A video showing this better can be seen here:
      https://www.facebook.com/MechanixMenace
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-22FSRpPik
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    12. #432
      Join Date
      Aug 2002
      Location
      Waleska Ga.
      Posts
      2,722
      Country Flag: United States
      Killer work ! Always impressed when I come to look for your build.
      David Sloan

      If you’re suggesting sending men with weapons of war to take my weapons of war,then I’m fairly certain that’s what’s called an act of war… and the definition of tyranny.which coincidentally is the reason for the second amendment to begin with!


      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=fun+camaro

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...lcamino-build!

    13. #433
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden
      Quote Originally Posted by David Sloan View Post
      Killer work ! Always impressed when I come to look for your build.
      Thanks, David!
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    14. #434
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Location
      South Lyon, MI
      Posts
      1,244
      Country Flag: United States
      very nice work. I always enjoy seeing progress on your build.

      One comment from experience. You may want to consider helmet clearance to your rollbar and roof.

    15. #435
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden
      Quote Originally Posted by cornfedbill View Post
      very nice work. I always enjoy seeing progress on your build.

      One comment from experience. You may want to consider helmet clearance to your rollbar and roof.
      Thanks, Bill!

      Of course there is room for me to wear a helmet! That's one of the reasons why I am sitting directly on the floor. If you look at earlier posts, you can see the cabin mockup I built to perfect seating position, pedal position, steering wheel position and other ergonomics. I spent many hours doing this.
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    16. #436
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden

      Wider hood bulge!

      Today I have tweaked the hood bulge. I have made it a bit wider at the rear. I think this looks better in general, and especially now that the hood also is wider at the rear (stock it has a more or less constant width).

      I have also learned how to add a YouTube clip! Why haven't I found the method before? Well, at least I have proved that you can teach an old dog new tricks!

      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    17. #437
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden

      Sharper hood crease.

      Some more changes to the Blender model. This time even more minute. I have sharpened up the center crease of the hood and the spoiler. I think I will go with this instead of the previous softer version, but I have not decided fully yet. Maybe I will end up somewhere in between. One disadvantage to the sharp version is that it will be much harder to make. Just a small error in the centering of the crease will be much more visible. Maybe this is what will make the final decision. But I think I want all the edges and creases that exist on the stock body appear a bit sharper. I think I like that look better. I think...

      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    18. #438
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden

      New front spoiler versions and bumpers tested!

      After the usual summer break from the project, I have gotten back modeling in Blender. I have tested a few more front spoiler variants and I have also tested what the car would look like with bumpers. This is something I have planned to do for a long time. I think it adds more of the original car's DNA. The bumpers also make the car look wider, which is nice. I definitely need to let the different looks simmer in my mind for a long time before deciding which route to go.

      Today is also the first time I have made a video with me talking. It took quite a lot of time to do, but it enables me to explain stuff better. I think it also makes things a bit more personal. What do you think?

      Please also tell me which version you like the best! Comments about other stuff are welcome as well, of course! It would be nice with some interaction with you guys!

      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    19. #439
      Join Date
      Nov 2018
      Posts
      985
      Country Flag: United States
      Of all the options I liked the one matching the sidelines best. It tied the whole thing together. I would be concerned about sticking the nose out too far, as well as how low to the ground it is. The further past the front tires the nose is, the less of a grade you can take when entering parking lots, steep driveways, ect.

      It also looks better without the bumpers. If you want them, I wouldn't extend them down the sides. The long side bumpers lend another line to the car, and having the rear higher than the front looks off-balance.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

    20. #440
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden
      Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      Of all the options I liked the one matching the sidelines best. It tied the whole thing together. I would be concerned about sticking the nose out too far, as well as how low to the ground it is. The further past the front tires the nose is, the less of a grade you can take when entering parking lots, steep driveways, ect.

      It also looks better without the bumpers. If you want them, I wouldn't extend them down the sides. The long side bumpers lend another line to the car, and having the rear higher than the front looks off-balance.
      Thanks for your input, Vimes!

      The ground clearance will not be an issue, as I will be using a lifting system raising the car around 75 mm (3") when encountering speed bumps, etc.

      I can agree that ideally the bumpers should be at the same height, but that would mean that the rear bumper would need to be lowered quite a bit, which would look strange from the rear. I could maybe shorten the sides of the rear bumper a bit. I may try that. Regarding the front bumper, I think it needs to end where it does, as the corner is a big radius. If I shorten the sides, it will not reach the full width of the car when seen from the front, which will also look strange.

      It is very likely that I will go with my initial idea, that is; no bumpers!

      Before I make the final call, I will try out more variations!
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast


    Tags for this Thread


    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com