Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    Results 381 to 400 of 496
    1. #381
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden

      Rear shock tower progress!

      The square tubing that acts as the base for the rear suspension towers have been welded in place. It was quite a bit of work getting everything aligned correctly, and the welding positions were also a bit akward. In order to get as little distortion as possible, I fully welded the top end before welding the bottom end to the square tubing that is the rear subframe base.

      On one side, I had to force the tubing back a bit to get the alignment perfect. As expected, the rear subframe base bent upwards slightly, since all the welds are on the top side of the tubes. When I create the rest of the suspension towers and the wheel wells, the distortion probably can be contained a bit. In the end, I will not weld in any suspension pickup points before the tube frame is fully welded.

      Today I started making the shock absorber mounting flanges out of 3 mm high strength steel. In order to grind them to shape, I purchased a disc grinder the week before Christmas. As (almost) always, it needed some modifications. I had to cut part of the cover away to be able to reach all the surfaces to be ground. In order to grind the concave shapes, I put a sanding drum in my benchtop drill press. It seems to work out pretty well. Ideally I would like to have an oscillating spindle sander, but they are a bit too expensive for the few parts I will have to grind.

      Slow, but fairly steady progress!

      Name:  IMG_E0706.jpg
Views: 1644
Size:  333.6 KB



      Name:  IMG_E0747.jpg
Views: 1669
Size:  395.5 KB

      Name:  IMG_E0757.jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  271.3 KB

      A lot more pictures at https://www.facebook.com/MechanixMenace
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870


    2. #382
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden

      Tire modeling and shock absorber cross tube progress!

      I would like to have the fender openings as tight as possible to the wheels. In order to optimize this, I took the time to create some cardboard patterns of the tire shoulder from a Porsche we had at work this week. It had Michelin PS4S tires, which is what I am planning to use. The rear tires were 305/30-20 on 11" rims, and since I will use 305/30-19 on 11" rims in the rear and 255/35-19 on 9" rims in the front (which has almost the same diameter), I guess the shape must be very similar. In the CAD, I have then updated my tire models and made an envelope model of the front tire, lock to lock. This will be used to check fender lip clearance.

      I have also welded the shock absorber flanges to the cross tube, and started to rig that in place. I guessed that the tube would bend 2 mm, so I made the flanges 2 mm taller. In real life it bent 1 mm. Not that this has any effect, but I will probably correct the CAD model to keep it as correct as possible anyways!

      Name:  bil.png
Views: 1594
Size:  654.5 KB

      Name:  IMG_E0772.jpg
Views: 1583
Size:  183.1 KB

      Name:  IMG_E0778.jpg
Views: 1527
Size:  415.9 KB

      More pictures at https://www.facebook.com/MechanixMenace
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    3. #383
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden

      Front suspension parts!

      This week nothing has happened in the garage, but this Friday I picked up the Corvette C7 front suspension parts that I ordered. The lower A-arms have been on backorder for a few months, so I will have to wait a bit more before I get them. I did order the better SKF X-tracker hub bearing assemblies. They are a lot stronger and stiffer, with less camber loss and brake pad knockback.

      Name:  IMG_E0799.jpg
Views: 1494
Size:  624.5 KB
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    4. #384
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Austin, Tx
      Posts
      498
      Country Flag: United States
      Such a fun build to follow... Can't wait to see you enjoy driving this one someday!
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

      70 Camaro RS Hunk'o'Metal - Previous Project
      71 Firebird Project T.O.W. - New Project

    5. #385
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden
      Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
      Such a fun build to follow... Can't wait to see you enjoy driving this one someday!
      Thank you very much Bryan! Yeah, I hope this happens before the dinosaur juice runs out or is more expensive than gold! ;)
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    6. #386
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      Posts
      40
      cant believe its been 9 years now!

    7. #387
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden
      Quote Originally Posted by -KILO- View Post
      cant believe its been 9 years now!
      Time flies!
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    8. #388
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden

      Rear shock absorber crossmember in place!

      The rear shock absorber crossmember is now finished and fully welded in place. I have also begun welding in the first of the 1.5 mm thick sheet metal pieces that will make up the rear suspension towers. For fun I tried to adjust the camera settings in the CAD system to copy the perspective of one of the pictures I took. It came out pretty close after some trial and error.

      Name:  IMG_E0892.jpg
Views: 1376
Size:  349.6 KB

      Name:  IMG_E0901.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  360.7 KB

      Name:  23-01-29.jpg
Views: 1390
Size:  168.3 KB

      A lot more pictures at https://www.facebook.com/MechanixMenace
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    9. #389
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden

      Further progress on the rear suspension towers!

      This week I have designed and 3D printed a couple of TIG torch package holders for my welder. Previously I just had a couple of bent pieces of steel, but this caused the torch package to bend quite sharply. With the new holders, I get a nice radius, preventing damage to the torch package.

      I have also cut out sheetmetal pieces that will be the front part of the rear suspension towers. I reinforced the hole for the suspension bellcrank with 4 mm thick high strength steel plate. I made a small bevel on the edge to ease installation of the bellcrank. The hole is drilled undersize, so I can correct it's position if necessary when the chassis is fully welded.

      Name:  IMG_E0962.jpg
Views: 1301
Size:  294.1 KB

      Name:  IMG_E0966.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  265.2 KB

      Name:  IMG_E0972.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  309.4 KB

      More pictures at https://www.facebook.com/MechanixMenace
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    10. #390
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden

      Heavy physical work!

      This week I have tacked the front sheet metal pieces of the rear suspension towers in place, and during the weekend it was heavy physical work!

      Soon, I'm going to roll some sheet metal for the rear wheelwells. Therefore, over the weekend I assembled my old slip roll machine that I used when I widened some steel rims in the mid-eighties. It has been dismantled for over thirty years. Judging by the spelling on the nameplate, the machine is perhaps 100 years old, or older. The spelling "af" (of) was officially abandoned in the Swedish spelling reform of 1906.

      On Friday I started collecting all the parts. Amazingly, I found everything in just a few minutes! Nothing was missing! The stands have been outside in the old trash can room. Strangely enough, they have hardly rusted at all. The rollers have been standing in the garage against a wall. They have been rusty since I bought the machine. I moved everything into the garage and weighed everything. The heaviest stand weighed 108 kilograms (240 lbs) . In total, the entire machine weighs 520 kilograms (1150 lbs). The stands were quite heavy and exciting to juggle into place.

      Quite a large part of Friday and yesterday was spent cleaning all the sliding surfaces. In addition, I chose to grind off the rust on the rollers. The rust dust was incredibly fine, and it even got into closed drawers and cabinets! It will take many, many hours of cleanup before everything is reasonably clean again! It took many hours before the red mist in the air settled.

      When everything was cleaned, I figured out how everything would fit together. Unfortunately, I didn't have any pictures of it assembled, but in the end I was pretty sure how the stuff would fit.

      Installation started today. If I didn't have my home-made telpher, it would be basically impossible to assemble the machine. My homemade lifting yoke also came in extremely handy because you can adjust the center of gravity of what you are lifting. It's something I'm surprised that they rarely or never use on any of the car building shows on TV! If you have one, you can easily lift an engine in and out yourself.

      First I fit the two lower rollers into one of the stands. I thought correctly regarding which direction they should fit, but I executed it wrongly! I discovered that, of course, when they were in place! Sigh! I had to start all over again... They sit in cast iron sliding shoes and it was extremely nerve-wracking trying to hold all the parts by myself and guide them into each other. I was afraid of cracking the fragile castings. Thankfully it went well. Then it was time to fit the second, heaviest stand in place and guide 6 things into different holes in the stand at the same time. After much juggling back and forth, I succeeded.

      The crankshaft itself was very tricky to get in place. I had to lift the machine up and angle it heavily to make room to get the crankshaft in without hitting a wall or something. Of course, I mounted a gear in the wrong direction so the top roller wouldn't open, which meant I had to remove the big gear again, which was a pain to both get on and get off.

      In the end, everything was in place and I was able to testroll a piece! After this I showered and cleaned my aching body and had lunch at 4:30 p.m.

      Great that I found all the parts, that I got it together, that nothing broke and that it works as it should! Victory!!!!!

      Name:  IMG_E0985.jpg
Views: 1247
Size:  335.5 KB

      Name:  IMG_E0989.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  438.3 KB

      Name:  IMG_E1034.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  438.9 KB

      Many, many, many more pictures at https://www.facebook.com/MechanixMenace
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    11. #391
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      839
      Country Flag: United States
      Every time I look at this build iam both intrigued and impressed with the design and build quality along with the tenacious attitude to keep it up
      It really is inspiring Henrik.
      I like others hope you actually get to enjoy it unlike so many people who never get to finish
      Jason
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

    12. #392
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden
      Quote Originally Posted by TANKMASTERJ View Post
      Every time I look at this build iam both intrigued and impressed with the design and build quality along with the tenacious attitude to keep it up
      It really is inspiring Henrik.
      I like others hope you actually get to enjoy it unlike so many people who never get to finish
      Jason
      Thank you very much Jason!

      I really hope (and think) so too! As I have previously described, this initially was a car I bought as a substitute for a tube framed twin turboed Volvo Amazon that never was finished. When the Z will be finished, it will actually be the first really big car project I have really finished.

      I did tell a little bit about the Volvo Amazon (and other projects) in a previous post, but for anybody interested in knowing more, look here:

      https://www.facebook.com/Henrik.Schi...WNrtp6TfcUTjwl
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    13. #393
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden

      Using the roll bender for the first time in 30+ years!

      The inner wheelwell walls are now roll bent and cut to shape. Since they aren’t flat, but have a radius for stiffness reasons, I couldn’t just make a projection of the wheel well to get the shape to cut out. I had to unfold it. The arc shape is a spline, which I simplified to three radii. If I would have used just one radius, there would have been too big an error for my liking. (This can be seen in the drawing with the red arc in one of the pictures on Facebook.)

      Due to the high strength steel, there is a lot of springback, so you have to overbend it quite a bit. I think you can see that in the picture where it’s in the roll bender. So far it looks pretty good. We’ll see what happens when I weld it in.

      Name:  IMG_E1046.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  264.0 KB

      Name:  IMG_E1051.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  322.9 KB

      Name:  IMG_E1070.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  366.9 KB

      Many more pictures at https://www.facebook.com/MechanixMenace
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    14. #394
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden

      More slaughtering of the original sheet metal!

      I have seam welded the front part of the rear suspension towers and tacked the inner wheel well walls in place. Due to poor ergonomics, some of the welds are a bit crappy. I am not worried about them from a strength perspective, but it would be nice if they looked better! Today I made room for the wheel wells themselves by cutting away part of the rear quarter panels. Less and less remains of the original car...

      As I have said many times, if I would have known how far I would take the project, it would have been better to sell the car when it had the 350 engine in it and ran. After that I should have started from scratch, building a tube frame and a full fiberglass body. But, when a project goes on for as many years as this has, you incrementally tend to change the plans, as I think many will recognize.

      In the pictures, you can see how I placed the main hoop between the outer and inner quarter panel sheet metal many years ago. That took some work...

      Name:  IMG_E1142.jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  239.7 KB

      Name:  IMG_E1205.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  279.2 KB

      Name:  IMG_E1214.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  223.1 KB

      Many more pictures at https://www.facebook.com/MechanixMenace
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    15. #395
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Location
      Ma.
      Posts
      5,560
      Country Flag: United States
      I love the job your doing on the fab work !
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

    16. #396
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden
      Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
      I love the job your doing on the fab work !
      Thanks again, Wayne! Normally, everything looks pretty good until seam welding starts...
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    17. #397
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden

      Rear wheelwells have been rolled!

      I have jig sawed four pieces of particle board that will act as jigs for the rear wheelwells. The rear part of the chassis jig had to be modified to make room for them.

      I unfolded the wheelwells in the CAD and made drawings of the shape I needed to cut out. Instead of trying to draw the large radii directly on the sheetmetal, I made small scribing templates that were a lot easier to handle. To make the templates, I used a tape measure as a pair of compasses.

      After scribing and cutting out the shape of the wheelwells, I rolled them to the correct radius in my slip roller. I used my large carpenter square to make sure they didn't end up crooked. I then screwed one wheelwell to one of the particle board half circles and mocked it up roughly in the position it will be.

      One part I am a bit worried about is shaping the radiused inner edge of the wheelwell. It has quite a complicated shape due to both the angled wheelwell and the radiused inner wheelwell wall. I think I will have to make it in small hand shaped pieces. And in order to ease the shaping, I will make them from mild steel, not the high strength sheetmetal (Docol 800) I'm otherwise using.

      Name:  IMG_E1232.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  352.1 KB

      Name:  IMG_E1237.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  404.5 KB

      Name:  IMG_E1243.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  309.3 KB

      A lot more pictures at https://www.facebook.com/MechanixMenace
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    18. #398
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden

      More work on the wheelwell jig!

      The work on the jig for the left rear wheelwell has continued. I have also seam welded the rear cabin crossmember to the brackets on the b-pillars. Since I didn't manage to get a tight fit there, I filled the gaps with some steel pieces to try to reduce the amount of distortion after welding. The welds didn't turn out very nice lookswise...

      Name:  IMG_E1247.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  236.7 KB

      Name:  IMG_E1262.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  394.1 KB

      Name:  IMG_E1265.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  296.1 KB

      A few more pictures at https://www.facebook.com/MechanixMenace
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    19. #399
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Location
      Luling TX In the Hot Rod Shop
      Posts
      391
      Country Flag: United States
      I need to poke over here more often. Much easier that FaceTubes to view.
      Click here for my build thread
      Dad's Down and Dirty
      http://www.nerdrods.com
      @NerdRods - Instagram

    20. #400
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden
      Quote Originally Posted by rat_rod_russell View Post
      I need to poke over here more often. Much easier that FaceTubes to view.
      Do you think so, Russell? The downside is that I don't post nearly as many pictures here due to the limited storage and the long time it takes to upload and insert pictures.
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870

    Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast


    Tags for this Thread


    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com