Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 5 of 5
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      Mt. Washington, KY
      Posts
      96
      Country Flag: United States

      Project: Red Dead Rust Bucket 70 Mustang convertible

      Ok, I've been on this forum for a while and I've posted a few times about my car but I have decided that I need to start a project thread to show my progress of the car. I've had this thing for a year now and I'm getting the itch to get have another car that I can enjoy since I sold my 2004 GTO three years ago.

      So here she is in all her glory. Originally sold in Denver, it made its way to Washington state at some point and I bought it off of eBay and had it shipped 2000 miles to my house. From the pictures, I didn't think it look too bad for a $900 car. However, the car was completely stripped of everything when it got here.






      The engine that came with the car turned out to be junk so it made its way to the scrap yard. Had three cracked cylinders so there was no point in repairing it.



      I started collecting some parts here and there over the past few months. I've gotten a hold of a pair of hard to find convertible quarter extensions over the summer. I've bought new fender aprons, door mounting plates, a picked up a new radiator support from Kentucky Mustangs at the swap meet last week.

      I looked for some pictures of cutting out the aprons but I can't seem to find them on this computer. Long story short, someone replaced the original aprons and core support to a '68 style. Maybe that's all they could get at the time but it caused everything to not line up properly with the fenders and everything else.

      I did get some time to work on the car today taking out the radiator support. It wasn't easy as they butt welded everything together instead of using rosette welds. I don't think they cut out the original support using a spot weld cutter because the strut rod brackets look like they've been cut with an acetylene torch. So we've got to get a new pair of those as well.






      So this project is going to take a long time and a lot of hours to complete obviously. I'm hoping to have a fair share of the sheet metal work done by the end of the year. If anyone has some 70 specific parts that they'd like to get rid of for cheap just PM and I'll take them off your hands.

      Any questions, comments or thoughts would definitely be appreciated.

    2. #2
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Location
      London, Ontario
      Posts
      294
      Wow, only 22 with that trim/paint code.

      73 Maverick Grabber Project

      My never ending project:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...hlight=grabber

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      Mt. Washington, KY
      Posts
      96
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
      Wow, only 22 with that trim/paint code.
      I hate red cars but love red interiors. I think I'll keep it with the original colors just because it was so freaking ugly but kind of cool at the same time. lol



    4. #4
      Join Date
      Dec 2013
      Location
      Timberville, Va
      Posts
      28
      Country Flag: United States
      Mach Par, what all do you need? I have a 70 mustang coup in my shop that we are reskinning the roof,,customer bought a 70 coup parts car from the scape yard..it has all the front end peices as in fenders core support and inner fender wells all oringinal. let me know and I'll check with the customer,,I'm sure he'll help you out with some parts.

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      Mt. Washington, KY
      Posts
      96
      Country Flag: United States
      PMed you Mike!




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com