Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Nfme 2014

Nfme 2014

That stands for the National F-body Motorsports Event. This is an annual event and has been going on for the last 18 years at various race tracks across the country. This year it returns to Memphis Motor Sports Park.

Some might think this event is about cars, going fast, racing around the road course, drag strip and autocross. They might think it's about finding that "next level" of performance in the car that they've adopted and made their baby. They would be right and wrong.

It's more than that.

First some history. NFME started out with a bunch of guys who owned GM F-body cars on an email list serve. For you youngsters that came to the internet in the last 10 years, a list serve is a shared email list. It's a way to send one email and it goes to everyone who has chosen to subscribe to that list. The official list serve of the NFME is [email protected] and you can join it by going to this web site:

http://fbody-event.org/mailman/listi...body-event.org

The regular web site and online registration is here:

http://www.fbody-event.org

After a few regional F-body track days across the country, members of the national list thought one large get-together for all was in order. Memphis was chosen due to its central location and because its track facilities could host drag racing, road course, and autocross. Since the inaugural year, 1996, the annual event has also been held in St. Louis and Indianapolis with most years in Memphis or Indy.

As the event grew it tried to include all generations of F-body cars. Enthusiasts with everything from a 1967 Camaro to a 2002 Trans Am would attend. Good natured rivalries between the "classic" crew and the more modern cars created a fun atmosphere and competition.

And for these many years this tradition has continued. After GM announced the death of the F-body line in 2002 the decision was made to open the event to all makes and models since many of the regular attendees wanted to trade up to the latest production performance cars. But the spirit of the event has not changed. Some may be driving late model Mustangs, Cadillac CTSVs or Corvettes but the idea is still the same.

Case and point was this past year. A long time participant had a problem with is Corvette. The puddle of oil didn't look good. Another participant offered his trailer and winch to help. A first time attendee loaned his jumper pack for power and they managed to winch him onto the trailer. Then, once on the trailer, a local guy offered space in his garage until the wounded car's owner could work out getting the car transported to his home in Chicago. Then the trailer's owner spoke up to say that since he was in Iowa and Chicago was "only" five hours out of his way he'd haul the car home for him.

That, in a nutshell, is the spirit of NFME. You will never find a more like minded group of car enthusiast who support each other and compete. Most of what we do at NFME had nothing to do with an ET or who wins. It is all about the friendships, the fun and love of the hobby. It's about the time spent learning that each of those who attend is special in their own way. Friendships that last life times are made and nurtured at this gathering.

Another thing to note is that this is about volunteers. No one is paid to keep this going. The current administrator puts HIS money on the line every year to make this happen. If it falls short due to registrations and lack of sponsors that money comes out of his pocket. But that goes to show what this thing does to people. He's willing to risk thousands of dollars to be sure everyone has the opportunity to experience what he knows to be one of the greatest automotive opportunities you'll find.

Then there are those who volunteer their time to do all the little things to make time for everyone else on track. I won't mention any names but there are some who do much more than the others. So if you attend, take time to volunteer to do something. That means everyone else gets equal chances to get on track and enjoy their car. It's really pretty simple and an hour or two per day could make a big difference on the enjoyment by those who are already helping out. If you're wondering how, just ask. Someone will be happy to tell you how you can help.

I have done everything I know to entice people to attend this event. Those who have joined me have become devotees. Why? You have to be there to get it. I can't explain this phenomenon. Do it once and it's like crack. You can't wait for the next hit.

Get off your butts and attend. You will not regret it.

If anyone has any questions shoot me a PM or post here. I'll help any way I can. This is a bargain when you look at the fees for other HPDE days.

Great news! The web site has been fixed and the sponsors are now accepting single day registrations. So if you can only make it on Saturday, sign up now! You won't find a better buy for track time or better people and for those who do road course, the track was re-paved last year. Nice smooth asphalt.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com