Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

NC: Ford 8" Rear End from '66 Mustang

Folks, I'm changing rear ends, and thus, have one for sale. I built this rear end for a street-use 1966 Mustang, using a correct-width housing (57.25" from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface).

Reconditioned housing with all new components - bearings, seals, vent, etc.

Ford Racing 8" 3rd member with 3.55 ring and pinion gears (new), Ford Traction-Loc Limited slip differential (new), and new axles with 5x4.5" (standard) lug pattern. 3.55 gears were a great street setup, a good balance between torque and fuel economy.

Brakes are all new - shoes, hardware, drums, etc. and are in good condition. The parking brake cables are included.

This unit has about 3,000 miles of run time on it since the original build.

Pricing: It's tough to figure out what something like this is worth, so here's what I did:
      Used housing: $350 on Ebay
      New Axles: $475 (Currie)
      New drums, shoes, hardware ~$150 (Mustangs Plus)
      Bearings and Seals $100
      Parking Brake Cables - who knows? I'll just throw 'em in, as I don't have a use for them.
      3rd member, 3.55 ratio, Traction-Loc, refurbished with new gears and consumables: $1130 (Currie)

So, if you wanted a period-correct 8" rear end, but with a decent performance gear ratio and limited-slip, you'd pay about $2205, and then you'd have to build it. That's ridiculous. I think $1000 sounds much more reasonable. Of course, it's worth exactly what someone will pay for it, so it'll go to the highest bidder - make me an offer! I'm located in Morehead City, NC. PM or email me if you're interested, or send me a text at (252) 646-two nine nine seven.

Thanks!

-Matt
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com