Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 17 of 17

    Threaded View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Mar 2007
      Location
      Mission Viejo, CA
      Posts
      631
      Country Flag: United States

      My dad's '65 gto restoration

      I am starting this build thread for my fathers '65 Tempest (GTO Clone). This is a car that I have been familiar with for close to 25 years. It was owned by a very close friend of mine. We have known each other since high school and have both built high powered Pontiacs while comparing notes about each others cars. My father has been into cars his whole life, and owned a lot of cool cars back in the day when they were new. Since I have built a few cars over the years, we always had the car thing in common. Last year my dad started asking me questions about this muscle car he saw here or there, and thought maybe he wanted to get something for himself. So after a few months I asked him how serious he was. At the same time my friend was telling me he was putting the GTO up for sale. Meantime my dad is telling me about a Nova, Chevelle, Mustang, etc. he saw online or at a local cruise night for sale. I wanted him to get a good car that was pretty much all there but not break the bank. Since I have always been into Pontiacs, I personally would rather see him get a Pontiac, so I told him about the GTO. It had everything that I would have considered mandatory, a fresh low mileage well built roller cammed 455, TH400, 12 bolt with 3.36's and the most important thing...no rust. A real solid car (and fast as hell) that needed some TLC and cosmetics. My buddy Steve had already put all the factory GTO equipment on the car years ago before most of the reproduction parts were available. So my dad struck a deal to buy the car. It had not been driven regularly for quite a few years, so it needed some work done. My dad and I put a plan together to restore the car rather than spend the money needed to get it roadworthy just to take the car apart anyway. So we started a few months ago. The motor and trans are out and the exhaust is cut out. Since I have done a body off restoration on my Grand Am twice, I felt comfortable taking this car on. We have power washed the undercarriage and I planned to clean, primer and paint the frame, replace the body bushings, and undercoat the floors and wheel wells. My dad is familiar with the attention to detail I have on my GA and all the powdercoating of the frame and other parts. So we have now decided to just take the frame out and powdercoat it along with all of the brackets, core support, inner fenderwells, etc. This a one time deal and I want him to have no regrets. My father travels quite a bit so a lot of the work will fall to me, but I am happy to do it which gives me more time to spend with him and my younger brother who is a car guy as well. Since it is not a real GTO, we are changing the color to a Toyota color called Aloe Metallic Green. It is a beautiful color, sort of close to an original GTO color of Palmetto Green. Interior will change to Parchment, and probably go with a medium to dark green carpet. The motor just needs to be freshened up with a paint job and some gaskets. So the plan is to get the frame and all the parts sent out for powder in the next few weeks, then the car into pant in August. I plan to have my GA back together by the end of year as well as the GTO, then the plan is to go to all the local car shows and events together next year. One last detail, we are doing this whole project in his one car garage!
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/52x0mlp3wn...2017.23.44.jpg
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/ojeb7juoh6...2016.28.36.jpg
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/2uqsw22un0...2017.25.06.jpg
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4j4mags0v...2017.24.17.jpg

      1973 Hurst Edition Pontiac Grand Am: 430 CI of ERL built LS7, Tremec Magnum T-56 6-speed, Global West / Speedtech Suspension, Custom rear coil-over suspension, QA1 double adjustable shocks, Wilwood 6/4 piston disc brakes, Modulare C1 19" concave wheels. Shooting for 625 HP and 20 MPG!




    Tags for this Thread


    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com