Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 4 of 4
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Location
      Warsaw / Poland
      Posts
      11
      Country Flag: Poland

      What to choose, what to pick - for high HP.

      Hi guys,

      I'm in a process of gathering parts for restoring 77 TA from ground up - the idea behind it is to get something that is in the middle between drag car and pro-touring one. Got complete Speedtech Performance suspension already.
      I'm talking with Steve Morris about building an engine for me. The idea is to build 540 big block with F2 on it, so the output will be around 1000-1200 hp without intercooler.
      Now I'm wondering about a tranny that will survive that kind of power for a longer period of time, still be usable on the street and survive some weekneds on the track. I do need overdrive for sure - dont want to do 3700 rpm at 70MPH. My current rearend ratio is 3.73.

      What transmission do you guys suggest for that, and what builder is capable of build a reliable unit. Turbo 400 ? 4L80E, 85E ???
      At first I was thinking about strong Magnum manual - but then again - manual tranny with that kind of power might not be best solution for track etc.
      I could use some practical advice.



      thanks in advance.
      Pengvisor


    2. #2
      Join Date
      May 2011
      Location
      Chippewa Falls, WI
      Posts
      290
      Country Flag: United States
      I love the 80e, good aftermarket support and seems to hold the power well when done right.
      Justin N.

      1966 Chevelle
      1992 GMC Typhoon
      1989 Jeep Wrangler CJ 6.0 Twin Turbo
      1981 Jeep CJ7

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      Location
      Woodstock, IL
      Posts
      2,410
      Country Flag: United States

      What to choose, what to pick - for high HP.

      Call Mark Bowler of Bowler Transmissions!

      He has built several 1000+hp 4L85's for us.

      -Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

      Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Location
      Warsaw / Poland
      Posts
      11
      Country Flag: Poland
      So I guess 4L85E wins all. Thanks for the info - will check Mark Bowler.




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com