Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 13 of 13

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Maine
      Posts
      594

      Datsun 240Z gets a chopped-top

      Hey guys,

      Well, I thought about just posting this in my big thread dedicated to my new 240Z project... but this is just so cool I wanted to write a whole new thread about it!



      I decided that I wanted to lower the roofline on my 240Z and give the windshield a bit more of a rake. Well, today I started cutting and now the car has a lowered roof. Only took about 8 hours to do! I still have a little welding and grinding to do, but it is basically done.

      Check out the pics. Before and after...

      Hmmm... doesn't seem to want to upload my pics. Well, I'll have some posted on my website soon if they don't show up here.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      John





    2. #2
      Join Date
      Jun 2002
      Location
      Long Island, NY
      Posts
      11,320
      Country Flag: United States
      John,

      Looks great!!! It looks like two different cars, nice work!

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Oct 2004
      Location
      Macon, Ga.
      Posts
      8,085
      Country Flag: United States
      That is cool. It gives the car an Italian sports car look if you know what I mean. I am guessing the rear hatch will still fit without mods. Looks like 8 hours well spent.
      Bill

      Trailers are for BOATS!

    4. #4
      Join Date
      May 2002
      Location
      Northern California
      Posts
      10,716
      Country Flag: United States
      Nice progress, you know after looking at that, this wouldbe a cool idea...have a Charger style wing back and use a 69 Vette or Honda DelSol roll down type back window. can't wait to see more.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε


    5. #5
      Join Date
      Mar 2005
      Location
      Belfair, WA
      Posts
      16
      I think it looks kind of like a Chrysler Crossfire. Very cool

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Jun 2001
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      10,604
      Country Flag: United States
      Agreed: very nice.

      Are the front and rear window openings still the same size? The hardest part of chopping a roof is getting the glass to fit again ... keep us posted on how all that works out. Most "chop the roof" stories don't cover that.

      jp
      ​John Parsons

      UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

      UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Nov 2000
      Location
      O-town
      Posts
      4,330
      Country Flag: United States
      Wild, I agree Italian sports car type, keep going!

      Aer you still doing the body like Darius's
      Steve68- 1968 Camaro SS LSX T56, 12bolt 3:90's, 18" Fikse Profil 13s, Deep Fathom Green paint, Spearcos, just bunch of old junk because another member said so, LOL



      70 Nova SS street/drag 454, T400, 3:55, ugly!

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Maine
      Posts
      594
      Thanks for the responses guys!

      Yeah... about the glass... well, it ain't gonna fit anymore! Actually, none of it will fit anymore. I had hoped that the windshield channel would remain somewhat the same, but I just wanted too much rake.

      As for the side windows, they could be made to fit with some cutting... but I'm not sure if this is possible on tempered glass. The rear quarter windows I planned on just making out of lexan anyway. I'll probably make new rear glass out of lexan as well. I would like to maintain functional door windows though, but I have not yet figured out what I will do about that.

      The hatch will not fit anymore either because I pulled the roof back so far. But, I planned on not keeping the hatch. Well, I may reuse what I have and modify it, but the plan is to make it an affixed piece rather than an openable hatch. So, I might trim down the current hatch and weld it in... or I'll make a new piece out of fiberglass.

      I will certainly be sure to include a writeup of how I solve the glass problem when I get to that point on my website.

      My next step with the car now is to get it ready for all of the custom fiberglass work I plan to do. = )
      John




    9. #9
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Maine
      Posts
      594
      MR Quick,

      I'm not familiar with how the roll down rear window works. I planned to just keep the window flush with the roofline though.

      Steve68,

      It will involve lots of custom fiberglass like Darius' car, but I think it will look very different when I am done. I'm looking to make a car that looks a little closer to this...
      http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures?userid={7DC317B0-8EDB-4B2E-A837-F708D07C9769}&inv=9C67398D46D99D9&userid={7DC317B0-8EDB-4B2E-A837-F708D07C9769}&AlbumId={3CEF2C28-3C52-4815-BB6C-C63C07278985}&inv=9C67398D46D99D9&GroupId={3509F54 1-ED66-4885-A9A5-19AFBC9720CA}

      Sorry the link is so long... I hope it works.
      John




    10. #10
      Join Date
      Sep 2004
      Location
      Wilmington NC
      Posts
      242
      Country Flag: United States
      WOW!!!

      That guy did some nice fab work on that Z hu!

      I love your roof chop! that looks awesome! :icon996:

      My friend picked up a 280Z to resell, I was thinking of picking it up untill I went to go see it and it was a 2+2, I don't even think a chop would fix that roof line

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      2,314
      Country Flag: Canada
      Wow, what a difference. How much did you chop it?
      About the glass, I've heard that tempered saftey glass can be cut, but it's tricky, usually requires a few "practice pieces".
      Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

    12. #12
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Maine
      Posts
      594
      Kenova,

      I think in total the roof moved down about 4'' and the windshield was raked another 3-4''. I actually made two cuts... the first cut was a vertical cut at the rear of the roof which allowed me to pull the roof backwards 3''. I then made a pie-shaped cut along the sail panel (B-pillar, quarter... whatever you want to call it).

      As I pulled the roof back and down I was able to line it up with the lowered sail panel piece... so I was able to keep the gentle arc of the roof. It looks completely continuous... there is no change in angle on the roof.

      At present with no engine, trans, interior, or differential (with suspension standing at full extension) the car is about 48'' tall. When I fab the custom suspension and load it down with weight, I'm guessing it will be about 42'' tall. = )

      AND, I will still have plenty of head room. ; )
      John




    13. #13
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Västerås, Sweden
      Posts
      395
      Country Flag: Sweden

      Cool with another chopped 240Z!

      Hi John,

      Is this build still ongoing? We have a very similar roofline! It would be cool to know where you´re at right now!

      Henrik
      Henrik

      "Mechanix Menace": A chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified Datsun 240Z

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z
      https://www.youtube.com/@mechanixmenace870




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com