PDA

View Full Version : AME first gen Max-g wms measurement

Eric Howell
05-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Anyone with a C6 based Art Morrison front clip or frame want to share the WMS measurement? The car I'm building should be close and I need to figure out headers.
Thanks in advance for any help.

andrewb70
05-11-2013, 09:11 AM
WMS?

Andrew

Bryce
05-11-2013, 01:25 PM
WMS?

Andrew

Wheel Mating Surface

andrewb70
05-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Wheel Mating Surface

Is that what we used to call "track width?"

Andrew

wiedemab
05-11-2013, 06:11 PM
I may be wrong in my thinking, but I've always thought of track width to be measured to the center-line of the contact patch (or wheel), which could vary depending on wheel offset and width.

A quick Google search shows diagrams for Track Width both to the outer edge of the tires and to the center.................... Hmmmmmmmm. It's probably likely either way you measure track width it would differ from Wheel Mount Surfaces.

Anyone know the "real/right" def. for track width?

Another quick Google search shows that on AME's site they list 2 different "track widths" for what they call their C6 front suspension.

http://www.artmorrison.com/images/trucks/quanztrk-t624.jpg

57.5" and 60.5". It may be that this dimension is actually the WMS measurement that you are looking for. How to know for sure? I'm going to say that giving them a call is going to be the only way short of finding one and measuring it.

Ron.in.SoCal
05-12-2013, 07:59 AM
What does wheel mount surface (or track width) have to do with your header choice? Maybe you were asking two different questions?

snappytravis
05-12-2013, 10:50 AM
I bought stainless works headers, they didn't line up with the cutouts in the crossmember. So fyi, When each company build a sub-frame, they use certain components for mock up, Morisson sells there own headers probably don't make them but they sell a set that fits there sub-frame, also engine adaptor plates, need to know what they use, and pan, I know I did it all bass ackwards, I would call them they should be able to send you the info your looking for or look on there website there is a lot of stuff on there under directions, ( I don't read them but they may come in handy) good luck
Travis In West Wyo,,

Eric Howell
05-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Thank you for all the replies.
WMS and track width are different. WMS is rotor to rotor width while track can vary because it is based of off center of tread so tire width makes track vary.

What does wheel mount surface (or track width) have to do with your header choice? Maybe you were asking two different questions?WMS is what decides where the suspension hard points are which in turn will determine frame rail width. Frame width in turn is header clearance. See where I'm coming from?

Left out the F body part in the first post. Seems they are close to what I am looking for.

David Pozzi
05-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Right at the top of this forum section: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?93536-What-is-the-WMS-measurement-(Wheel-Mount-Surface)

Eric Howell
05-26-2013, 08:05 AM
Not asking track width, that varies with tire/ rim width and offset. WMS or hub to hub is all I need.
I honestly don't want to call AME and waste their time acting like I'm going to buy something that I will build myself. Was looking to you guys for a simple answer to a simple question.
Is it 58.5", 59.5" or 60"?

Ron.in.SoCal
05-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Thank you for all the replies.
WMS and track width are different. WMS is rotor to rotor width while track can vary because it is based of off center of tread so tire width makes track vary.
WMS is what decides where the suspension hard points are which in turn will determine frame rail width. Frame width in turn is header clearance. See where I'm coming from?

Left out the F body part in the first post. Seems they are close to what I am looking for.

Eric, I think the easy question is what is the interior frame rail measurement? But I get that you're backing into the number. I'll get into my car next weekend (f-body) and get you a number if you're still looking.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/05/IMG_2471-1.jpg (http://s885.photobucket.com/user/flash911/media/Build%20Thread/IMG_2471.jpg.html)

Eric Howell
05-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Ron, that would be great. Thank you.

David Pozzi
05-30-2013, 05:32 PM
I have a Morrison Sub for my 67, just put the suspension on it and measured track width today. I put LG drop spindles on mine and cranked in 2 deg neg camber. It measures 60 1/4". with brake rotors on it.