PDA

View Full Version : General front suspension install questions...

tripower
07-11-2005, 04:12 PM
Gents,

I've started to install the full GW front set up on my A-body (upper As, springs, lower dels, new sway, etc.). The engine is out of the car, so I have no idea of actual ride height with the new springs (S-5). I'm also installing the Baer Track system with B-body spindles.

(1) Other than the sway bar having to be set up and torqued while the vehicle is on the ground, are there any other components that I can't torque while it's "on the rack"? Will the engine not being installed be a problem for properly setting it up?

(2) After the install, I measured the left and right front from the ground to the lower edge of the wheel well. I come up with the passenger side as being maybe .25" taller than the drivers side. Should I worry at this point? Mind that the engine is not installed in the car so I have no idea how much the srpings will settle once I reinstall the engine. I seated the springs in the bottom perches per GW recommendation the same for both sides.

Thanks in advance for your input.

derekf
07-11-2005, 04:20 PM
1) Don't tighten the LCA bolts with the car in the air.

2) Verify that the springs on both sides are fully seated in the pockets (top and bottom). Check various measurements: LBJ to ground, frame at rear LCA mount to ground, etc.

tripower
07-11-2005, 04:45 PM
I actually did tighten the LCAs while it was up. Should I loosen and re-torque the LCA bolts with the car on the ground?

I'll take the various measurments. Thanks for the tip. GW said that with these springs on an A-body, seating the spring in the lower perch was most important and and that the tighter coiled side of the spring (closer coils) should go to the top and would seat close to the original positions.

derekf
07-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Yes, I'd loosen the LCA bolts until the car is on the ground - and bounce the car a few times before tightening them up.

tripower
07-12-2005, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the feedback...rookie error on my part! :)

Maybe this accounts for the .25" difference in height on the right side if the LCAs are binding due to being tightened in the air.

70L34
07-21-2005, 09:41 AM
With a bearing-type bushing (e.g. Del-a-Lum) it will not matter whether you torque the pivot points on the ground or in the air. It does matter with conventional bonded bushings like the OE rubber-core designs that shear through the range of suspension motion.

I would check to make sure your front coils are properly indexed. This is an easy way to stagger the front ride height. If that's been properly done, it's possible that 1) your body bushings are toast, allowing one side to sag, or 2) something in the chassis is bent.

Your GTO looks a lot like mine--same wheels, even!! Got pics?

tripower
07-21-2005, 12:18 PM
It actually did make a difference torquing the LCAs unloaded with the Del-a-Lums. Once I loosened the LCA bolts and dropped the car, the car lowered further and I torqued them to spec.

The front looks decent and left to right sides are within 1/8".

I'll see if I can dig up a pic. Can you post pics of yours?

70L34
07-23-2005, 08:06 AM
I'd say that if the ride height really did change with the GW bushings when the torquing happened in the air vs. on the ground, I would suspect a binding problem somewhere in the front end. The del-a-lum bushings allow full suspension range of motion on the front end because they are true bearings. I bet the settling of the ride height would have happened after the first test drive. Regardless, I'm glad that fixed the problem-and that's the goal, right?

I'll try to snap a few pics of the car this weekend.

David Pozzi
07-23-2005, 12:49 PM
I agree with 70L34.
There is nothing in the GW bushings to bind or twist like a rubber bushing would.
There might be some pressure/friction on the sides of the bushing, but a fiew bounces should take care of that.
David

tripower
07-25-2005, 12:27 PM
It may have been the pressure on the sides of the bushing. All's well in the end! This last weekend was rear suspension time. That was much simpler.