PDA

View Full Version : Rust rust and spilt paint

creekwood08
09-26-2011, 04:26 PM

Well Im about to order my suspension stuff and gonna get all that done before I do body work. The trunk is rusty around the shock tower and has some surface rust. Whats the best think to spray the rust with to hopfully to keep the rust from growing. I also plan on spraying somekind of textured paint in the trunk for the time beeing to have it look just a tad better. Is that raptor
stuff I see on here alot the best stuff for this job. I thought about spraying some rustoleum then the textured paint. What you think? Dont pay attention to the dates....had to put batteries in camera and didnt feel like setting the date.

67 ls1 vert
09-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Looks to me that the problem area is right next to the wheel tub. Ever think about installing mini tubs?
That looks like that would cut out most of the rust.

You really need to cut it out and replace with new metal.

If you are going to mask it then take a wire wheel and clean it good before you do any painting. Not the right way to fix it but...

creekwood08
09-26-2011, 05:19 PM
My plan is to mini tub ASAP but the front suspension of the car is in desperate need of repair and while im at it Im going to just go ahead and put the 4 link and rear end in soon after. But as of alot of ppl $ aint just falling out of my pockets....I wish it was so the trunk is being put on hold.

67 ls1 vert
09-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Good luck with it. A floor patch is really cheap if you know how to weld.

Keep an eye on that area, it's right next to the shocks and they could pop through if its weak around it.

grenade inspector
09-27-2011, 04:29 PM
personally I would take care of structural issues before I started upgrading the suspension, what use is an f1 suspension on a flexing chassis?

creekwood08
09-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Im going with suspension because the front end is so bad its dangerous to drive. All the front end stuff looks to be stock. Everything is very worn and aged.

creekwood08
09-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Im gonna have my body guy check it out this saturday. I could do it but would rather a pro to do it and plus hell give me a good rate bc its my dads high school buddy and he can pull it in while they not busy. But was hoping to get through till next winter but might have to move that time frame up.

John510
09-28-2011, 09:21 PM
dont paint over rust. Cant put a band aid on cancer. Cut out the bad rust and wire wheel all the surface rust. You can wire wheel a whole trunk in about 4 hours. Just wear a mask.