PDA

View Full Version : L92/6L90e performance mods in 67 Camaro

Bobs 67Camaro
04-27-2011, 05:23 PM
I am in the process of putting a L92/6L90e into my 67 Camaro. I will have to put an LS3 intake on for hood clearance, and thought I may do a Cam as well.

I would like to do a cam, VVT elimination kit, and perhaps a torque converter. Does any one have any suggestions? I recently purchased a speedtech sub frame system and rear torque arm suspension, so my budget is a little beat. I am trying to make a cost effective choice with engine mods. I also plan to run my stock manifolds until I have enough money for full length headers.

Cam, LS3 intake, VVT elim, and a torque converter....

Thanks for your help.

Bob Fox.

Bobs 67Camaro
04-28-2011, 03:52 PM
I called Mast Motorsports, and they can provide a VVT cam (the SS Cam), which provides 540 HP (assuming headers, LS3 intake, and a tune). They sell the for $400. This seems like a good deal to me. Does anyone have any experience?

I also called Yank, and their torque converter (9.5"--245mm, 3200 stall) is around 800. I am not sure I absolutely need one, but I might try without (it would enable me to buy stainless works headers instead....

Chad-1stGen
05-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Bobby,

I've been researching L92 info for a few days now online. Man am I behind at work now lol. Anyhow, VVT is slowly catching on with more and more vendors supporting it. In choosing your cam I would consider who you are going to have tune the setup and their familiarity with VVT. Mast will only share tuning info including the phasing settings if you buy their ECU. Comp cams has several off the shelf VVT cams but no tuning help. Texas speed will supply new phasing settings if you buy one of their cams BUT they won't even tell you the spec of the cam. Pat G who is a favorite on LS1tech.com will custom spec cams and has noted on the board over there that you can really make a lot of power in the midrange by adjusting the cam phasing. He does mail order tunes.

At the end of the day it seems you are much better off working with someone local who can dyno tune the cam and knows what they are doing with the VVT phasing.

From all the reading I"ve been doing a lot of people are divided on the huge intake and exhaust separation in duration that the Mast cams use. It is interesting to note that lots of cams VVT or not that first came out with the L92 heads favored large splits between intake and exhaust duration but more recent designs seem to be going away from it more...