PDA

View Full Version : Body Work Tools

Crestronwizard
01-18-2011, 08:18 AM
I am going to tackle doing the body work on project TechnoStang. Basically a couple of floor pan patch panels and a decision on the quarters. A little rust on both wheel wells and a a crease on one. Planning to just do full quarters on both. I have a welder, plasma cutter and air compressor. That's about it. What else does everyone recommend? Thanks!

dhutton
01-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Get yourself something like this and a bunch of Roloc discs:
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/ingersoll-rand-angle-die-grinder-kit-ir301-32mk-p-11429.aspx

A small cutoff wheel with thin discs is handy to have. A hammer and dolly starter kit is also a good idea.

ssealeycpa
01-18-2011, 01:45 PM
I would suggest some spot weld drill bits and a panel separator knife. Drill out your spotwelds first (on the quarter panels to be replaced) before cutting any material out (this will brace the metal for the force from the drill and also minimize distortion on the metal that stays). Also get the Paintucation video on body panel replacement (Summit racing or Eastwood). Kevin Tetz is a good instructor and actually does a full and partial quarter panel replacement on a Mustang. Make sure you have had a Tetnus shot and good luck!

Crestronwizard
01-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Thanks!

icemanrd19
06-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Anyone know the difference between ingersoll rand ir429 and ir429g reciprocating saw? I need to buy one this week

renegade6
06-25-2014, 05:46 PM
Body hammers and some dollies will help too. If you can find a deal on a stud welder and puller, they are really great for areas where you can't reach behind to put a dolly.

renegade6
06-25-2014, 05:49 PM
When you buy a right angle die grinder, spending a little extra will get you one that is more efficient and uses less air. The aircat ones are pretty reasonable and don't use a bunch of air. The angle die grinder is one of my most used tools when doing body work. The 3M purple rolloc discs last significantly longer than the paper backed ones.

Death trap
06-26-2014, 06:16 PM
I would suggest some spot weld drill bits and a panel separator knife. Drill out your spotwelds first (on the quarter panels to be replaced) before cutting any material out (this will brace the metal for the force from the drill and also minimize distortion on the metal that stays).

X2 even the spot weld cutters from HF are decent when used properly.