PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank Vent

TERMN8OR
06-28-2009, 10:56 AM
on a 69 camaro where is the gas tank vent suppose to connect to ?
It a stock tank that has been sumped. I have a vented gas cap, but when I run the car for a few minutes and then shut it down the gas shoots out of what I believe to be the vent.
It's located on the passenger side of the tank.... Where should this connect to ????

HELP !!!!

68nate
06-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Is it one of the two lines coming out of the factory sending unit? If so I would think it is the factory return line. If you're running a pressure and return out of the sump, I would cap and clamp the two factory lines. Because both lines are submerged, any pressure in the tank would push fuel out.

TERMN8OR
06-28-2009, 04:36 PM
I don't think it is coming from the sending unit. Is looks like a factory vent that is located on the rt side of the tank.

68nate
06-28-2009, 04:53 PM
I was thinking they didn't use a vent on the tank until 1970, when they started using evap canisters. I could be mistaken.

TERMN8OR
06-29-2009, 06:02 AM
I tried taking my gas cap off yesterday after I heated up the car. Nothing poured out of the vent line after that.
Could my cap be bad ?

JEFFTATE
06-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Maybe your cap isn't really vented.
and it's building up pressure.

Usually , the stock '69 tanks didn't have a vent.
You say the tank has been " sumped ".
What do you mean ? Like , someone added a deep sump to the bottom of the stock tank ??
Maybe they added a vent also.
The vent is not supposed to go anywhwere , unless you have added an EVAP system charcoal cannister.
Otherwise , just route the vent hose up high and put a small breather filter on it.

If you have a non-vented cap , then it will build up pressure and push out the vent hose.

TERMN8OR
06-29-2009, 05:38 PM
The tank is a stock replacement tank. I had a deep sump added to the tank. The gas cap that I have says "vented" on it.
What type of breather would you use on the vent ?

JEFFTATE
06-30-2009, 05:13 AM
See this thread :

There is a good pic of a vent filter :https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55204&highlight=vent

TERMN8OR
06-30-2009, 05:36 AM
This is a link to the gas cap I have. It this good enough, or should I get something different ?

http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=camaro6769&Product_Code=XTC-149

JEFFTATE
06-30-2009, 06:30 AM
There's nothing wrong with that type of gas cap.
That's what the cars originally had.
The original gas caps were vented because the tank was not vented.
The only problem is , under hard acceleration or hard cornering , the original vented caps will seep ,or leak ,or vent and you can smell gas around the rear of the car.
( They'll also slosh fuel out onto the rear license plate )

That is not a big problem unless somebody has an open flame around the rear of the car.

If you want to eliminate any sloshing problem , you can put a non-vented cap on the car and put a vent tube/hose in the tank.
My guess is that someone has already added a vent to your tank and the vent hose is routed too low and is letting liquid come out. ( Instead of just vapor pressure )
Is there a vent hose or pipe ????
It should be hung up ( as high as possible ) under the car.

TERMN8OR
06-30-2009, 12:30 PM
It appears that I was wrong.... I went under the car, and the line doesn't look like a vent. It appears to be coming from the top of the tank. It this the return line from the sender ?
Can I plug this up and clamp it ?

JEFFTATE
06-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Yep , you can plug it off.
Just keep an eye on the fuel tank and make sure it doesn't build up pressure after driving.