PDA

View Full Version : Penny Version 1.2

Pages : [1] 2

Steve1968LS2
05-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Well tomorrow, May 31st, Penny goes onto the frame rack to get pulled back into shape. Hard to believe it's been three weeks already since she was hit.

A check from State Farm arrived today for $21,508.52 so that's a good thing. After the shop goes past this amount (and they will) State Farm said they will do supplemental checks until the car is completely fixed.

When I called State Farm to double check on this the adjuster, Kathy, said "OH! The Camaro!".. turns out everyone in the office had been checking out pictures of the car online. lol. They want me to send them copies of the August Super Chevy when it comes out. I must give State Farm an A+ so far in how they handled the claim. Then again, it was thier guys fault and he had a super high liability limit.

Anyways, let the games begin.. again. I will detail the rebuild of Penny and drop in little tidbits of how it is to deal with insurance.
She will look much the same as she did before except she will have an FUEL SAFE fuel cell with internal Bosch pump. The new tank will hang down less and have a cleaner look. It will also be safer then my old design with the exposed lines. Capacity will be almost 19 gallons. I had wanted 22 gallons but no off the shelf tank fit between my narrowed frame rails. That's certainly enough range.
I also want to take the time to up the gears to 4.10's and drop in some Recaro Seats. I will also have the backspace of the front wheels increased from 6.5 to 6.75 and swap from 600lb to 450lb springs.

The overall look of the car will stay the same except BOS will now have painted the whole car and that's a good thing. ETA is early August. I can also get little things like my e-brake handle, fire suppression system, GPS track system and stuff installed.
So, the first picture will be our starting point...

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Steve1968LS2
05-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Oh, and I plan on adding the CF hood from Stenod. Painted on the top and CF underneath. Might leave an accent stripe along the side of the cowl to show off the CF. It only weighs 19lbs compared to the 50+ pound stocker.

rickk
05-30-2007, 06:19 PM
steve , shel do just fine.
rick k:drive1:

Mr.VENGEANCE
05-30-2007, 06:21 PM

novanutcase
05-30-2007, 06:25 PM
And the Journey begins.......

Glad to see there's a silver lining to that black cloud!

Hey Steve? Do you have any pics of the finished engine bay? The ones in your build up thread don't work or did you take them down for some reason?

John

dropit69
05-30-2007, 06:27 PM
good news Steve !! i have state farm and cant complain one bit about them..im sure every ins co has there faults but i cant complain yet..looks like the shop Penny is at has alot of cool projects going on..

formula98
05-30-2007, 06:40 PM
Glad to see that the rebuild is underway. I can't wait to see the progress. The CF hood sounds great! I'm interested in the fit. I haven't had much luck with Fiber Glass hoods in the past.

Steve1968LS2
05-30-2007, 07:32 PM
And the Journey begins.......

Glad to see there's a silver lining to that black cloud!

Hey Steve? Do you have any pics of the finished engine bay? The ones in your build up thread don't work or did you take them down for some reason?

John

ask and recieve...

Damn True
05-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Oh, and I plan on adding the CF hood from Stenod. Painted on the top and CF underneath. Might leave an accent stripe along the side of the cowl to show off the CF. It only weighs 19lbs compared to the 50+ pound stocker.

Link por favor. The only Stenod my googling came up with does LS1 engine stuff. Their site search didn't return any CF products.

Steve1968LS2
05-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Link por favor. The only Stenod my googling came up with does LS1 engine stuff. Their site search didn't return any CF products.

That's them.. they are rebuilding the Red Witch for Charley and that's why the mold exists for the hood. People were clamoring for it so much they decided to run some off.

You need to get on the list though so call them. Ask for Joe.

http://www.stenodperformance.com/

I'm already on the list.. they will be expensive but only 19 lbs.. that's 30lbs off the top front of my car :naughty:

MonzaRacer
05-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Hey Steve make sure you have them or you get pics of the car as it gets pulled. you will not believe what a frame rack can do on a wrecked car.
You would figure all of the energy storred in the car would try to stay in the shape it was crushed too.
But when they start pulling the car will just look amazing and thats before they cut out the damage parts your replacing.
Anyway get lots of pics and make it a series on how to get your car fixed right after a collision.
Another thing is maybe showing people how to do some backyard homegrown bodywork and mini pulls.
I have had to fix everycar I ever wrecked and I can tell you that doing some backyard bodywork teaches you just how hard it is and how difficult it is to do it right.
Luckily for me I can read, I am smart and I have an uncle that is a bodyman too.
Good luck Penny and Steve.
Lee Abel
AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

ViperBlue68
05-30-2007, 10:24 PM
Might leave an accent stripe along the side of the cowl to show off the CF

Do it Steve!!I think that will set the paint off and look trick! kinda like the stripes on the Reggie Jackson Camaro right?

formula
05-31-2007, 05:24 AM
Great to see and hear that things are headed in the right direction for you and penny!

As a side note--any guesses as to where those of us without 69's can source a nice c/f hood?

patriot68
05-31-2007, 06:02 AM
hey steve what are the part #s for your lower/upper radiator hoses

syborg tt
05-31-2007, 06:37 AM
glad to see your getting her fixed. Can't wait to see the cf hood.

We started working on a CF hood for my truck and have since given up and now we are working on an Aluminum cowl induction hood. The good news is it's about the same weight.

Steve1968LS2
05-31-2007, 06:52 AM
hey steve what are the part #s for your lower/upper radiator hoses

From the LS2 story I did:

We found the hoses at our local NAPA outlet and they are almost a dead on fit for this application. The part number for the upper hose is 8301 and the number for the lower hose is 9038.

Great to see and hear that things are headed in the right direction for you and penny!

As a side note--any guesses as to where those of us without 69's can source a nice c/f hood?

For enough money anyone can any hood made in CF. Us first gen guys are benefiting from Charley having one made for Red Witch. The biggest initial cost is in making the molds. Call Joe at Stenod and he might be able to give you a guesstimate.

eville
05-31-2007, 09:20 AM
Sorry to go entirely off subject, but what are you running for a radiator overflow tank?

Krazed
05-31-2007, 10:08 AM
I just want to say, That's an awesome car Steve, and I had it as my backround at work for the longest time. Many people here drooled over it, and we were very sad to see it get crunched like that...

However, seeing how you built it the first time, the second time will only be more perfection! I only see good things..... Good things!

Be sure to celebrate with lots of beer when this is done.

Good to see it being fixed and upgraded yet again.

NOPANTS-68
05-31-2007, 11:03 AM
That's one of my favorite Gen 1s ever so I can't wait to see it back together and updated. As a bodyshop manager, that doesn't look too bad. A good rack will pull probably 70% of that out and back into shape. The car's in great hands- you'll be fine.

BTW- State Farm is one of my favorite companies to work with. They have awesome service and very solid field adjusters. Makes my life as a collision center easy. All of that does come with a hefty premium though, but it's times like this where they shine.

Steve1968LS2
05-31-2007, 11:11 AM
Sorry to go entirely off subject, but what are you running for a radiator overflow tank?

A small tank from AFCO. Your basic aluminum job.

syborg tt
05-31-2007, 12:47 PM
I forgot to ask are you going to use hood pins on the new Carbon fiber hood ??

Steve1968LS2
05-31-2007, 01:07 PM
I forgot to ask are you going to use hood pins on the new Carbon fiber hood ??

Not sure. The hood uses the factory latch. I'm nervous about putting holes in a $1900 hood. I might use them for the Fairlane project when I do my "safety first" story (ds loop, extinguisher, hood pins, etc)

Either way I will get them into the new products section.. they sure are nice looking.

syborg tt
05-31-2007, 01:12 PM
Not sure. The hood uses the factory latch. I'm nervous about putting holes in a $1900 hood. I might use them for the Fairlane project when I do my "safety first" story (ds loop, extinguisher, hood pins, etc)

Either way I will get them into the new products section.. they sure are nice looking.

Trust me I completely understand about putting holes in a $1900.00 hood. I would be a nervous as a hooker in Church drilling into that hood.

Thanks again for the compliments on the hood pins.

eville
05-31-2007, 03:35 PM
A small tank from AFCO. Your basic aluminum job.

any pictures? thanks.

Steve1968LS2
05-31-2007, 04:13 PM
any pictures? thanks.

How about this...

eville
05-31-2007, 04:32 PM

is it recirculating or just a catch can?

Steve1968LS2
05-31-2007, 05:52 PM
is it recirculating or just a catch can?

fluid enters though the bottom and fills the can. When the radiator cools it's theoretically drawn back into the radiator. If it over filles then is will drain out the other fitting. That fitting is connected to a long tube that goes up near the top.

I can't imagine the tank would ever fill up. If it does I have other issues. lol

Hammered
05-31-2007, 05:58 PM
I've been thoroughly impressed with the build up of your car and now I'm impressed by how well you're taking all of this. Best wishes on getting it back together.

John

Steve1968LS2
05-31-2007, 06:10 PM
I've been thoroughly impressed with the build up of your car and now I'm impressed by how well you're taking all of this. Best wishes on getting it back together.

John

Thanks, you can spend your life sucking on lemons or making lemonade.. I prefer the later :)

Straped to the rack today and tomorrow we PULL.. :bananna2:

I will post pics..

Nate K
06-01-2007, 03:00 PM
Sorry to hear about the crash if that happened to me I think I would be in jail for murder. Good luck with the repairs I am sure it will be better than ever when your done.

Steve1968LS2
06-01-2007, 03:13 PM
It's strapped down to the computerized frame rack right now. They managed to find '68 Camaro dimensional data. The computer registers where the car is now and when they are done. The on-file dimensional data ensures they pull it right.

Pretty cool sounding stuff.

Will have pictures :)

TonyL
06-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Will have pictures

I must admit, I've got this morbid need to see penny's quarters all sawed off and bare. LOL.

/I keed.
//Not really.

novanutcase
06-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Trust me I completely understand about putting holes in a $1900.00 hood. I would be a nervous as a hooker in Church drilling into that hood.

Thanks again for the compliments on the hood pins.

What is it with you and hookers????!!!!???:lmao:

John

Steve1968LS2
06-01-2007, 04:14 PM
I must admit, I've got this morbid need to see penny's quarters all sawed off and bare. LOL.

/I keed.
//Not really.

You will see it all.. oh, I'm even doing a story on quarter panel replacement. I figured I might as well :)

Hey, you need to email me that killer shot of your Corvair for the Hometown section.. that think is wicked cool!

TonyL
06-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Will do Steve! Thanks!

Lemme install my new spoiler and take a better shot of it! (one without the drink cup in the back window etc. lol!)

CarlC
06-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Using the words drilling and hookers in the same sentance? Yeah baby!

Steve, are you going to use the stock filler location with the Fuelsafe? The stock in-trunk hose leaves a lot to be desired in rear end colisions. I've been considering dummying the filler cap and using a '69 style under plate fill cap.

Steve1968LS2
06-03-2007, 07:34 AM
Using the words drilling and hookers in the same sentance? Yeah baby!

Steve, are you going to use the stock filler location with the Fuelsafe? The stock in-trunk hose leaves a lot to be desired in rear end colisions. I've been considering dummying the filler cap and using a '69 style under plate fill cap.

No, I will fill in the trunk. The filler cap will eventually hold either a kill switch or master disconnect switch.

Steve1968LS2
06-03-2007, 07:35 AM
And so the road to recovery begins. Penny is currently on the frame machine getting pulled back into shape. As I said they have the dimensions of a 68 Camaro and use that to know how far to pull. I think those dimensions come from a company called Mitchel.

Anyways, they still have some more pulling to do on monday then back to the shop for the real work. There's a 90% chance that the passengers side quarter panel will NOT have to be replaced. It's pulling almost perfectly back into shape. The drivers side is toast though. lol

On the frame rack

First day of pulling.. I think the rear panel is toast with those big holes. ;)

Damn True
06-03-2007, 07:49 AM
No, I will fill in the trunk. The filler cap will eventually hold either a kill switch or master disconnect switch.

Well then you won't be needing that fancy-pants filler cap. You still have my home address right?

LMDGUY
06-03-2007, 07:53 AM
damn those pic.. make my stomach turn. I know Penny will be asgood as new

MonzaRacer
06-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Steve, Frame racks are sweet ,,everyone should have one but then a lot of very junk cars would be rebuilt.
My cousin went to local University here in southern Indiana and they get wrecked cars for the students to pull.
They had a PAIR of last year Firebirds, one wrecked (totaled because of airbags and blown engine)but fixable and one rolled.
but the amount of damage they fixed was INCREDIBLE.
The roled one got a new roof and didnt look like it had ever been repaired (my cousin headed the prep and paint and body work) and his cousin on the his moms side of family did the pulls on the wrecked one.
The intention was to make one car into a car worthy of a drag chassis and show status. They wound up fixing both and turns out the yard had 2 more come in with SIR lights on but it was computer problems, the bags were fine (side swiped) so both of the cars got thorughly inspected and are both drivers to day and the side swped on got the rocker and door post from the 4th and it got made into a drag car.
The amount of damage that does dissappear is amazing to say the least.
Good luck and keep the pics coming.
Lee

Steve1968LS2
06-07-2007, 03:04 PM
She's off the frame rack and looking MUCH better. They were able to save the passengers side quarter, but, as you can see, the rear panel is a bit.. uh.. beat. lol

The drivers side quarter is a ton better but would be better replaced than messed with. Next week we start cutting and fixing.

Cost for the time on the rack.. over $2000

I will post a few more later.. from the side it hard to tell it was hit.

Mr.VENGEANCE
06-07-2007, 03:10 PM
looking better.. good progress.. sad gascap.. lol

eville
06-07-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm glad she's doing better Steve. I stumbled across this quote from you earlier today and couldn't help but smile...

"It's not like I am going to rebuild the car.. just "tinker" with it a bit.." (Steve1968LS2)

It's from the thread you started back in April '05 when you brought her home. I stumbled upon it searching for "lug nuts" *lol*

70TWO NOVA
06-07-2007, 08:17 PM
lookin much much better, i almost cried when I saw the first pics!!!:crying: :crying:

Steve1968LS2
06-08-2007, 08:14 AM
Before:

After:

Steve1968LS2
06-08-2007, 08:15 AM
I'm glad she's doing better Steve. I stumbled across this quote from you earlier today and couldn't help but smile...

"It's not like I am going to rebuild the car.. just "tinker" with it a bit.." (Steve1968LS2)

It's from the thread you started back in April '05 when you brought her home. I stumbled upon it searching for "lug nuts" *lol*

lol.. yea, I tend to get carried away a bit.. I talked about this in my Super Chevy feature.

Jims78elky
06-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Before:

After:

Wow,amazing difference! And only you Steve would find or get
color matching tape for Penny lol..:drool: I hope she gets finished before
summer ends,and you finally can get some more driving time on her.

Also,the L.E.D. article in PHR was great,what a huge improvement
over the stock rear bulbs.Its too bad the guy who hit you didn't
appreciate them as much as we do..:scared: And I noticed your gas
cap was un-injured in the mess! Now I need one of those for sure!

Glad to see the progress! Hope all goes well,Penny is a bad girl!

-Jim

Young Gun
06-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Also,the L.E.D. article in PHR was great,what a huge improvement
over the stock rear bulbs.Its too bad the guy who hit you didn't
appreciate them as much as we do..:scared:

I meant to comment on the article as well, Im curious how easy it really was and do you know if that company offers a kit for 3rd gen novas?

novanutcase
06-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Everytime I look at your pics it makes me sick to my stomach!:barf:

I know that now that she's been on the rack she'll be all better but, SOB, she was so nice when she was done!:crying:

Oh Well!!!! Chin up! There's a silver lining to this dark cloud!:drive:

John

Chad-1stGen
06-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Can't wait to see more progress. Love that car.

cjrolke
06-09-2007, 05:52 PM
steve it could have been worse

saw this today and thought of penny

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110079

direct link

http://www.redlineautocars.com/carinfo.asp?id=7020#pics

old vette
06-09-2007, 06:34 PM
really sharp !!!!! good luck

Steve1968LS2
06-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Let the cutting begin!

GT500KR_Vert
06-21-2007, 06:14 PM
with some POR-15 while it's open

DJ Mabe
06-21-2007, 06:16 PM
WOW!!! It's hard to believe that's the car we have all been drooling over for so long. Sorry to see it like that bro! At least you're making progress.

Steve1968LS2
06-21-2007, 06:25 PM
WOW!!! It's hard to believe that's the car we have all been drooling over for so long. Sorry to see it like that bro! At least you're making progress.

The best way to do a quarter is to "sneak up on it" since you don't want to cut away too much. It makes for a very dramatic "junk pile"..

What's the old saying? "If you wanna make an omlette you have to break some eggs"

with some POR-15 while it's open

Yep, just surface crud. That area hasn't seen the light of day in almost 40 years.. lol

I have a nice can of POR-15 all ready to go.

novanutcase
06-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Looks like someone finally found Spicoli's Dads tool chest.........:bananna2:

John

Damn True
06-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Yikes. That looks awful Steve. Good to see though that the stuff underneath is largely undamaged.

Ya know......and I hate to say this......but I was kinda hoping that the right side fender was going to need to be cut off as well. I need a window channel and dont want to pay for a whole fender to get one.

LMDGUY
06-21-2007, 09:01 PM
:eek:

BMF Machine
06-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Looks like someone finally found Spicoli's Dads tool chest.........:bananna2:

John

Thats was the best part; in movie HISTORY!!!

My brother is gonna Sh** Jeff "Dude relax, I can fix it. My Dad is a TV repair man he has an ultimate set of tools, I can fix it!" Spicoli, you can't fix this car, my brother is gonna kill us!" Jeff "Dude would you make up your mind; Is he gonna Sh** or is he gonna kill us?" Kid back "First he' gonna Sh** then hes gonna kill us!"

Fast times FOREVER!!!
.:lurk:

curly
06-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Geez..... don't know how I missed the story of the accident :eek: . Glad to see things are moving in the right direction with the rebuild!

Young Gun
06-25-2007, 09:18 AM
picked up super chevy the other day and the article was great...really enjoyed reading it...the pictures were awsome as well...do you have any shots of the car when you first got it?

dipren443
06-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Thats was the best part; in movie HISTORY!!!

My brother is gonna Sh** Jeff "Dude relax, I can fix it. My Dad is a TV repair man he has an ultimate set of tools, I can fix it!" Spicoli, you can't fix this car, my brother is gonna kill us!" Jeff "Dude would you make up your mind; Is he gonna Sh** or is he gonna kill us?" Kid back "First he' gonna Sh** then hes gonna kill us!"

Fast times FOREVER!!!
.:lurk:

God bless Phoebe Cates...

Back on topic, picked up the Super Chevy as well. Great article.

72Z/28
06-25-2007, 02:20 PM
After all the great job you have done on this beast, it is sad to see it being cut and taken apart again, but I am sure it is going to look as good as it used to be or even better..

good luck steve

Steve1968LS2
07-06-2007, 02:46 PM
The shop has cleared out the cars ahead of me and can now work full time on Penny.

New quarter and rear panel being test fitted. Next up is to pull the old tank and build a new trunk floor. Oh, and fix the passengers side rear quarter.

camaro608
07-06-2007, 02:52 PM
DAMN!!!!!!!!!!

ive been busy and havent seen this man that really sucks she was so beautiful!!!

looks like your doing a good job! keep it up

pushrod243
07-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Starting to take shape again....glad to see you are at the front of the line now....

Jims78elky
07-06-2007, 06:26 PM
The shop has cleared out the cars ahead of me and can now work full time on Penny.

New quarter and rear panel being test fitted. Next up is to pull the old tank and build a new trunk floor. Oh, and fix the passengers side rear quarter.

Steve,

Are you using NOS parts or repops? It looks like the shop has a good start on her and it won't be long to you have some driving time.

-Jim

70TWO NOVA
07-07-2007, 09:29 AM
lookin good

formula98
07-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Looking good Steve. When will the article be published on the quarter replacement? I'm looking forward to the article. Any ETA on when Penny will be completed? Are you going to do an article on the new gas tank?

Steve1968LS2
08-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Looking good Steve. When will the article be published on the quarter replacement? I'm looking forward to the article. Any ETA on when Penny will be completed? Are you going to do an article on the new gas tank?

Not sure.. I did just write one (and it's out) for Camaro Performers.. this one might not be out until our Paint and Body issue in March...

Trying to get done by mid September...

Steve1968LS2
08-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Update..

My new 18.5 gallon FUEL SAFE bladdered fuel cell arrived. We should have the cage done for it by tomarrow.

The cell top:

Without the top (the bladder):

From the back (cage not welded in yet) - Just barely hangs down...

6'9"Witha69
08-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Any new progress over the last month Steve?

6'9"Witha69
08-10-2007, 02:49 PM
I guess ask and I shall receive!

Damn True
08-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Tough to tell from the photos Steve, but by how much does that particular cell protrude above the normal trunk floor?

Steve1968LS2
08-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Tough to tell from the photos Steve, but by how much does that particular cell protrude above the normal trunk floor?

Less than three inches.. I didn't want the tank to hang down as much as before. If I was going to re-do it I might drop it one inch lower, but this way it will be easy to see the pretty three-link.

It just arrived at the shop, I haven't seen it in person. I get to go play with it on Monday.. It's an off the shelf bladder with a custom (hat type) top.. this meant I needed to go with the Aluminm can, which saves weight.

The lower can will be powdered to match the frame, the top will be left safety red.

Damn True
08-10-2007, 03:34 PM
So the bladder dimensions are fixed, and you can modify the dimensions (vertically) of the can?

I did not know that.

ponjohn
08-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Looking good, is it possible for to repost or correct the link to the frame machine pics.

Tx-
John

Steve1968LS2
08-10-2007, 04:33 PM
So the bladder dimensions are fixed, and you can modify the dimensions (vertically) of the can?

I did not know that.

They have various bladder sizes and matching cans. What you can alter is how where the flanges are located. I could have mounted flush with the trunk floor and had the tank hang down farther. I went for a more subdued look.

Now I need to decided on the color of the can..red or dark grey.. hmmm

Steve1968LS2
08-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Looking good, is it possible for to repost or correct the link to the frame machine pics.

Tx-
John

The pic of the the car on the frame rack is still up.. page 2 or 3

I will re-host the other pics next week from work :)

Roger Poirier
08-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Trying to get done by mid September...

From my own personal expieence could be 10 years or more. :banghead: lol

R.P.

ponjohn
08-11-2007, 11:39 AM
The pic of the the car on the frame rack is still up.. page 2 or 3

I will re-host the other pics next week from work :)

Thanks- were you stopped at a light, I never read the details of how it got hit.

Man, what went through your mind?

John

Steve1968LS2
08-12-2007, 07:57 AM
Thanks- were you stopped at a light, I never read the details of how it got hit.

Man, what went through your mind?

John

Stopped on the freeway.. guy wasn't paying attention and slammed into the back of me.. ouch!

It was an expensive day for State Farm.. lol.. the bill looks close to $30,000. Oh well, such is life. :)

Steve1968LS2
08-12-2007, 07:57 AM
The "cage" for the new fuel cell..

The mounting rack:

With the can, tank and top installed:

colt zantop
08-12-2007, 08:36 AM
lookin good! cant wait to see it finished again!

Steve N 69 69 69
08-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Good to see progress on the repair job.
whos doing the Qtr panel work.
It looks like their doing the work pretty nice, and quick, which is the really amazing part.
Later,

Stoker420
08-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Are you going to be able to fill the tank from the stock position or will you need to open the trunk?

Gordz32
08-17-2007, 06:18 PM
Guess who's car is getting some Primer tommorow Steve?:headbang:

Steve1968LS2
08-19-2007, 07:45 AM
Guess who's car is getting some Primer tommorow Steve?:headbang:

Going by these pics you sent me I would guess MINE!!! :cheers:

The major bodywork is done and the car went to the spray booth to have the worked areas primered. Then some more finish body work and paint.

Also, the floor of the trunk was finished and painted with the fuel cell mount welded in place.

Mr.VENGEANCE
08-19-2007, 08:31 AM
almost there!

69Nova
08-19-2007, 08:31 AM
Steve is the whole car getting a repaint?

Jims78elky
08-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Steve,

Your still going with the prowler orange paint?

I do like that the whole car is getting done,those rear body lines
sure are nice and crisp looking,one of the best features of a first
gen body.And congrats on going to Sema! I know you'll be busy
eating hot dogs and checking out the younger on "display" models.

Ahh..no actually that would be me..lol..:yum:

-Jim

Steve1968LS2
08-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Steve is the whole car getting a repaint?

Yep.. except the engine bay. Even though it will be the same color BOS wanted to make sure the paint absolutly matched perfectly. They really take pride in what they put thier names on.

69Nova
08-19-2007, 01:45 PM
They really take pride in what they put thier names on.

Thats great. Not many people go the extra mile these days. It's always good to hear/see people putting pride into there work. You really got some awsome guys working on your car.

eville
08-19-2007, 03:27 PM
Looking good Steve!
Are you going to have an article in PHR on the installation of the Fuel Safe Cell? I've got a bunch of questions but will save them if there is going to be an article. The only one I'm anxious to here is cost of the cell....

Steve1968LS2
08-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Looking good Steve!
Are you going to have an article in PHR on the installation of the Fuel Safe Cell? I've got a bunch of questions but will save them if there is going to be an article. The only one I'm anxious to here is cost of the cell....

I don't know.. I was pushing for a story on gas tanks (what type for what application, etc). Don't know if it will get green lighted. I'm shooting it like there will be a story.

Anyways, feel free to ask any questions. My tank was $1800 with the internal Bosch pump, custom "hat" lid, and aluminum box (lighter than steel)

They have many tanks in many different price catagories, The quality seems very good and the safety aspects are second to none. Mine is the 18gal Sportsman model.

J2speedandcustom
08-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Man I really like that tank and mount Steve! Glad to see she is a real track prodigy.

monza
08-19-2007, 07:11 PM
Wow!!! A whole body repaint...first class. I hope you stick with the same color.

eville
08-19-2007, 07:11 PM
How much of the trunk did you replace? It looks like you replaced a substantial portion to me. Any more pics? It's going to look hot!

Steve1968LS2
08-19-2007, 07:29 PM
How much of the trunk did you replace? It looks like you replaced a substantial portion to me. Any more pics? It's going to look hot!

BOS replaced the entire trunk floor and it's flat level with the top of the frame rails (it doesn't dip down like stock).

The previous trunk floor was flat but got munched in the crash..

Wow!!! A whole body repaint...first class. I hope you stick with the same color.

yep.. Prowler Orange

novanutcase
08-19-2007, 10:44 PM
WOW!!! Your car was badass before but you are taking her to another level!!!:worship:

John

syborg tt
08-20-2007, 12:15 PM
I don't know.. I was pushing for a story on gas tanks (what type for what application, etc). Don't know if it will get green lighted. I'm shooting it like there will be a story.

Another Idea for your story is the use of a Mustang fuel tank. It mounts similar to what you've done and it's also rear fill.

Jims78elky
08-20-2007, 12:17 PM
yep.. Prowler Orange

Thanks Steve!

I'll have to remember that when I give your car a compliment
or ask a question directly to you that I'll have to wait for another
member to ask the same or similar question so I can see a reply.
We should all play nice and fair,I hope I don't offend you buy
my questions or compliments to your projects in any way.

:dunno:

-Jim

Steve1968LS2
08-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks Steve!

I'll have to remember that when I give your car a compliment
or ask a question directly to you that I'll have to wait for another
member to ask the same or similar question so I can see a reply.
We should all play nice and fair,I hope I don't offend you buy
my questions or compliments to your projects in any way.

:dunno:

-Jim

No problem Jim.. You have to try really hard to offend me, it's all good :D

And thanks for the comments! :bananna2:

Steve1968LS2
08-20-2007, 12:40 PM
Another Idea for your story is the use of a Mustang fuel tank. It mounts similar to what you've done and it's also rear fill.

Yea, we considered that, but I have "unique" packaging issues related to the Watt's link and my narrowed rear frame rails.

6'9"Witha69
08-20-2007, 01:25 PM
Yea, we considered that, but I have "unique" packaging issues related to the Watt's link and my narrowed rear frame rails.Yeah, the Bell crank looks to be right between the cell cage bars. Is that just an illusion or is it really that tight?

Car looks on great shape otherwise Steve!

Steve1968LS2
08-23-2007, 09:21 AM
Being color sanded after being blocked... will get primed again and them prepped for paint.

Also, got confimation that my CF hood is being molded and is will be here in a week or two. Going to leave the bottom CF and the top painted except for the side of the cowl.

As you can see the guys at BOS LOVE thier job..

NRV051
08-23-2007, 11:27 AM
the new version is looking good.It just a shame it had to be redone because of an accident.

69Nova
08-23-2007, 11:37 AM
The hood is gonna be killer Steve.

Steve1968LS2
08-23-2007, 01:55 PM
the new version is looking good.It just a shame it had to be redone because of an accident.

The upside to that is that someone else is paying for it..

Gordz32
08-23-2007, 02:39 PM
Who"s the stud in the picture? haha. Dont worry Steve. She"ll be perfect when shes done. its also alot of fun workin on the penny car as u can tell by my expression. :twothumbs

Steve1968LS2
08-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Who"s the stud in the picture? haha. Dont worry Steve. She"ll be perfect when shes done. its also alot of fun workin on the penny car as u can tell by my expression. :twothumbs

What are you? On break???

Get back to work!!!! :slap:

Just kidding Chris.. thanks for working so hard on my car, you guys are making good progress now.

Gordz32
08-23-2007, 03:15 PM
nope! took my new engine to the machine shop this afternoon.

Stoker420
08-24-2007, 06:05 AM
How will you be filling the tank throught the stock location or do yo uhave to open the trunk?

Steve1968LS2
08-24-2007, 06:22 AM
How will you be filling the tank throught the stock location or do yo uhave to open the trunk?

I'm filling the tank by opening the trunk.. in the gas hole I will be putting this: www.billetfiller.com (http://www.billetfiller.com)

BADVELLE
08-24-2007, 06:26 AM
Is this entire car rebuilt from donated/sponsor parts? Just curious.

Damn True
08-24-2007, 08:42 AM

I know for a fact that Steve paid full retail for his Lateral Dynamics 3-Link.

BADVELLE
08-24-2007, 09:05 AM
I know for a fact that Steve paid full retail for his Lateral Dynamics 3-Link.

My original question was not whether Steve has bought any parts for this car, just curious as to whether he had sponsorship, especially with all he has done in the past year. My apologies if it was taken the wrong way.

Steve1968LS2
08-24-2007, 10:17 AM

I have about $60k (most likely more) of my own $$$ in this car.. plus countless hours.

I did get some pretty big parts for cheap/free including the crate LS2, T56, front brakes and some assorted widgets.

I paid full hit for the three-link because I believe in the design. You should see my powder painting bill.. :Alchy:

Oh, and I paid for all the paint/body at BOS because they are worth every dollar. :)

Steve1968LS2
08-24-2007, 10:20 AM
My original question was not whether Steve has bought any parts for this car, just curious as to whether he had sponsorship, especially with all he has done in the past year. My apologies if it was taken the wrong way.

Don't worry, not taken the wrong way. I work for a car magazine. We really don't have "sponsorships". If we want to do a story on XYZ part we contact the maker and buy at a reduced price or get the part for free to test/install in the story.

On what they pay us there's no way we could afford to buy all the parts we need each month to do stories on. A magazine project car build is like an accelerated version of reality. We may build a car in one year that your average Joe might spend 3 years building.

I hope some of that made sense.. lol

BADVELLE
08-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Steve -

Thanks, I know you did not have to say anything, I was just curious (envious). I love the car and everything that you have done since you got it. Anyway, thanks for the heads up, can't wait to see the new finished product.

Steve1968LS2
08-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Steve -

Thanks, I know you did not have to say anything, I was just curious (envious). I love the car and everything that you have done since you got it. Anyway, thanks for the heads up, can't wait to see the new finished product.

No secrets here.. I was a board member long before I worked for PHR.. :)

<-- can't wait to see it again too!!!! :hammer:

Young Gun
08-25-2007, 06:14 AM
gorgeous car steve...great article this month on the paints btw...helped my dad and me out alot!!!

JoshStratton
08-25-2007, 10:25 AM
Oh man! I have been out of it for a while. I am so sorry to hear about this Steve! Where is the original thread where you posted the bad news?

bucks69
08-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Steve I am in mourning for you and your car. It is absolutey dreadful. my story not near as heart wrenching as yours but it is substantial to me, i purchased a 2006 cvevy crew Z71 on a friday. on saturday drove down to the local Stalinmart to add to the nicities for its future life and when I skated back out to see my 68mile newborn. I had front row seats to watchin grannybluehair add a powderblue Patina stripe from back wheelwell all the way thru both doors and then missed front fender??? and then left bumper and fascia on ground at front of truck,,,,, Stroy does not end there she left the scene because i was a little hysterical and couldnt think to stop her so i stood there to watch her jump the curb, drive 85 feet to walgreens, and parked completely oblivious to her Robbie Gordon driving habits......... it would never happen to the tank or the fire truck i got but i will happen in the one I #was# not ashamed to ride around in....

Steve1968LS2
08-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Houston, we have color.. :woot:

The rest will be painted on Saturday..

eville
08-30-2007, 06:08 PM
Sweet!

rockdogz
08-30-2007, 08:59 PM
Cool Steve! You'll be back on the road before you know it!

:6gears:

ponjohn
08-31-2007, 03:01 AM
Looking good, what color is that again?

John

Steve1968LS2
08-31-2007, 06:59 AM
Looking good, what color is that again?

John

From Plymouth.. Prowler Orange

Steve1968LS2
09-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Today BOS shot the sealer. We were going to paint, but the temp got to be over 100 degrees and Joe was worried that the paint would dry too fast and wouldn't lay down nice.

He's going to come in EARLY Monday and shoot the paint when it's cooler.

The sealer is almost the shade of the paint. lol.. Anyways, it's nice to see her looking like her old self.

Oh, and we ripped the 302 out of the Fairlane.. that was a messy 3 hours..

ponjohn
09-02-2007, 03:58 AM
Did you have to use sealer because it was going over the "old" paint?

John

Steve1968LS2
09-02-2007, 07:12 AM
Did you have to use sealer because it was going over the "old" paint?

John

No, just over the body worked areas. No sealer on the recent paint on the front of the car.

GBodyGMachine
09-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Keep it going Steve. Cant wait to see it on the Road again.

Jeff

LMDGUY
09-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Wow.. repainting the whole car!

Steve1968LS2
09-03-2007, 03:45 PM
And she's painted...

Low res shots from the shop.. I will snap "fancy" ones on Wednesday. They barely had time to get her shot today before the temps got too crazy. Was 106 in the shop at 2:30pm.. eek!

Larry Callahan
09-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Looking good again!

eville
09-03-2007, 03:53 PM
How long til we hear "Penny's on the Streets Again"?

Steve1968LS2
09-03-2007, 04:00 PM
How long til we hear "Penny's on the Streets Again"?

With this heat they might start color sanding on Thursday.. They estimate 40 hours to color sand and buff. Then we need to reassemble the cars trim, install (easy) and plum the new fuel tank and do a bunch of do-dad stuff.

I should have the car back to me before October 1st.. that leaves 1 month to finish the interior, install the new seats, install the fire system and detail the hell out of her.

I should be golden for SEMA :fingerscrossedsmilie:

eville
09-03-2007, 04:08 PM
I read you had your wheels back and Forgeline. What'd you have done?

Steve1968LS2
09-03-2007, 04:34 PM
I read you had your wheels back and Forgeline. What'd you have done?

Moved from a 6.5-inch backspace to a 7-inch backspace..

70TWO NOVA
09-03-2007, 05:10 PM
And she's painted...

Low res shots from the shop.. I will snap "fancy" ones on Wednesday. They barely had time to get her shot today before the temps got too crazy. Was 106 in the shop at 2:30pm.. eek!

Im jealous....again! :hail:

ponjohn
09-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Unreal!!

Is that the new enviromentally friendly paint?

69TAPoser
09-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Hey Steve-

I just found this new high performace pro-touring part you need before you get her back on the road:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/09/56623173_o-1.jpg

Sorry man, I know it is cruel, but I just couldn't resist! :lmao:

I figure you MUST be in better spirits by now. She is looking beautiful again! :drool:

Phil

Steve1968LS2
09-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Hey Steve-

I just found this new high performace pro-touring part you need before you get her back on the road:

Sorry man, I know it is cruel, but I just couldn't resist! :lmao:

I figure you MUST be in better spirits by now. She is looking beautiful again! :drool:

Phil

:lol:

No problem.. I don't know if more lights will help if the other guy isn't looking forward.. I was thinking of a train horn that blows whenever I hit the brakes. Thoughts? ;)

I'm actually looking for a suitable light to build into my rear spoiler.. a little added insurance.

Steve1968LS2
09-03-2007, 07:43 PM
All I need is my "Larry" gas cap and Marquez tail lights.. :yes:

Before:

After:

Larry Callahan
09-03-2007, 07:54 PM
All I need is my "Larry" gas cap and Marquez tail lights.. :yes:

With any luck you will have yours by Thursday since you only need the part that mounts outside the tail panel.

Looking good!

eville
09-03-2007, 08:38 PM
I'm actually looking for a suitable light to build into my rear spoiler.. a little added insurance.

I like Tyler's spoiler....
http://www.t56kit.com/company/50/50/bodykit/30.jpg

Jims78elky
09-04-2007, 01:12 AM

Looks amazing..actually better than before!

Maybe just me...but for some reason its like more brighter candy
"Orange" in color too me..could be the heat here in Nevada though

:sick:

Well.. It wont be long until you can enjoy her again..

look forward to the pictures of her outside in all her glory!

Rock on! :git:

-Jim

6'9"Witha69
09-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Very cool Steve, unlike the temps in the shop!

Steve1968LS2
09-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Looks amazing..actually better than before!

Maybe just me...but for some reason its like more brighter candy
"Orange" in color too me..could be the heat here in Nevada though

-Jim

It's just the lighting.. this paint really changes a LOT depending if it's sunlight, artificial light or shade.

ROACHZ28
09-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Steve I have been a big fan of yours way back when you had your 4th gen SS. Your present machine looks FREAKIN AWESOME!!!! You should do the Detroit Autorama next year.:twothumbs

Mr.VENGEANCE
09-04-2007, 01:37 PM
Hey Steve did you get your CF hood painted too?.. THAT would be SICK.

Steve1968LS2
09-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Hey Steve did you get your CF hood painted too?.. THAT would be SICK.

I ended up not running it. The part was delayed and I couldn't put off paint to wait for it. The plan was to paint it though (except the bottom side).

The shop was worried about fitting it to an assembled and painted car and worried about the paint looking perfect which meant they would have to blend to the fenders. Just too much work with the SEMA deadline approaching.

The nearly $2k for the hood will be spent on some Recaro seats for the interior and I will live with the extra 25 lbs or so on the front of the car.

Motown 454
09-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Looks even better then before if that is even possible! Wayne

Mr.VENGEANCE
09-04-2007, 08:11 PM
indeed!

Steve1968LS2
09-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Out of the paint booth.. indoors...

Outside in the sunshine...

A HUGE thanks to the crew at Best Of Show Coachworks for getting her back to health. A first class shop ran buy first class gearheads. I can't wait to see her after 40 hours of color sanding and buffing! :woot:

6'9"Witha69
09-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Very cool Steve. I think those rims need to stay! :poke:

eville
09-05-2007, 01:46 PM
yeah dude, those rims are PIMP! Too bad they ain't 20s. LOL.
I can't wait to see that car in person!

Steve1968LS2
09-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Very cool Steve. I think those rims need to stay! :poke:

If you like chrome rims they don't really look bad. They are off a '67 Camaro (Tommy's) that was wrecked and is in the shop for repair. The wheels and the tires are ruined, but they make good shop rollers for "big brake" cars like mine.

I just heard today that my wheels are on the way back from Forgeline...

Mr.VENGEANCE
09-05-2007, 02:47 PM
man to hell with them forgelines.. you got the best right thuuuurrrr....

LOL!!

TBART70
09-05-2007, 03:23 PM
I hope my paint comes out that nice, I would be happy the way it is, can't wait to see it cut and buffed!

Jims78elky
09-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Wow!

That color is so right on a first gen! The guys a BOS are very
talented and dedicated to there customers.Great shots Steve.

Looks incredible!..and yeah the chrome wheels do look good also.

But I think your forgelines are going to be home real soon!

:cool:

-Jim

monza
09-06-2007, 10:37 AM
Looking good... love that car!!!

syborg tt
09-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Wow - it looks really nice

?? - what kind of Camera are you shooting with

72Z/28
09-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Your forgelines are way better than these chrome wheels, just MO

Steve1968LS2
09-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Wow - it looks really nice

?? - what kind of Camera are you shooting with

8.1 mp Canon D20 professional SLR

I just spent $900 at the camera store today.. at least it's tax deductable... :crying:

Those are the just the shop rollers.. nothing else would clear my brakes and backspacing.

ponjohn
09-07-2007, 02:50 AM
You're right color looks more orange than before.

John

jack67rs
09-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Damn, i love that color!! I don't feel so bad for you anymore, your car is going to be even better now! If that is possible.

brownz
09-07-2007, 02:36 PM

agree:twothumbs

Morgan
09-09-2007, 04:09 PM
:lol:

No problem.. I don't know if more lights will help if the other guy isn't looking forward.. I was thinking of a train horn that blows whenever I hit the brakes. Thoughts? ;)

Steve,

I don't know if you found what you want for your rear spoiler light yet but the shop that built my car used an LED stip and sunk it flush into the spoiler. I can snap a picture and post it or email it to you if you like.

chicane67
09-09-2007, 04:41 PM

The 86-88 IROC Camaro third brake light that is build into the stock spolier... fits rather well. It will also accept LED bulbs to match the rest of the rear lighting scheme.

HILROD
09-09-2007, 08:15 PM
I installed a Cavalier third brake light into my spoiler. It is led already. Made by Hella. I don't have any good pics now but I can get them. I also have GM part numbers for it, and the wiring plug, or the harness assembly.

Cruiser
09-10-2007, 08:37 PM
I love that color. I have wanted to paint my car this color every since the Prolers came out with it in 02. When I saw your I knew I had to have it even more!!

Your right depending on the light the color changes alot. At night under low sodium dim lights in my work parking lot I was amazed at how dark it looked, from about 80 feet it looks almost like a bright black color of some sort, it's hard to decribe how much it changes just walking around it. I think the color must have about 10 differnet noticable shades from a bright golden orange to a shiny but dirty copper color.

Here is a pic of mine looking wierd in cloudy but direct sunlight from the front angle of the car, I think it's just the camera angle that changed it so much?

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/09/DSCN4662-1.jpg

Here is shot but sort of cloudy outside but still the sun is shining? Both pictures are before color sanding and buffing.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/05/S6300053-1.jpg

It's a wild color for sure I love it!!!

Steve you 68 is one awsome ride for sure. It's helps to keep going on mine, since it's apart and going togehter slowly.

Steve1968LS2
09-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Steve,

I don't know if you found what you want for your rear spoiler light yet but the shop that built my car used an LED stip and sunk it flush into the spoiler. I can snap a picture and post it or email it to you if you like.

Yes, please send it to [email protected]

I'm working on which light to use at this very moment.. 2001 Cavalier.. C5 vette.. ??????

The 86-88 IROC Camaro third brake light that is build into the stock spolier... fits rather well. It will also accept LED bulbs to match the rest of the rear lighting scheme.

Really?? hmmmm... Hadn't heard that before.. pics?

Steve1968LS2
09-10-2007, 09:16 PM
I

It's a wild color for sure I love it!!!

Steve you 68 is one awsome ride for sure. It's helps to keep going on mine, since it's apart and going togehter slowly.

Yea, sometimes it looks dirty brown/copper.. sometimes super bright orange. Lots of "personality". Under the SEMA lights it should really pop and be vibrant.

Your car looks great.. keep up the work!

whytry
09-11-2007, 07:45 AM
Or you could try something like what all the sport trucks are using for a 3rd brake light, they sell them in several different lengths.....

Any new progress pics Steve? I want to see how the basket and fuel cell look back there. :)

BEEBE
09-11-2007, 08:13 AM
From Plymouth.. Prowler Orange

Same as my 98 sierra

Jim Nilsen
09-12-2007, 06:24 AM
Steve , The 87-89 Camaro 3rd brake light built in the spoiler is actually is proportionaly a lot like the 68's tailights and I have considered it many times. The junkyards should have a few of them I would think? They also came on RS versions too, I have one on my 89RS.

eville
09-12-2007, 08:08 AM
I I was pushing for a story on gas tanks (what type for what application, etc). Don't know if it will get green lighted. I'm shooting it like there will be a story.

Are we going to see a story on the tanks?

Steve1968LS2
09-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Are we going to see a story on the tanks?

I hope so, would make a great story. I will push for it. :)

Ok.. progress pics...

Today was "final buff" day.. the next step will be re-assembly and install of the new gas tank (and plumbing).. Two weeks till I have it back :woot:

Best Of Show Coachworks hard at work...

From the back:

Gordz32
09-12-2007, 06:48 PM
John and I finsihed polishing today and started detailing. Penny's looking better than ever.:yum:

Steve1968LS2
09-12-2007, 08:27 PM
John and I finsihed polishing today and started detailing. Penny's looking better than ever.:yum:

Cool, I will have the wheels for you soon. I need to send a front to Wilwood. They want to test fit some new "super" brake system they have developed.. looks pretty cool. Hope they fit.

She's coming together nicely.. can't wait to drive her!

Gordz32
09-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Steve, When that days comes I'll be needing a ride In Penny!! AHAhah

strangler
09-13-2007, 06:34 AM
Who dented it?

Steve1968LS2
09-13-2007, 06:38 AM
Who dented it?

Everyones a critic.. ;)

That's one of the holes for the spoiler..

olds87
09-13-2007, 07:02 AM
Your car looks great :cool:

BonzoHansen
09-13-2007, 07:04 AM
Looking good Mr Rupp. :cool:

What happened to the vette 3rd light in the spoiler (https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30670&highlight=3rd+light)?

Best Of Show Coachworks hard at work..I know all you guys have said about that shop, but look how clean it is. I've never been in a quality shop that was not clean.

Steve1968LS2
09-13-2007, 07:19 AM
Looking good Mr Rupp. :cool:

What happened to the vette 3rd light in the spoiler (https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30670&highlight=3rd+light)?

I know all you guys have said about that shop, but look how clean it is. I've never been in a quality shop that was not clean.

Working on it.. lol.. I just don't have time to dig up the part number I need.

I was actually thinking of using the one from a 2001 Cavalier.. somebody posted a pic and it looked good.

BOS has a building for bodywork (since it's messy) and one for paint work that they keep clean and organized. I think they may be expanding into another building and using that one for assembly work.

strangler
09-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Beautiful car... Even without the spoiler....

chicane67
09-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Really?? hmmmm... Hadn't heard that before.. pics?

All I have is the lense itself... I havent installed it into the spoiler on my own as of yet, but I have used them before in the stock glass unit... Im still waiting for the carbon guy and ATS.

I could snap a pic or two of the lense by itself ??

Taylor1969
09-14-2007, 02:16 PM
All I have is the lense itself... I havent installed it into the spoiler on my own as of yet, but I have used them before in the stock glass unit... Im still waiting for the carbon guy and ATS.

I could snap a pic or two of the lense by itself ??

Here is a good shot of one... this is a pretty good match for the first gen taillights... now just need some part numbers.

http://image56.webshots.com/56/4/95/85/520949585XAJRUd_fs.jpg

restomodbird69
09-14-2007, 03:21 PM
glad to see it is getting close to being done again.

Smock67
09-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Wow Steve your car is looking amazing. Only two more weeks till it's done huh thats great I bet your stoked about be able to drive it.

dodge
09-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Wow...Lets start the countdown to see this beast back on the road again...Coachworks have done an awesome rebuild for you

Gordz32
09-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Let me just tell you guys that, all day long I couldn't keep my eyes off penny! She polished and cleaned, and man that paint came out just beautiful.

formula98
09-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Penny Looks great! I can't wait to see her back on the road.

Steve1968LS2
09-22-2007, 04:11 PM
More assembly done now.

Put the new wheels on.. the R888s at 1/2 inch wider than the RA1s and this causes them to pinch in. I don't like the look so I will switch one size down. I will only loose 1/2 inch of width so no biggie.

skatinjay27
09-22-2007, 05:13 PM
alright steve she is look real good!!! is that 2nd gen in the backround the one you guys been working on in camaro performer.

SatisTraction
09-22-2007, 05:46 PM
everytime i see that car i want to go DRIVE!!!

Steve1968LS2
09-22-2007, 06:12 PM
alright steve she is look real good!!! is that 2nd gen in the backround the one you guys been working on in camaro performer.

Yea, that belongs to John at the shop. He's a good guy (sorta grumpy) but a true car guy. And the car certainly needed the work. lol

Gets the new back glass Monday and they are going to remove the front glass and set it in nicer.. she's getting the "SEMA treatment" lol

Nice to see her with the new tires and her normal wheels..

Ron S
09-22-2007, 06:44 PM
Hey Steve,nice meeting you in Tenn.I thought the event down there would motivate me to put my Camaro in color,but I was lazy as could be when I got home.But everytime I see pics of your car I go out and sand another panel.keep the pics coming its like a boot in my ass.Ron

Steve1968LS2
09-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Hey Steve,nice meeting you in Tenn.I thought the event down there would motivate me to put my Camaro in color,but I was lazy as could be when I got home.But everytime I see pics of your car I go out and sand another panel.keep the pics coming its like a boot in my ass.Ron

Good to meet you to! Here's another shot to help get your ass working on your Camaro!

Sure looks better than it did all smashed in.

TonyL
09-22-2007, 08:52 PM
wow that look SO much better without the tank and hoses under it.

And those tires look SICK.

TUBED
09-22-2007, 09:05 PM
wow that look SO much better without the tank and hoses under it.

Yes it does and it's much safer, looking good Steve.

curly
09-23-2007, 04:41 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking... how intimidating those rears are (I'm sure there are alot of people that would only see that view also :smoke: )! Car is looking awesome to say the least!

ROACHZ28
09-24-2007, 01:18 AM
Looks AWESOME Steve!!!

tones2SS
09-24-2007, 12:45 PM
More assembly done now.

Put the new wheels on.. the R888s at 1/2 inch wider than the RA1s and this causes them to pinch in. I don't like the look so I will switch one size down. I will only loose 1/2 inch of width so no biggie.

She's looking good Steve!!!!
Looks like she's almost ready to go! I want some Hi-res shots when completed, if possible? LOVE THAT CAR!!!:firefire::cheers:

ponjohn
09-24-2007, 03:46 PM
What brand and size are the rear tires?

Looks great.

John

TonyL
09-24-2007, 03:53 PM
Have a look at this thread John.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33960

Smock67
09-24-2007, 04:42 PM
Wow Steve your camaro came out better then ever. Looks amazingly clean and vindictive at the same time.

skinnyboy67
09-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Everything is lookin better than I could ever do:hail:.
Why did you paint that small portion under front windshield black??
reflection??
Please keep the pics coming they are inspirational!!!
Do you have your new gas cap..it is past sept 22..beacause I dont?

ponjohn
09-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Have a look at this thread John.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33960

Thanks, sick looking tread design.

That's a lot of tire.

J

formula98
09-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Great job Steve. I do like seeing the rearend rather than the tank and hoses.

70TWO NOVA
09-26-2007, 09:27 AM
she comin along

olds87
09-26-2007, 10:20 AM
That is the nices car I have ever seen. Got one of your photos as a desktop backround at work and my co-workes love it all so.

73z-6sp
09-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Steve, that thing is just awesome! What a great job they did on the repair. Hope you have nothing but smooth roads and careful drivers this time when you "git r done"!!

SatisTraction
09-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Steve

I went and bought a car after seeing these pics!!! Like I posted earlier these make me want to dive!! :)

Steve1968LS2
10-02-2007, 06:17 PM
That is the nices car I have ever seen. Got one of your photos as a desktop backround at work and my co-workes love it all so.

Thanks, there are lots of "nicer" cars out there, but I like to think she has a certain look.

Steve1968LS2
10-02-2007, 06:18 PM
this is where I spent my "settlement" money from State Farm.

best seats out there and I've ran them in this fabric on my last two cars, might as well continue the tradition.

Steve1968LS2
10-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Oh, Car is almost done and should be at the upholstery shop in a week or so.

The tire issue was fixed by Toyo. I thought I was going to have to go down to a 255/35 but I guess they have some 265/35s ready to release here in the US and had a pair brought in ahead of time just for my car. Thanks Toyo!

Just finishing up all the little details and such. Total bill for the repairs is well over $34,000... not counting my settlement. ouch!

I'm decorating the interior of the car in rabbits feet and four-leaf clovers.. lol

SIK02SS
10-02-2007, 06:33 PM
oh wow. those Toyos look NASTY on that thing Steve!! (in a very, very good way! :) )

eville
10-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Nice seats!
I had my 4th Gen seats recovered in the same recaro fabric many years ago. It's a bad pic.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d143/sej275/IMG_0178.jpg

JEFFTATE
10-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Looks good Steve.
When are you bringing her to Tennessee for some autocrossing ?

Steve1968LS2
10-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Looks good Steve.
When are you bringing her to Tennessee for some autocrossing ?

About the time you bring your car out here for an open track event...

Deal? ;)

Steve1968LS2
10-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Nice seats!
I had my 4th Gen seats recovered in the same recaro fabric many years ago. It's a bad pic.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d143/sej275/IMG_0178.jpg

Yea, I like the fabric.. sorta "urban camo" lol

You must know how proud Recaro is of that fabric.. I almost died when I bought a bunch to do the rear seats of my last two cars.. eeek!

curly
10-03-2007, 03:58 AM
Thanks, there are lots of "nicer" cars out there

Not many.... your car is one of the nicest I have seen :twothumbs !

syborg tt
10-03-2007, 05:18 AM
yep - those look really nice

best seats out there and I've ran them in this fabric on my last two cars, might as well continue the tradition.

monza
10-03-2007, 06:27 AM
It just keeps getting better and better!!!

eville
10-03-2007, 07:04 AM
Yea, I like the fabric.. sorta "urban camo" lol

You must know how proud Recaro is of that fabric.. I almost died when I bought a bunch to do the rear seats of my last two cars.. eeek!

Yeah, it wasn't cheap. But the quality is way better than everything else. I musta looked through 10 books of replacement fabric from factory to the moon. I couldn't find anything I liked. They the guy pulls out the Recaro book. Within 2 minutes I knew what I wanted. Yeah, I bought some for my backseats too...
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d143/sej275/?action=view&current=IMG_0177.jpg

Were those seats 1G a piece?

Steve1968LS2
10-03-2007, 07:27 AM
Yeah, it wasn't cheap. But the quality is way better than everything else. I musta looked through 10 books of replacement fabric from factory to the moon. I couldn't find anything I liked. They the guy pulls out the Recaro book. Within 2 minutes I knew what I wanted. Yeah, I bought some for my backseats too...
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d143/sej275/?action=view&current=IMG_0177.jpg

Were those seats 1G a piece?

$800 per a seat plus the sliders and the brackets.. came out to just over $2k with tax and such.

rockdogz
10-03-2007, 07:52 AM
Git-r-done man! We gotta hit a cruise while the weather is still good.

Wait a minute.... the weather is always good :razz:

6'9"Witha69
10-03-2007, 08:04 AM
Git-r-done man! We gotta hit a cruise while the weather is still good.

Wait a minute.... the weather is always good :razz:Yeah, there's like 2-2.5 weeks cumulative of 'no fly' weather in socal!

Steve, car looks awesome man. I would love to cruise with you and Tom, but I would lower the value of your cars just being within 100 feet! :drool:

colt zantop
10-03-2007, 10:24 AM
I love those seats! me want some!!

Steve1968LS2
10-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Yeah, there's like 2-2.5 weeks cumulative of 'no fly' weather in socal!

Steve, car looks awesome man. I would love to cruise with you and Tom, but I would lower the value of your cars just being within 100 feet! :drool:

Hey, you drive your car.. that puts you many points ahead of me.. for now.. lol

Would be happy to terrorize some events with you and Tom..

Gordz32
10-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Steve... Today I got ur undercoating all pretty, Fuel lines plumbed up to the floor, bumper on, trunk harness installed, battery and box mounted, and trunk hinges and springs back on the car. Whoo I left work at 7pm and tommorow I'll be working on ur seats which by the way I have some questions 4 ya.

Steve1968LS2
10-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Steve... Today I got ur undercoating all pretty, Fuel lines plumbed up to the floor, bumper on, trunk harness installed, battery and box mounted, and trunk hinges and springs back on the car. Whoo I left work at 7pm and tommorow I'll be working on ur seats which by the way I have some questions 4 ya.

Yea, like why did Recaro send three LEFT sliders and one RIGHT????

Recars --> :wedgie: <--- me

Steve1968LS2
10-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Close.. oh so close..

Just need to plumb inside the trunk (hardlines), clean up the wiring, install the seats and then do a ton of detail work. The new coated exhaust system is on, the new Wilwood brakes are on (new way they etch the calipers, less obtrusive). The new 7/8-inch master cylinder is on and the new tires are all mounted up.

I also installed the new Momo shift knob and wheel. The Recaros will go in tomorrow (at least the drivers seat). Seems Recaro sent me three left sliders and one right one. Doh!

I also moved from 650 front springs to 450-lb. Lets see... She's looking good, won't be the most "technically perfect" car at SEMA but should look pretty under the lights. and she's a driver.

The trunk, still need to do the wiring.

Gandalf
10-07-2007, 05:57 PM
She's looking good, won't be the most "technically perfect" car at SEMA but should look pretty under the lights. and she's a driver.

Technically schmectiacally....Penny deserves to be front and center Steve! Get 'er done and let's go to SEMA!

She sure is pppuuurrrdddy!

G.

70TWO NOVA
10-07-2007, 07:04 PM
The cell turned out nice!

Mr.VENGEANCE
10-07-2007, 08:51 PM
loooook at those damn back tires!!!

SIK02SS
10-07-2007, 09:05 PM
damn, very envious Steve!

Steve1968LS2
10-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Car fired up today.. :woot:

We temporarily plumbed the fuel cell. After SEMA it will all be done in hardline, for now we did braided.

And if anyone is curious.. here's the bottom side.. not flashy but very functional.

Smock67
10-08-2007, 06:49 PM
wow that looks awesome in my book

rob07002
10-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Looks Damn nice! Congrats on getting her back on the road!

Where did you get your driveshaft? And why don't you want to keep the braided line? Smell?

Steve1968LS2
10-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Looks Damn nice! Congrats on getting her back on the road!

Where did you get your driveshaft? And why don't you want to keep the braided line? Smell?

Not quite on the road yet.. but running :)

Driveshaft is a 3.5" unit from Inland Empire Driveline.

The reason for ditching the braided is asthetic. The hardline will just look better inside the trunk. I haven't had a gas smell problem with the XRP braided line.

rob07002
10-08-2007, 06:58 PM
Not quite on the road yet.. but running :)

Driveshaft is a 3.5" unit from Inland Empire Driveline.

The reason for ditching the braided is asthetic. The hardline will just look better inside the trunk. I haven't had a gas smell problem with the XRP braided line.

Asthetic, pft! I thought Penny was a Streetfighter? :poke:

Only kidding, I'm the same way. What was the shaft? Around $400?

Steve1968LS2
10-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Asthetic, pft! I thought Penny was a Streetfighter? :poke:

Only kidding, I'm the same way. What was the shaft? Around $400?

$470 I think.. with the super nice yoke and all the other goodies.

You can look good.. it's just bad when you put the looks ABOVE the function.

Like the billet hood hinges.. are the necessary? no.. do they hurt performance in any way? no.. so it's all good. That sort of deal.

I just don't have the time to get the car to my car that has the tools to bend 1/2 inch stainless line so the braided will have to do for a month. :)

novanutcase
10-08-2007, 07:33 PM

Are those the "Sport" model seats?

John