PDA

View Full Version : Body dropping a 68 Camaro

73-TYPE-LT-LS1
12-22-2006, 05:27 PM
A buddy of mine is thinking about attempting a body drop on a 68 Camaro. He does not have the internet hence why I am posting for him. We both know what is involved in doing a framed vehicle but since these cars a unibody there are going to be differences. I wanted to start getting suggestions and ideas from the people here.

Some of the reasons for doing such on his car are:

Keeping ground clearence under the oil pan, for exhaust scraping, under carage draging and lowering the center of gravity.

He wants a real low stance and is concerned about the above.

First thing that comes to mind is the way the front subframe mounts. Obviously that would need to be reworked. We think moving the lower legs on the subframe up to where the rocker is, we could then reinforce them with some plate steel to the rocker still allowing us to bolt in the subframe. Rework some sheetmetal in the firewall area where the frame curves up towards the front suspension.

The inner fenderwells are coming out any way and those will get remade completely.

I'm assuming something will need to be done about the radiator support as moving the subframe up on the body would cause an issue there.

The rear of the car we were planning a back half any way so that is going to be completly different so no sense in really going over it yet.

What other areas on the front end would have to be tweaked to make such a thing work?

Anyone see someone channel a subframe set up?

Thanks in advance.

ssonic
12-22-2006, 05:55 PM
ive got no ideas but ill give you a free bump for encouragment and a badass plan keep us updated

ProBell
12-22-2006, 05:56 PM
If you drop the body to much you will need to rework the steering. The exhaust will hit the floor pan, so you will have to make a path for the exhaust.
Just some food for thought. I used the lower body mount and modified the front suspension to travel farther so the car can sit low and still have good travel.
A dry sump oil pan would solve the oil pan issue if it was in the budget. Randy

73-TYPE-LT-LS1
12-22-2006, 07:37 PM
Probell,

Thanks for the info. I looked through some of your pictures to try and uderstand what you mean by "I used the lower body mount and modified the front suspension to travel farther so the car can sit low and still have good travel."

Can you go in to a little more detail? If you have pics that show more of what you are talking about that would be awesome too. Thanks a ton.

ProBell
12-23-2006, 11:27 AM
I bought a set of aluminum body mounts that bring the fame up tighter to the body. I believe they came from Detroit Speed.
I attached a picture of the front frame rail. Buy cutting the spring pocket down,the lower A arm can travel farther up.
One other thing I had to do was raise the back of the tunnel for the drive shaft. The yoke at the rear U joint hit the floor at full travel.
Randy

ProdigyCustoms
12-23-2006, 12:07 PM
We actually call it channeled, not droped. Here is one for you channeled 5". Exhaust went through the tunnel.

http://prodigycustoms.com/mikes-prodigy.asp

73-TYPE-LT-LS1
12-23-2006, 01:34 PM
Very nice looking car.. Do you happen to have any more detailed pics regarding the front subframe. Did you move the mounting points of the subframe up or did you just build the subframe to where it is now solid in the car?

I'm wondering if it would be possible to mount the subframe on top of the existing lower (rear) mount. So basically the subframe would slide in through the bottom of the firewall to the existing lower mount. Then build a new mount for the upper (front) mount. Seems like that would make it easier than cutting out the existing mounts and moving them up.

ProdigyCustoms
12-23-2006, 02:32 PM
It is a full chassis, the "stub" frame is mount 4" high then the stock location. I doubt you idea will work that simple, but you could move everthing up. The problem will quickly be seat mounting as the seats will be 4" haigher, and there already is not enough head room in these cars.

I cannot really think of a way to do it without going full frame and floors. But then again, I am not the end all engineer either.

73-TYPE-LT-LS1
12-23-2006, 08:42 PM
My buddy who owns the car is probably 5'7" so he is not a real tall guy. So lifting the seat may not be that big of a deal.

I agree "just sliding it on top" isn't going to be that easy, but it might be something that could work. I quickly scetched out an idea that I think could work. Basically making some boxes off the rockers for the subframe to slide in to and bolt in.

boodlefoof
12-28-2006, 07:22 AM
My Datsun 240-Z project is getting a full spaceframe chassis and I will be channeling what is left of the original body over the frame. Actually, so much of the original body will be gone that I'm not sure you could even call it channeling... more like sticking what is left of the body to the frame! I also plan on running the exhaust through the trans tunnel.

Camaro Zach
12-28-2006, 06:29 PM
Here is my project https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3080&page=3&highlight=jumbo+shrimp im building the chassis from 2x4" sq tubing and it sits perfectly inside the rocker. Ill get you some more detailed pictures of exactly how well it fits the original structure of the car.
And if keeping the stock front subframe I would chop it off about even with the firewall and tie into it like / \. And not use any of the part that bolts to the floor/seat pan.

Jimmy Sean
12-29-2006, 07:06 AM
Contact Tony Huntimer (TonyHuntimerRaceHome) he had some pictures of the Dyno West camaro in the early build stage that showed the subframe on top of the floor pan.

MuscleRodz
12-29-2006, 08:25 AM
I channeled mine over the original floor bringing the sub flush with the pinch welds on the rockers. It required making new inner rocker, back halving the car, and making a new firewall. it will reek havoc on all kinds of clearance issues and require many one off parts.

Mike

73-TYPE-LT-LS1
01-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks guys for the feedback you have provided so far!!

Camaro Zach, are you on LS1tech??

Mo67.. Is that his user name here?

Camaro Zach
01-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks guys for the feedback you have provided so far!!

Camaro Zach, are you on LS1tech??

Mo67.. Is that his user name here?Yes I am a member. I am Camaro Zach on there, there is another guy that is Camaro_Zach though. Sorry i never got back with more detailed pictures. I tried to get some but they didn't come out very well.

Jimmy Sean
01-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Mo67.. Is that his user name here? Yes it is.

Here is the car I was referring to and he can be found in this thread also. https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25666

73-TYPE-LT-LS1
01-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Yes I am a member. I am Camaro Zach on there, there is another guy that is Camaro_Zach though. Sorry i never got back with more detailed pictures. I tried to get some but they didn't come out very well.

Gotcha.. I thought you might have been a fellow moderator over there.. I was being lazy and didn't want to check..

pdq67
10-13-2007, 12:06 PM
I would plasma torch the complete bottom out of a jig-held Camaro and then install a complete full frame like say a modified '57 frame under it and then install the floor pans located at the bottom of the frame b/c the body would be located there too but on the outside of it!!

To get that channeled look!!

pdq67

dipren443
10-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Sounds like a great application for a Art Morrison MaxG chassis. :drive: