PDA

View Full Version : Should I use a rear swaybar?

80Camaro
11-16-2006, 07:10 PM
I've installed the whole Hotchkis TVS kit up to the rear sway bar in my '71 Camaro. But I've read a few times that it causes oversteer...badly. Any opinions on this?

6'9"Witha69
11-17-2006, 09:25 AM
Yes, it can cause oversteer. Basic rule of thumb, small block cars do not need one. BB cars do. As with anything, it comes down to exactly how your car is set up and what it will be used for. If you already have it, install it and test it. If the rear breaks loose without any effort and you know you are not overdriving the car, remove it.

dhardison
11-17-2006, 10:23 AM
Basic rule of thumb, small block cars do not need one. BB cars do. Agreed. My Nova handles like azz without a rear sway.

David Pozzi
11-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Install it.
We have the Hotchkis TVS kit on my wife's 73 Camaro and a rear sway bar is needed to balance the car. If your rear tires are at all larger than the front tires, you need the rear bar even more.

We autocross and open track the car and it's almost perfectly balanced this way.
David

Lowend
11-17-2006, 11:45 AM
All Camaro's have a tendency to understeer with factory suspension, so most of the time a correctly matched set of front and rear swaybars is a good thing.
The only time I forego rearsway bars on 1st and 2nd gen Camaros is when there is a Poly or Aluminum front eye bushing in the leafspring. The solid front eye bushing causes some bind in the rear suspension so can act like a rear swaybar.

Steve1968LS2
11-20-2006, 10:36 AM
g/28 was slower with a rear sway-bar. Most likely due to the poly bushings making everything so stiff already.

I think it will depend on your individual set-up

68Formula
11-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Um, you already have it. Put it on, don't like it, take it off again. THE best way to tell.

darren@ridetech
11-21-2006, 08:13 AM
g/28 was slower with a rear sway-bar. Most likely due to the poly bushings making everything so stiff already.

I think it will depend on your individual set-up

Was that with the leaf springs or the AirBar?

Lowend
11-21-2006, 10:53 AM
I'd like to give the Gz8 a shot myself and see if its quicker with the rear swaybar. People who are not "dialed in" Auto-Xers can have massive fluctuations in runs.

Bandit
11-22-2006, 01:57 AM
Although I have not had mine on a skidpad, I think it handles very balanced with the rear bar. I have the entire TVS system installed with Bilstein shocks and 285 rear tires, and a big block. I don't think I'll take the bar off because right now the rear will get loose slightly before the front, which is what I want, by this point all 4 wheels are providing audible feedback and I'm at the limits of adhesion. My setup is very easy to keep in line, feels very solid and predictable. Of course your choice also depends on yopur driving style and preferences, but all-around, the TVS is a VERY well-designed system as is. I would echo what others have said here, install everything and test it, then remove the rear bar if necessary and try it again and see what you think.

Steve1968LS2
11-22-2006, 07:01 AM
Was that with the leaf springs or the AirBar?

With the leaf springs.. we never tried it with the air bar since it felt so good the way it was :)