PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy on Garage floors?

BuddyP
04-09-2006, 06:01 PM
I bought a few kits to do my garage floor, has anybody used the Rust Oleum Epoxy floor kit? Here's my worry, 8-9 years ago (when my garage floor was new) I put one coat of Thompson's water sealer on it. When water is on the floor it does soak in within a couple minutes. The Epoxy kit says if a floor has been sealed, that it may not adhear properly. But there is different types and variables of garage floor sealers too.

So basically, has anybody used this and had a issue due to grease, oil or sealer under the epoxy before? I already have scrubbed down the floor and plan to coat it Teusday.

Steve68
04-10-2006, 05:45 AM
you need to acid etch the floor, Check with the do it yourself places. The Depot, Lowes etc. they should be able to help you, My brother put dwn the gray epoxy the you sprinkle the little dots on top of that stuff is awsome looks great, the old neighbor painted his floor with some stain would peal up with hot tires, since you did the water seal, which has probably worn away now, I would etch it,

chet
04-10-2006, 07:16 AM
I am going to be doing the rustoleum this weekend! The kit comes with a citric etching compound which may work. I would suggest acid etching it first then use the citric in the kit. Problem is in non traffic areas the sealer will still be there.

Let me know how it goes so i have some pointers! (other than having a good supply of beer on hand!)

BuddyP
04-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Yeah it had the citric blah blah something or other in it. So does that do some etching? There was never any high traffic on this floor. This will really throw off my schedule now since it'll be getting back into the high 50's in a couple days, and would need to wait for the floor to dry.... crap! I may just do it tommorow anyway. Garage door is open right now letting the floor dry out.

slenning
04-12-2006, 04:38 AM
Use muriatic acid on it first. You can get it at any decent hardware store. Mix it with water, pour and broom it on a 100 square foot area at a time, rinse it off. Does take a little while to dry again but sure beats the paint coming loose. Did my floor last summer. Holding up great.

slenning
04-12-2006, 04:56 AM
BTW I did a beige floor with black and white fleck. My wife walked around in metal spike golf shoes to spread the fleck. Heres a pic showing my floor (and my 12 bolt) . :sleeping:
[/URL][URL=http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img04710il.jpg]https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif (https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/)

kamaroman68
04-12-2006, 05:00 AM
rustoleum product explicitly says do not use muriatic acid. I too have been waiting to do this to my garage but here in NY its either to cold or raining all the time. Chris

slenning
04-12-2006, 05:59 AM
I did use a different epoxy on my floor so I didn't know not to use muriatic acid with Rustoleum, sorry bout that. :hammer:

steemin
04-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Hey Buddy...
Make sure and use plenty of sand/grit whatever material it is that they use to enhance traction..

My floor is dangerous when it gets wet....

Scott

BuddyP
04-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Thanks guys. I noticed the same thing about it saying not to use muratic acid. I thought maybe it was just to do with breathing it in?? I have a bottle of it here at the house. Gotta watch the fumes on that stuff though, practically starts rust on metal almost on contact!

Scott, yeah I thought ahead knowing I'd be tracking snow in and out of there a lot LOL! They make a grit you mix in with it to enhance traction. I ended up putting up a divider wall in the garage and am using VCT tile on the shop side and will use the epoxy on the car side (but will be awhile before I put it on now). Drove by the cottage the other day... it's looking good!!

BuddyP
04-16-2006, 07:17 PM
well, decided to use VCT on the shop side of the garage. Just finished it up Friday night. Going to epoxy the car side a couple months down the road. It turned out pretty slick. Threw in a wall to devide the shop and car side with a 12' 4 panel sliding door to move smaller items in and out.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

rocketrod
04-16-2006, 08:04 PM
That looks great! Where did you get the VCT? I am getting ready to move and want to do something similar.

BuddyP
04-17-2006, 05:33 AM
Thanks! You can get it at any of the big building goods stores (Lowes, Home Depot, Menards). There's a couple brands out there, I used Armstrong. If you go into one of those stores just say you are looking for some Commercial grade CVT tile. It's basically the same stuff you see in schools and those type of buildings. And they are cheap at around 57 cents per sq/ft.

The colors in the pic are altered a bit but I have tan walls so I used black and tan tiles.