PDA

View Full Version : ats spindles again

dgumoe
12-27-2005, 12:05 PM
so since i have yet to purchase any of my suspension goodies, i think i can wait a little longer for the ats spindle for my g-body. reason being is they eliminate the bumpsteer and ackerman problems altogether so i guess i wont be doing the zq8 conversion i planned. but i do have a question about the camber gain and handling improvements over stock. would it be better to run the tall spindle with short arms? or the stock height spindle with tall ball joints? the preliminary price that i saw (like 650 with bearings) is right in line with me doing zq8 spindles and c4 hubs. so the potential for no bumpsteer is definetly the benefit. but will i see more handling improvements with a tall UBJ and the stock height or tall spindle and regular UBJ?

Marcus SC&C
12-29-2005, 09:59 AM
That`s kinda a loaded question. The ATS tall spindles will fit a G body with a ball joint taper change (no problem since they`re interchangable in the spindles) but as of yet there are no G body steering arms for them. As an ATS dealer we`re working with them on some new applications,including G body. When they`re done the ackerman with be stock or slightly better and the bumpsteer about as good as it gets without replacing the rest of the steering gear too. With ZQ8 spindles (or stock spindles) and just tall upper ball joints the geometry won`t be as good as the tall ATS spindles. With tall upper AND lower ball joints and the proper upper arms (Street Comp Stg.2 package) the suspension and steering geometry will be comparable. Why so similar? Because it`s just plain good geometry and it works very well! If the price comes out the same and you`re not in a hurry the ATS spindles are a better choice than making your own setup with ZQ8 spindles. When they become available we`ll be offering them bundled with our adj. tubular upper arms. It should prove to be a very impressive setup! Mark SC&C

aonghus
12-29-2005, 08:41 PM
...and you`re not in a hurry...

:seizure:
LOL

dgumoe
12-30-2005, 09:09 AM
as always marcus, thank you for a no b.s. accurate answer. and im always in a hurry, its my wallet that cant keep up. lol