PDA

View Full Version : Which tall ball joint?

joe g
10-19-2019, 05:29 PM
Hi guys.

This post is a side note to my post on my "baffling" suspension issue. I'm going to reinstall the stock spindles on my Ride Tech control arms as a test. I'm told I need to have a tall ball joint to prevent binding with the Ride Tech upper arm. Proforged make a .5 inch tall and a .9 inch extra tall ball joint. I currently have the tall L&H spindles which are 1 1/2 taller than stock.

My question is which tall ball joint would work better, the .5 or .9? The .9 seems like an obvious choice as I already have been using a 1 1/2 inch taller spindle, but that also seems like a lot of leverage on the ball joint.

I'm also going to order the tall outer tie rod ends as recommended to help reduce bumpsteer.

I've check David Pozzi's site but I can only find info on the .5 ball joint.

Thanks for any insight.

Joe

79T/Aman
10-20-2019, 08:03 AM
I don't see why you need tall ball joints with the tall spindles, where did that info come from?

joe g
10-20-2019, 09:52 AM
I don't see why you need tall ball joints with the tall spindles, where did that info come from?

I guess I wasn't clear. I am re-installing the stock spindles to take the L&H Customs spindles out of the equation to see if my problem disappears.

I did contact Ride Tech for their advice but have not heard anything yet.

Joe

79T/Aman
10-20-2019, 03:09 PM
AH! I would use the .9 tall then

cdrod
10-21-2019, 09:12 AM
I used tall ball joints from Howe Racing. These are rebuildable and have multiple stud lengths ranging from +.1" to +.9" Here's a link to their site:

https://howeracing.com/index.php/ball-joint-precision-upper4-blt-68-72-chev-67-69-camaro.html

Rodney