PDA

View Full Version : Billet or solid tie rod sleeves

EastYorkStang
10-22-2018, 09:18 PM
I'm rebuilding the steering on my1965 El Camino daily driver. Don't plan on racing it. Are the solid billet steel tie rod sleeves worth the way extra cost over the split steel ones ?
I planned on using Moog pieces.

Thanks.

cornfedbill
10-23-2018, 05:05 AM
The billet sleeves are stronger. But I've never seen the factory style sleeves fail.

However, I went with billet sleeves for peace of mind.

stab6902
10-23-2018, 05:17 AM
I prefer the split steel ones. I like being able to see how much of my tie rod I have threaded in and they are easier to deal with if things get super crusty down there (probably not a huge factor on a pampered "toy" car, but it's nice to be able to shoot penetrating oil in there and spread the sleeve a little if stuff gets rusted together).

rickpaw
10-23-2018, 05:55 AM
Billet ones for me. Liberal use of anti seize on the threads. No problem so far (my car is a street car/not pampered at all).

stab6902
10-23-2018, 04:48 PM
By pampered toy car I was meaning not regularly driven in snow, salt, dirt roads, etc. The way most of our cars are used I bet either option would be fine for decades corrosion-wise.

pitts64
10-25-2018, 03:53 AM
I bought a generic pair on e-Bay and I like them a lot. The flats make tuning a snap...

a67
10-31-2018, 07:27 AM
I like the solid sleeves for multiple reasons. Most importantly is that I don't need to deal with positioning the clamps in the correct location. Not doing so can have the clamps hit the frame and bend the tie rods.

Bob.

David Pozzi
11-12-2018, 02:21 PM
One problem I see is, the stock tie rod ends don't have fully formed threads. I think they are thread rolled at the factory and those threads are extra fine pitch with not much height. Not a problem with the clamp type tie rod sleeves but threaded sleeves can feel pretty loose until you tighten the jam nuts. I always worry they will come loose, but have never seen a problem with them.

raustinss
11-12-2018, 02:59 PM
Let's also consider the power , speed and tire sizes the factory style were designed for . Any thought about that should make most of us run to the full thread style vs the split style