PDA

View Full Version : Electric motors from hell !!!

Bird of Prey
03-30-2018, 12:20 AM
I will start from the the middle . I was doing burnouts in my electric car down the street . The third time I did it , I burnt up the motor . I was gonna get the motor H rated but then I came across two Warp 11 motors . One electric car that uses them on the streets , that is heaver then my car and does 9.80sec (I think) in 1/4 mile . So why come and ask you guy's for suspension help ? It's still a muscle car /pro touring car . I was gonna mount these motors on my axle or put them in the tunnel . I need help to deside on the motor location . The battery's are up front and are slightly heaver then the motors . It uses a Ford rear end . I am putting fat tires on the back anyway . So , do I put a axle out back like a golf cart ? Or do I do I just hang it in the center like tunnel like every one ? If I put it in the center , I can change rear ends . If I put the motors in the rear end it will be lite over all , and look cool .

stab6902
03-30-2018, 12:19 PM
I would not suggest mounting two electric motors directly on the axle "golf cart style" if that's what you're asking. Each of those motors weigh 223 lbs; you do not want 446 lbs of extra unsprung weight! Besides, it would take a ton of fabrication to make a setup like that work.

andrewb70
03-30-2018, 01:31 PM
I would not suggest mounting two electric motors directly on the axle "golf cart style" if that's what you're asking. Each of those motors weigh 223 lbs; you do not want 446 lbs of extra unsprung weight! Besides, it would take a ton of fabrication to make a setup like that work.

Agreed!

Also, it is always best to keep as much weight inside the wheelbase. Got pictures of any of this?

Andrew

Bird of Prey
04-03-2018, 06:40 PM
This is the car with the solar wing on back . I was and in the middle of my 71 Thunderbird engine , so I have no new photos .

Bird of Prey
04-03-2018, 07:43 PM
If the battery's are below the center of gravity and the motor axle combo is below the center of gravity , will it not just act like a Porsche . The battery's are all up front and about 400#'s . I was gonna put fat tires on back any way . And I wouldn't have to cut and redo my floor . Making the axle/motor will be made from aluminum and alloy's .

stab6902
04-04-2018, 04:09 AM
No, you're missing the distinction between sprung and unsprung mass. Having the motor mounted behind the rear wheels like a Porsche 911 is one thing; having a motor (or 2) mounted directly to the axle is completely another. With your idea, the 600+ lb motor/transmission/axle assembly would be unsprung weight that moves around with every bump, road undulation, etc, so it'd be practically impossible to get the car to ride and handle decently. I'd suggest doing some reading on the sprung vs unsprung mass topic; here's a basic article to get you started: http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/sprung-c.htm

Bird of Prey
04-04-2018, 01:42 PM
OK , I asked Pro-Touring guy's and got my answer . Center mount it will be . Guess I'll have to have a open floor in the car til I can weld it in . Plus , changing gears will be nice .

andrewb70
04-04-2018, 01:49 PM
Hopefully you're also ditching the pimptastic wheels...LOL

Andrew

Bird of Prey
04-04-2018, 11:44 PM
Had those three spokes a long time . At least I don't do acid and want thrust/cragar knock-offs and a mullet .