PDA

View Full Version : Wheel help for a 1969 Avanti

Drat
04-08-2015, 10:48 PM
I inherited my folks Avanti when my mom passed several years ago. They had it since new and I've been rebuilding it.

ive been focusing on making low and go.

it has a 1968 corvette 350 and Borg Warner power shift that was stock. My mom blew the motor in 77 and was rebuilt in 95.

Ive be done the normal bolt on mods. Headers, exhaust, intake, carb, full msd ignition system, 202 heads, Willwood master, new booster, converted to modern disks up front. Rebuilt the front end and suspension front and rear, and lowered it 2 inches in front and 3 in the rear. My estimates are around 350ish for HP and the car weighs under 3000 pounds.

before body and paint I am now looking to do wheels. It has 15x7 cragar coke bottles on it that my dad put on in 76.

It has 5 on 4.5 up front (ford) and 5 by 4.75 (Chevy) bolt patterns. I think back space is 4.5 stock but I don't know the stock back space for sure, but have been told on the Avanti forums that oem mustang 17 inch 99-04 wheels fit if you use a 1/4 inch spacer up front (his car has ford bolt pattern front and rear).

ive been told by les Schawb that the wheels I like wont work because they aren't rated for that much horse power.. And the bolt patterns aren't avaible, and that the back space won't work, I don't think 350 is a lot, but whatever and from what I can tell on line it seems they might fit with some work.https://www.pro-touring.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=111290&stc=1

I Wanted the TSW nurenburgring in 17 x 8 up front with a 35mm offset running a 1/4 inch spacer I believe a 25mm offset would work without a spacer, and 18x9 or 9.5 out back. tSw told them that my car is too strong for a wheel developed for a in line 4.. And wouldn't be safe... This from the Tsw directly.. Ok... Ummm bs?

then I thought the Niche targa wheels. But I'm getting the same response.

This isnt a serious pro tourer, so I don't mind running spacers. It handles really great compared to stock, and is very quick and I'm hopping with some meat on the ground it will do even better. I drive it aggressive, but don't have any dreams of racing it, it's just a cool family heirloom i wanna make as baddass as possible.

I also only want to spend 200 a wheel plus or minus with 300 a wheel the max. Is this unreasonable? I keep being told 400 to 800 a wheel is my only option. I just can't see that... I thought there was some people running similar wheels on this forum with wayyyyy more HP than I have.

i don't want to put muscle car 5 spoke American racing, foose, cragar, or other typical wheels on it. I want a mullit spoke, like the nurbubring for looks.

i haven't been able to do my own measurements as my garage was broken into and all my tools stolen. So I'm trying to do as much research as possible to give les Schawb. They are being really helpful, but are scratching their heads on what to do for me.

any help would be much appreciated

72_Nova
04-09-2015, 05:40 AM
whats your bolt pattern?

Drat
04-09-2015, 07:59 AM
5x4.5 up front 5x4.75 out back

72_Nova
04-09-2015, 09:07 AM
tsw makes both those sizes and a 20mm offset = no spacers! what wheel did you like from them

Drat
04-09-2015, 11:06 AM
the Nurembergring, and interloos. 17 by 8 and 18 by 9, may e 9.5 out back.

Why would they say they dont? Becuase my car iant in thier data base and they just dont think outside the box?

Heres a question why would tsw say those wheels arent rated for 350 hp? Thats not a lot, and they have pictures orf m5s and mercs with way more than what ive got?

72_Nova
04-09-2015, 12:28 PM
the Nurembergring, and interloos. 17 by 8 and 18 by 9, may e 9.5 out back.

Why would they say they dont? Becuase my car iant in thier data base and they just dont think outside the box?

Heres a question why would tsw say those wheels arent rated for 350 hp? Thats not a lot, and they have pictures orf m5s and mercs with way more than what ive got?

Well the Nurembergring and interloos do not come in the right offset for you and ya Becuase your car isnt in their data base.

Drat
04-09-2015, 01:23 PM
Ok that makes more sense, thanks for your help! What wheels would work from them with the bolt pattern and offset?

HELLCAMINO
04-20-2015, 02:50 AM
The closest bolt pattern TSW makes for a Chevy 5x4.75 is the 120mm pattern (GM is 120.65). It can still be done, I have TSW's on both my rides, took some spacing though for my cars.

Drat
05-10-2015, 05:05 PM
So after shaving 1/4inch of the inner fender lip, and rasing the car an inch up front and rear i was able to fit 18x8 with 4.75 back space up front and 18x8 and 5 inch back space Out back (which required milling the rears 1/4 inch of mounting face) .. really wanted 18x9 out back but without serious investment it wasnt possible.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2015/05/20150509_1908371_zpsvuturi57-1.jpg (http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/dratdiestler/media/20150509_190837-1_zpsvuturi57.jpg.html)

iadr
05-18-2015, 09:42 AM
I like it. Not sure how much it moves on the suspension but that is waaay more clearance than several late model cars have off the showroom floor. Not sure whether you are chasing a specific look where the rears stay within the body line or why you had to "tweak" the rears as you describe.

To me, to get the look I like, I'd go two sizes wider tire on the front, and a small spacer behind the front wheels... get the relationship to the front fender lip and to the rear tire width right.

Drat
05-20-2015, 05:55 PM
I like it. Not sure how much it moves on the suspension but that is waaay more clearance than several late model cars have off the showroom floor. Not sure whether you are chasing a specific look where the rears stay within the body line or why you had to "tweak" the rears as you describe.

To me, to get the look I like, I'd go two sizes wider tire on the front, and a small spacer behind the front wheels... get the relationship to the front fender lip and to the rear tire width right.

I had the car an inch lower But I had to raise it and shave a 1/8th off the inner fender lip to get from and rear to clear with the spring rates i have and not hit the front of the front fender when turning. I would love both to tuck more and have a little more tire too, but this was a compromise.

The studebaker chasis is hard to get stuff to fit for sure

The car is overall an inch and a have lower than stock. If i get it lower with stiffer springs front and leafs in rear i.may be able to get it a little closer, i am also considering flairing the fenders...

It does ride and handle 10 times better with with ive done suspension and tire/wheel wise. So im pretty happy!