Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

pro touring 65 vette starter

I came across this 65 vette, looks like it could be a good project starter. Im no corvette expert but from what i can tell it was an original 350 car. The owner says it was modified back in the 90s before they bought it, ( flares, hood, pipes, interior) It looks solid just a couple small spots in the fiberglass need repair. Im not sure what the value is in this bad of shape. There is no engine in the car and the original engine is gone.Name:  20221112_100838.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  225.0 KBName:  20221112_101112.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  498.9 KBName:  20221112_101318.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  267.0 KBName:  20221112_101320.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  356.0 KB

The flares can be fixed. But the wind shield rust (bird cage per the Corvette guys) can be a killer. Also frame rust. If its been sitting on damp ground for awhile it's not going to be pretty.
      The good? It looks like it has all the window trim. Doesn't look like the front end has been modded but no bumpers?
      I assume the radiator support is still in the car? If it's rusted out on the bottom you will have rust other places.
      In 65 there wasn't a 350 only 327.
      I wouldn't touch it if I couldn't get it up in the air and get a good look underneath.

Thank you!
      What is a good way to check the bird cage without taking the car apart? They say the car was covered outside but hasnt been registered since 2017. so I assume its been sitting for 4 to 5 years.

I would go over to corvetteforums.com and ask the same questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifeman1 View Post
      Thank you!
      What is a good way to check the bird cage without taking the car apart? They say the car was covered outside but hasnt been registered since 2017. so I assume its been sitting for 4 to 5 years.
      Look closely around the windshield frame and around the dash. There is metal there that will rust. If the trim is removed, it will be much easier to spot.

If the interior is accessible, the passenger side kick panel can be removed with a phillips screwdriver easily. If it's still clean and green from the original primer, you're probably in good shape. This area gets wet and builds rust and scale.

Check the frame at the body mounts and in the area just behind the seat where the frame kicks up. They are bad about rusting in that area. A new frame is bad enough, but rebuilding the birdcage is tough.

Agreed that I wouldn't consider an offer on it until I could get underneath it and do a little poking around. If the seller refuses, walk away.
      Jim..Car Junkie
      1969 Vette--Big pistons, No turbo....yet
      RX7 Turbo II--No pistons. Big turbo--now in my Daughter's garage
      68 RS Z/28, '12 Boss 302, 86 911, several RX7's, 3rd gen f-bodies, fox body, and many more..(gone)

Country Flag: United States
      What are they asking for it? If it's too big of a project I'd take it on as my wife wants a 63 split,but this is as close as.shell get $$$ wise
      72 chevelle.

they are trying to come up with a price, In the shape its in with the engine missing and body modifications I thought it would make a good pro touring build project.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelletiger View Post
      What are they asking for it? If it's too big of a project I'd take it on as my wife wants a 63 split,but this is as close as.shell get $$$ wise
      If this doesn't work out, how "63 Vette" does it have to be for your wife?

https://www.crcoachworks.com/models

These guys sell rebody kits for newer Corvettes that have the older Corvette look. They aren't the same as they have to conform somewhat to the newer car and it'll be an obvious rebody kit, but they do a pretty good job of integrating the older design queues to the newer body. I've always liked them, but never used them.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

they are trying to come up with a price, In the shape its in with the engine missing and body modifications I thought it would make a good pro touring build project.
      Did you find out anymore about this? I'd be interested if you pass on it. What state is it in?
      65 corvette, RS chassis, LS3, TKX

Sweet project! Let us know if you end up with it!
      Check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck rescues and rebuilds! THE BULLETPROOF GARAGE!!! - YouTube

Did you get the car?

I got it yesterday and got it home. I have some better pictures now i will post.

I look forward to seeing pics and hearing about the vette. I've got a modded '71. like others have said Vette's don't like sitting outside, they rot big time. Hopefully you didn't pay too much for it? Although it's a great project to Pro Tour. Good luck!

new pic

Name:  20221217_151333_resized.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  442.6 KBName:  20221217_151342_resized.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  516.3 KBName:  20221217_151359_resized.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  549.7 KBName:  20221217_151352_resized.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  526.7 KB

';dlkfjngg;azlkjdfsg;alierjgf;oairejgfa;oirjvb;oai dfjvo;izdfjv;oizdfjv

I know its way early but over on Corvetteforums.com there is a guy that makes a really slick electric head light motor conversion. I used it on my 71 C3 and it allowed me to get rid of all the vacuum stuff. Worked great.
      Good luck with your project.

Thank you! Ive got to start doing my research and figure out what parts to go with. I think im going toward a weekend warrior auto cross pro touring build. detroit speed underneath, maybe new chassis or maybe stay with the original.

Good looking project.
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

thinking of selling

Thinking of selling this one if you know anyone looking for one

Thinking of selling this one if you know anyone looking for one
      Is the frame and birdcage solid? Where is it located? Can you pm me a price. Or text me at 616-406-6385. Thanks

Just throw a motor and transmission in it and drive it!

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com