Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

will this chassis work for track days?

Dakota track side IMCA dirt stock car chassis. Metric G body clean chassis im sure the upper A arm mounts will have to be change along with cell and battery location. wanting to get into doing track days. Am I wasting my time with this??? thanksName:  24993514_1756746054399360_9152904523687714997_n.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  140.1 KBName:  24993514_1756746054399360_9152904523687714997_n.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  140.1 KB

Country Flag: United States
      IMO, the time and money required to make a chassis like that comfortable on a road course will not be cost effective. If you want a nice car to do strictly track days with, find yourself a nice Mazda Miata and start playing.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Support the RPM Act
      https://www.sema.org/rpm-faq.

been looking at Miatas but looks like there $20,000+ for a good used one. Really dont want a stock chassis deal but what i have and havign hell of a time finding a older Trans am or Busch car.

It could be made to work, but much much left side bias is in it that needs to be fixed and how much more stuff comes with it? Oval track parts are cheap, relatively speaking, but it looks like that needs absolutely everything.

Also, what are your goals with track days that would make this approach preferable over a street car? I'd check with local tracks and organizations about where you would fall with such a vehicle before buying. In many cases, a plain old street car is more effective at teaching lines and control than a nearly infinitely adjustable race chassis.

I seriously doubt you will find an older TA or Busch car in good shape for less than a solid street car.
      TonyC@HP2

i called the track would not give any info other than about racing door to door and not wanting to do that. and i should buy a C5 vette and I hate vettes. doing a stock G body would be around $4,000 becouse have cage done on this car and would have to find chassis shop to cage a street car. Been looking at cars for some time but not lookinhg at spending $30,000+ for rollers and $50,000+ for so called race ready to just try it and see even if I like it and or Suck

been trying to figure out how to post pics of as it sits now and cant

If the track only sanctions door to door racing, then ask them who reserves the track for the open track days. Odds are its SCCA, NASA, or USCA. In which case, you would need to reach out to them for info on the track days or visit their websites to start dissecting the info.

However, I suspect, like most track days I see where I'm at, the whole purpose of track day is a controlled driving experience at speed on a road course with street vehicles, hence, no need for a fully caged vehicle. You do not need to have high power, nor massive rubber, nor adjustable suspension to sign up. Its a case of meeting a basic safety inspection, hit the tarmac, and drive around to experience the feeling of high speeds. If you like it, then you can pursue mods to your G body or seek out a dedicated track car. Heck, for that matter, rent a mustang or camaro from a local rent a car place, and buzz around the track in that.
      TonyC@HP2

Quote Originally Posted by stapel7 View Post
      been looking at Miatas but looks like there $20,000+ for a good used one. Really dont want a stock chassis deal but what i have and havign hell of a time finding a older Trans am or Busch car.
      I saw a Track Ready Miata last week for $6k - Full Cage

Something to add is that i was not welcome at some track day type events because I had a race car not a street car.

I have a friend that is selling a NASCAR roller. I will PM you his number if you are interested in pursuing it.

If need be will put a Cutlass body on it with VIN. If i used this chassis will move firewall back and run a stock LS in it. I have a fear of racing without a cage been upside down 4 times so dont skimp on saftey.

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
      Something to add is that i was not welcome at some track day type events because I had a race car not a street car.
      That's Nuts!

Older Cup cars are my preferred method.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

A friend of mine has been driving this at track days for a while now and has a complete blast in it.

He picked it up for $5,000 with a couple of engines and a whole slew of extra parts.

Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

In addition to rebuilding enough of the chassis to take out the 58% left side bias most oval track cars are built with, you may want to check on with your local track/sanctioning organization is if you show up with a full blown race car with a cage, fuel cell, so on, will you also be required to outfit yourself with a certain level of fireproof clothing, Hans device, Snell rated helmet, date coded belts and fire suppression, etc that could add thousands of dollars of cost to what I'm assuming is intended to be a low dollar effort.

Save yourself a lot of time, effort, and expense; show up in your street car. You aren't racing. You don't need a full blow race car for your basic track day.
      TonyC@HP2

High plains. I will not get in a car on a track without a full professionally welded cage NO bolt in. A full containment seat good belts and a Hans. All that stuff is a very small price to pay then your flipping end over end at 150+ with no cage shoulder belts and cheap helmet with no Hans you be wishing you you have put safety first. The helicopter ride alone will cost more than you could ever spend on safety for one car

i called the track would not give any info other than about racing door to door and not wanting to do that. and i should buy a C5 vette and I hate vettes. doing a stock G body would be around $4,000 becouse have cage done on this car and would have to find chassis shop to cage a street car. Been looking at cars for some time but not lookinhg at spending $30,000+ for rollers and $50,000+ for so called race ready to just try it and see even if I like it and or Suck
      High plains. I will not get in a car on a track without a full professionally welded cage NO bolt in. A full containment seat good belts and a Hans. All that stuff is a very small price to pay then your flipping end over end at 150+ with no cage shoulder belts and cheap helmet with no Hans you be wishing you you have put safety first. The helicopter ride alone will cost more than you could ever spend on safety for one car

I'm really confused here. We've got three posts complaining about the cost of entry to getting a "race" car than one saying you won't get into a car without all sorts of expensive safety equipment that is race specific because its cheaper than being injured. Not sure what exactly you are after here as you have various snipets of info that seem to conflict with each other.

Perhaps you have a different definition of "race car" and "track day" than I do. The track days I have been to do not hit 150 mph speeds. The track days I have been to do not have cars "racing" door to door to require significant impact protection. The track days I've been to do not allow driving of such a caliber that you will be doing end over end rollovers.

I've been trying, obviously without much success, to advise that there are other ways to do this and other things to consider if you pursue a full blown caged race car for a non racing activity, which, by your own admission, you are not sure you will even like doing or not. Maybe you have spent all your budget on safety gear and that why you are cheaping out on the car. Maybe you have loads of experience you aren't telling us about. Maybe you haven't spoken with the people running and participating in your local track days and you don't fully understand what exactly it is and is not. Maybe you have mad fab skills and a shop full of equipment.

Whatever. I'll just stop trying to help here. Good luck and have fun.
      TonyC@HP2

I have only been to 2 tracks and was cars running over 150+. Yes want to do track days with no door to door racing want to just go fast and get lots of seat time. I seen cars doing 40 wreck hard enough that driver got killed

Name:  IMG_20171220_105442.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  173.5 KB

Name:  00404_56HXRpQUuJV_600x450.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  35.7 KB

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com