Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1980 Malibu Classic "Madge"

Well, after being a member for some time I've realized I never posted anything in any detail about my Malibu, "Madge". The car is named after my Grandmother, whom I inherited it from with 20k miles. It's a no-snow, almost never driven in rain, NJ survivor.

I'm trying to build my emulation of what GM might have done if they still made 454 powered Malibus in 1980. To make a short summary, I've removed the stock V6, rebuilt my GM LS6 454 with a full Comp Cams solid roller setup, ported heads with 2.25"/1.88 valves & a ported factory intake. I've replaced the supsension with Global West Delalum components, 12" 1LE front rotors & 1/2 ton pickup calipers, a 9" 3.70 rear with Explorer style 11" rear discs with parking brakes (I know, not GM... I ordered a 12 bolt & they built a 9" by mistake. I can't complain, they only charged me for the 12 bolt. LOL). I had a new front centerlink modified to allow bumpsteer adjustment since the B-body spindle conversion doesn't exactly have the most perfect geometry. I'm going to convert to a hydraulic clutch & reuse my M21 4 speed. I replaced the steering column with a factory manual trans column & a 1982 Vette leather wheel with a 1969 Chevelle Sport Wheel horn button.

In keeping with the GM OEM theme I've been slowly getting engine trim & dress up parts for a 1970 SS 454 Chevelle, including the Cowl Induction air cleaner. I will be retaining the A/C & the original V6 came with the same A6 compressor the A-bodies used, so I got factory A/C brackets from a 70's 454 pickup truck. They're the same as the 1970 Chevelle used, but about $200.00 cheaper than what the resto companies get for repops.

Originally I had 1987 Monte SS N90 wheels & BFG rubber, but when Year One introduced their new 17" "N90" (1980 Z28) wheels, I just had to have them. The modern rubber will work better with the updated suspension, too. Since I'm keeping the factory Medium Camel paint color, I had them refinished in the "proper" Solar Gold they would have been on a brown car from GM.

Most recently I got a Goodmark steel Cowl induction hood from a local bodyshop that is doing work for a friend's car & will probably do mine. I got it on the car last week, but don't have any good pictures yet, just a cell phone pic I took in the garage.

I think that more or less sums it up. Here's some pictures.

Tommy

Tommy Souren

"The older I get, the faster I was."

Grandma's 20k mile '80 Malibu Classic, in-progress factory style LS6 454, Legend LGT 700 5 speed, 9" 3.70 posi, Global West suspension, 12"/11" discs.

love this body style, had a wagon version of this years ago, great for burn outs!!!!!!

Nice, clean looking Malibu! looking forward to watchin this.
      1969 Pontiac GTO
      -The Nameless project.

0331, USMC, Semper Fi.

Very nice shape for a NJ car ... your doing it justice. Keep us posted.

R46

Country Flag: United States
      nice to see another g-body project here! looks good!
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

Love the steering wheel idea, I believe I'm gonna steal your idea and use it on my code 69, 35k mile 1980 Malibu, the only diff between yours and mine is mine is cloth interior, int ext colors appear to be the same.

Love those wheels
      Dave

Good looking 'Bu!

Any chance that you could get into more detail about that modified centerlink?

Malibuplotter, mine's a 69 Medium Camel Poly car, too.

SSninja, The centerlink was made specifically for the B-body spindle bumpsteer issue. You wouldn't want or need it for a stock front end. I've driven cars with stock centerlinks & b-body spindles & they really weren't all that much worse than the OEM bumpsteer. I don't have specs, as I begged another G-body owner that had one to make it for me under conditions of secrecy. IDK why he wants to keep it such a big hush hush... Basically he welded end link mounts to it & then used adjustable tie rod ends to allow for vertical adjustment. It's not perfect, but it's fine for what I'm doing & his has 10s of thousands of road miles on it.

Tommy

Tommy Souren

Grandma's 20k mile '80 Malibu Classic, in-progress factory style LS6 454, Legend LGT 700 5 speed, 9" 3.70 posi, Global West suspension, 12"/11" discs.

Should have mentioned that my car currently has the B-body brake swap, which is why I'm interested.

This secretive G-body owner wasn't Jeff Davidson, was it? He did something similar a few years back: http://jeffd.50megs.com/bump_steer_mods_page.htm

Mind shooting me a PM to talk more about it? I'd love some pictures and/or info.

always nice to see another G-body here...lookin good!

Dave "Big Nasty" B

I have a soft spot for this generation of Malibu. I did the same swap in mine, I put a 427 tripower vette, 4 speed in mine. Mine had the factory buckets and floor shifter. I ended up mini tubbing it, moving the frame rails inward 6 inches and putting a narrowed Dana 60.
      The rule is measure twice and cut once. My problem is I still measure with a mic and cut with an axe!

Mine had hotchkis arms, b body spindles, 1LE rotors and hd calipers, it was alot of fun with that stuff but I've recently swapped all that out for SPC,s- blazer, c5 brakes, tall b joints ect.. The previous set up is sitting in the corner of the garage, if Anyones interested In trying out the b-body swap pm me.. I'll save ya a few bucks.
      Tommy, it's not my intent to jack you're thread, I feel my post is relevant since we are talking b-body swaps, feel free to have a mod delete if I'm outta line.

Quote Originally Posted by SSninja View Post
      Should have mentioned that my car currently has the B-body brake swap, which is why I'm interested.

This secretive G-body owner wasn't Jeff Davidson, was it? He did something similar a few years back: http://jeffd.50megs.com/bump_steer_mods_page.htm

Mind shooting me a PM to talk more about it? I'd love some pictures and/or info.
      Jeff didn't make mine, but it's almost the exact same thing. The only pics I have are in the original post. Thanks for the info, I didn't know there might be an interference issue without an XH steering box. I have an XH box, but my braces aren't on the car yet.

Tommy

Tommy Souren

Just a quick update-
      I scored used Hooker 2241's for a measly $150.00. Next up is removing the three bolt flanges on the collector, welding on a ball & socket reducer & sending them out for coating. I was thinking of going with Nitro Plate. I used to use Jet Hot, but have heard a lot of not-so-good things about them recently.

I know I'm moving really slow, but I get all my funding from a Holiday Club account. I put a little money from every pay check in & get it back in mid October. As soon as I get my check, I'm getting a clutch & install it & the blowproof bell housing on the engine. The headers have to be laid into the chassis before the engine goes in, so once they come back from coating I'll be able to put the engine in!

Tommy

Tommy Souren

I've had a buddy with Swaintech Coatings before on headers and it was amazing. The heat reduction under the hood was incredible.

like it! I had a '78 'bu for a while once, w/ a 3 speed stick! didn't have the money back then to finish it, I'll be watching yours!
      Keith C.

Quote Originally Posted by LS6 Tommy View Post
      Just a quick update-
      I scored used Hooker 2241's for a measly $150.00.

Tommy
      Those headers are fun to install. You have to jack up the car while also having the motor raised off the mounts. If Hooker would have made the rear 2 tubes on BOTH sides slip fit, it would be alot easier. Have fun with those! Great looking project BTW! I dig the OEM theme.
      Marc Battiste

1969 Camaro
      LY6/T56/12 Bolt

After some thought, I'm not doing the headers & clutch just yet. Over the last few days I pulled the stock seats out, ordered new Corbeau bucket seats, found a REALLY good upholsterer to recover them & the stock back seat. Gonna pull the carpet today & remove the stock upholstery from the rear seat. Pics soon.
      I'm also considering getting new rear quarter panel interior plastic because even though mine only has 20k miles on it, it's just starting to get the dreaded G-body plastic rot & I think it would be better to replace those parts now while the seats & carpet are out rather than do it later after they've been replaced. Anybody have any experience with these:

http://www.customamericanautoparts.c...ms/DM05197.htm
      I know the picture shows black panels. They don't show Camel.

http://www.customamericanautoparts.c...ms/DM02697.htm

Tommy

Tommy Souren

Here's what Madge looks like down to the bare sheetmetal inside. Gotta love low mile cars!!

That's not rust. It's paint & OEM coating. Not a stain anywhere:

Rear plastics out:

Like brandy-new under the back seat, too:

Tommy

Tommy Souren

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com