Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Country Flag: United States

High Compression/ Boost on the street...

Hey everyone-

I’m preparing to install the 406 SBC engine from my old drag car into my wagon. This motor is 12.5:1 compression but I still plan on street driving it near daily. The cam has a ton of overlap, it’s 260/262 dur at .050 and is ground 4 deg advanced on a 110 centerline. I used to drive this engine daily in the Nova when it had flat tops and roughly 11:1. This engine has World Products iron heads on it. Guesstimated power is a little over flywheel 500 hp/ 500 ft lbs.

I don’t have much experience with driving a pump gas higher compression motor so I’m looking for suggestions to keep it from rattling apart with detonation. I am at 3000 ft altitude in Southern Utah so that helps a little, but I’ll be driving down to Vegas and So Cal for events.

• I can run 91 octane for daily use and something better for track days.
      • I’ll plan on retarding the timing for street driving
      • I was thinking to set up a methanol injection system for those occasional “freeway entrance ramp full throttle pulls”

Anybody use the Crane or MSD timing retard dials for non boosted applications?
      Here’s a link to the Crane version- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-6000-6425

Those of you running the meth inj, is it something you run anytime you’re at full throttle or is it just occasionally to clean carbon build up out of the cylinders?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
      -Ben, Your friendly neighborhood Rendering dude

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com