Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Widest wheels on 68-72 nova

Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 94880
Size:  83.7 KB Just purchased a 71 nova, 383 stroker, Richmond 5 speed, stock width currie enterprises 9 inch. Id love to have Detroit speed tubs put in but not in the budget for now. Saw this car on line and this is the look id like to have, appears to be a v40 vintage wheel works 18x9.5 rears, maybe??? 17x7 in the front???

Any info on backspacing, largest tire and wheel size front and rear would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Not sure of the actual specs, but I also saw this car for sale and fell in love with it. The entire car seems to be very well executed. Here is the link to the listing...the contact number is listed. Maybe he will share the specs with you.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/68608.html

Typically, you can't get anything wider than 9 inches without mini tubs, so I can only assume its tubbed. I just had mine done.I am running 10 inches out back and 9 inches up front. Will go wider in the rear once I shorten the rear axle.

Thanks, I got a hold of him and actually its not mini tubbed, they fit but were very close. Thanks again for the link, saved me a bunch of guess work.

Cool. Out of curiosity, what were the BS specs for the rear?

The owner is going to send me the specs but he thought the backspacing was 4.75, he said they did rub a little on a very hard turn.

Good deal. Be sure to share. This will be very useful information to share on a couple of the Nova forums in which I am also a member. Had I known how to squeeze a 9.5 without mini tubbing, I could have saved a ton of $$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by gmbdabest View Post
      The owner is going to send me the specs but he thought the backspacing was 4.75, he said they did rub a little on a very hard turn.
      I had that problem too, made up some Delrin leaf bushings and stopped a lot of the sway in the rearend. I've since done the minitub and TCI torque arm, running 11s out back now.

Jeff-

I have a 18x9.5 with 6"bs on the rear of my nova with a 275/40r18 and it will rub the shock body when making a right across a gutter.
      Chris Lansford

69 Nova that's never done

How much is it to do the mini tub? Detroit speed tubs I know the cost but what is to be expected labor wise?

How much is it to do the mini tub? Detroit speed tubs I know the cost but what is to be expected labor wise?
      The going labor rate with a subframe car like ours is around $1000. The price jumps up considerably with full framed cars, such as A bodies.

Did that guy ever send you those specs? I'm very curious to know the tire size and BS specs for future reference. It can save many of us X body owners tons of $$$ and headache when selecting wheels/tires.

not yet, he sent an email today saying he's working on finding the paperwork on the wheels, soon as I know ill post em. Thanks for the info on the mini tub

With and stock wheel tub, a 9.5" wheel with a 275 fit perfect.

I have DSE tubs modified and I run a 18x12 with 335's.

1972 Nova Ridetech, Forgeline, Falken Tires, Wilwood, Bowler Performance Transmission, Lingenfelter Performance Engineering.

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by Bad94 View Post

BAD ASS!!!!!335's are the plan for my 70 SS

With a stock wheel tub, a 9.5" wheel with a 275 fit perfect.

What was the BS for the old 275/9.5in setup?

Your current setup makes me cry....it is sick!

I agree that is sick looking! wish I had the money to do the dse tubs right now....

Quote Originally Posted by novajess1972 View Post
      What was the BS for the old 275/9.5in setup?

Your current setup makes me cry....it is sick!
      6"bs with a 9.5" wheel
      Chris Lansford

69 Nova that's never done

Just purchased a 71 nova, 383 stroker, Richmond 5 speed, stock width currie enterprises 9 inch. Id love to have Detroit speed tubs put in but not in the budget for now. Saw this car on line and this is the look id like to have, appears to be a v40 vintage wheel works 18x9.5 rears, maybe??? 17x7 in the front???

Any info on backspacing, largest tire and wheel size front and rear would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
      Did you ever hear back from the owner on tire sizes and backspacing?
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

What did you have to do to the dse tubs to fit the 335's? I was under the impression 315's were the limit on novas. I just got ride tech level 2 suspension and dse tubs for my 71 nova. I'd much rather a 335 of coarse....

Quote Originally Posted by jasonsnova View Post
      What did you have to do to the dse tubs to fit the 335's? I was under the impression 315's were the limit on novas. I just got ride tech level 2 suspension and dse tubs for my 71 nova. I'd much rather a 335 of coarse....

If I was to do it again, I would just mini tub it as DSE tells you to and run a 315.

I went a full 3" and had to split the tubs and widen them, I really only did it cause a few people told me it couldn't be done, well I did it.

Right now im running the 18x12 with a 315 Falkens
      1972 Nova Ridetech, Forgeline, Falken Tires, Wilwood, Bowler Performance Transmission, Lingenfelter Performance Engineering.

If I was to do it again, I would just mini tub it as DSE tells you to and run a 315.

I went a full 3" and had to split the tubs and widen them, I really only did it cause a few people told me it couldn't be done, well I did it.

Right now im running the 18x12 with a 315 Falkens
      do you think 315's with a 12" rim will fit dse tubs doing everything normal? Reason I ask is the rims I want to run are only available I. 8,9,10, &12" widths.....no 11's!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com