Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hybrid View

Country Flag: United States

BMW Rat Rod...love it or hate it

A friend sent me this link. Great pics. Crazy BMW saved from the crusher after an accident.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1536530

Tony Huntimer
      RaceHome.com

@Camaro.Family Camaros
      1967 #QuickChangeCamaro - SpeedTech Suspension LS1/T56
      1967 #CFBee - SpeedTech Suspension SuperCharged LS3/T56
      1969 #TaxReturnCamaro Art Morrison Suspension 496/T56
      1986 #IROCdaily - Stock IROC

well i guess SOMEONE had to do it, least the kids got balls.

I'm a fan of E28 and E30 BMWs generally, so I generally like it. But I've gotta admit that he took it way too far for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.VENGEANCE View Post
      least the kids got balls.
      Exactly... ya gotta admire his commitment and vision, even if you don't like his aesthetics or tastes.

how is that a rat rod?
      it doesn't have a flat head under the hood- it has a hood, which is also breaks a few rat rod rules, i think- or a really long shifter with a skull on the end..
      it also looks safe to drive down the road..

Quote Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
      how is that a rat rod?
      it doesn't have a flat head under the hood- it has a hood, which is also breaks a few rat rod rules, i think- or a really long shifter with a skull on the end..
      it also looks safe to drive down the road..
      There are no rules to rat rodding, except this.... Rat rodding doesn't happen deliberately. This isn't a rat rod. This is a poser. You can't make a new car into a rat rod. That's what these idiots don't get, especially people like that moron Joe Elmore on power block. Rat rodding isn't about planning something or going out and getting a street sign and cutting out part of your hood and welding it in. You don't MAKE a rat rod. It's about buying an old heap and getting it on the road as cheaply as possible and working on the car as you go, without being afraid of achieving some type of acceptance or norm. Its a constant transition. Taking a car and using a rusting solution on it is fine if that's your thing, but don't call it a rat rod because it's not.

Mathius

Don't like it or the way it was previously.
      Bob

Country Flag: Canada
      crazy!....the comments on the car were better than I expected, maybe only 40% haters.....MAN Id love to see the look on the faces of those arrogant "Im in a BMW Im all that" crowd as he drives around.....LUV IT!
      Nascar 69 Chevelle project, 1999 Hutch Pagan Nascar chassis, 69 Chevelle body,700hp, Penske's, slicks, roadrace track day https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...le-Cup-project
      89 Iroc 406 Fitech 5 spd
      01 chevy 2500HD 4x4 8.1 Allison
      31 Scarab 2 x 454

Quote Originally Posted by shortrack View Post
      MAN Id love to see the look on the faces of those arrogant "Im in a BMW Im all that" crowd as he drives around.....LUV IT!
      Depends. If he pulled into a car meet with all the vette "I'm in a vette I'm all that" people they would probably sneer at him. Or if he showed up at Mopar nationals with all the "I'm in a Hemi and I'm all that" people they'd probably throw used oil cans at him.....

Just saying.
      '66 GTO Vert Project "Red Ink", 462ci of stroked pontiac power, TKO600, SC&C Stg II+, Tubular lowers, Currectrac Rear suspension, Moser 12bolt w/Truetrack, Wilwood Master and discs all around, too much fun for words...

That's A LOT of work for a worthless car.
      Wayne Smith
      '70 Camaro - 406 - Street/Strip being converted to Pro-Touring (best 1/4 run - 11.05 @ 121, 1.50 60' - NA)
      '47 Chevy truck - 250 L6 / 5 spd - Resto Rod/Work Truck in the works

Excellent exercise in automotive visual art, fabrication, and photography. Thumbs up!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I still would like to see him replace that A pillar and windshield.....just because. Other than that...it's his car, and he had some great photography and back drops. (as Andrew pointed out)
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

Actually, I kinda like it...
      Steve Martin
      67 Camaro RS
      66 Chevelle

He started with a pretty cool car and it has a lot of nice performance upgrades....

and I was hoping he was just going to paint it flat black.

and I was tolerant of the hood....

then he lost me on the entire car covered in rust...

but when he chopped it, I began to hate.

The "Rat Rod" term is so over played that it just now means any crappy car with rust. Except for the general public who likes to call any Hot Rod a Rat Rod .
      As for this thing, maybe he should have just sent it to the crusher after wreck. At least with all the rust maybe it will just return to earth. It just seems a shame to me to put that much work in effort to make something crappier than it was, especially after he chopped up the top. JMHO
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'

I love this part...

I stayed up all night to make a new harness from scratch.

Q: "Which wire goes to this switch?"
      A: "Uhhh... the RED one"
      Derek Kiefer,
      Mantorville, MN

he took what was essentially trash and made it into something special. That's awesome.

I'm freakin' nuts about it--makes me want to start a new project....

Quote Originally Posted by Derek69SS View Post
      I love this part...

Q: "Which wire goes to this switch?"
      A: "Uhhh... the RED one"
      My buddy bought a '76 TA and I swear it was this guys uncle who sold it to him. There was red 8 ga. wire all over that car. This is like a repeat.
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

I liked it until the roof hack.

Kudos for being different. Well, not actually different, just for V-Dubing a BMW.
      Todd S.

"I like to race school buses..."

Like all good projects or works of art, you have to know when to stop.

A little too trashed at the end for my taste, I did dig the cockpit controlls and airplane seats though. Overall very cool vision and EXCELLENT photos! Gotta love it for being different. I actually really like that it had a supra engine, had to be one scary ride with it basically bouncing off the asphalt all the time and having that much horse power.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com