Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Dse Stands

Country Flag: Canada
      Damn, you'll need a lift truck to move them!

Ken

If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Damn, you'll need a lift truck to move them!
      Haha yeah it takes me awhile to move them one by one but for the price of FREE I can't complain.
      Jose (Joe)
      1963 Nova SS Convertible
      1978 Malibu LT1/4L60E
      1978 Malibu Stock
      1983 Malibu Estate Woodie Wagon
      2007 Harley Dyna SB

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by CRCRFT78 View Post
      Haha yeah it takes me awhile to move them one by one but for the price of FREE I can't complain.
      yea.....those MIGHT fail........with a building on them!!! wow, now those are heavy duty.....nice find

Had to make some (sorry for crudy pix..phone)...

but boy is it a mission to get her up there...

gonna have to get a taller floor jack...
      Attached Images Attached Images        

2x4 Wheel Cribs

Whos using them? And I am talking about the home made kind, not the plastic/manufactured kind. I'm going to make some this weekend and would love any pictures, advice, dos/dont's or other threads out there on the subject.

make them wider than the widest tire you run...we do ours at 16" wide and an 8 stack, so the tire is locked in and the bottom slats are parallel with the car for stability. use 2" nails and nail the bottom slats from the bottom.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

I made a set. I think my dimensions were 17 X 10 and they work great. My tires are 26-7" in diameter so I just made a 26.5" circle with a string and measured how much distance would be needed for the the tire to be supported on the bottom while captured by the 2 X 4s on the side. The end result is super stable. I just used one 2.5" screw per junction and it works just fine.

I went 7 high as my jack gets pretty iffy at anything higher. I was able to weld in my SFC's at that hight with using a creaper most of the time.
      71 Formula, 455 SD/KRE D-Ports, Crower solid cam, TKO 600, 3:73 Eaton posi. 17" ARE 200s, , 1LE brakes, Koni, Rancho adjustable bars, Hotchkis springs

I forgot to mention, I was going to go with 14" x 16" with an 8 stack. Sounds similar to what you are doing. I was thinking of making each stack 2 stacks of 4, that way I could get the whole care up half way and then go up the next half. Anyone doing that?

Here is another thread with more info.
      https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ght=dse+stands

I think mine were 16" x 14".
      Tom
      1969 Chevelle

thanks tom_a, that was the thread I couldn't find!

As cool as these are to elevate your car, you should take a couple of things into consideration.

If you are going to build some, make sure you attach them all together with some heavy duty hardware.

Have you ever jacked up your car with a 2x4 block in front of the tire and pulled your car up onto the 2x4? If not, it's possible...and pretty easy to do if you're not careful. The blocks on the top would be much safer if they were 4x4's cut in a wedge to keep the tires from jumping off the top... or at least have top-blocks that are taller than typical 2x4. If you look at the picture of the Chevelle (in the pic you posted) on the blocks, you can pretty much see that the tires are essentially only locked in by 1-inch of the 1.5" of the 2x4. Spacing the blocks further apart would address this problem.

The blocks in this image are so close together that only about 1/4" of ramp is holding the car from rolling off of them.
      http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...z/100_0301.jpg

Blocks should not be taller than they are wide at the base.

I know of a shop that used these a lot and has chosen to find new options or at least redesign them in the name of safety.

Just be careful out there.

Tony Huntimer
      RaceHome.com
      Last edited by TonyHuntimer; 10-05-2010 at 09:42 PM.
      @Camaro.Family Camaros
      1967 #QuickChangeCamaro - SpeedTech Suspension LS1/T56
      1967 #CFBee - SpeedTech Suspension SuperCharged LS3/T56
      1969 #TaxReturnCamaro Art Morrison Suspension 496/T56
      1986 #IROCdaily - Stock IROC

Quote Originally Posted by epashhans View Post
      I forgot to mention, I was going to go with 14" x 16" with an 8 stack. Sounds similar to what you are doing. I was thinking of making each stack 2 stacks of 4, that way I could get the whole care up half way and then go up the next half. Anyone doing that?
      I agree with Tony and I'd recommend 16"x16" . make it square. Also you want then to be fastened together, stacking smaller cribs is very dangerous.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

you dont want them too wide and a simple ratchet strap around the tire and through the cribs will hold fine.
      Nothing says "I built this" better than tool marks and dykem blue..

Follow my 3 link build. https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=61592

Thanks guys for all the advice. I appreciate it.

My plans for right now are to go 14" wide x 18" long and probably still do 8 high which would be 12". So it will still be wider and longer than it is high. Also, I think I will cut 2 - 2x4s at an angle and stack them to chock the tires better. I am more concerned about getting the car up on them more than anything.

The more I look at some of these, including DSE's (12"x12"), the scarier they look! While we are on the subject, does anyone have any experience with these failing, tipping over, etc.? I am still sold on them and think they will be great, but am more curious than anything.

Made with some care they will not fail under the relatively minimal weight of our cars. These things will hold up houses. If you're in an earthquake area, you might have a good quake shake the car off, but even that is a long shot. The ratchet strap around the tire and crib should alleviate that risk too.

I had my car up on 14" cribs for almost a year with no incident. Getting the car up and down is far more dangerous than once it's up there.
      Jeff K.
      69 Camaro SS, 406 SBC, TKO600, 9" w/3.73 tru-trac, Speedtech Arms, AFX Spindles, Lee 670 Box, Baer GT front, C5Z rear. Hyperco Leafs w/ Fays2 Watts Link + Varishocks.

We designed these up in Solidworks just for the reason expressed above.

Nice job ironworks

Do you Ironworks guys make anything ugly? If so I haven't seen it yet. Great idea! The wood makes me nervous.
      Erik

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...without-a-name

Camaro LS2, T56, 12 bolt, C6 Z06 brakes, Rushforth Super Spokes, ATS Spindles
      2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by epashhans View Post
      Thanks guys for all the advice. I appreciate it.

My plans for right now are to go 14" wide x 18" long and probably still do 8 high which would be 12". So it will still be wider and longer than it is high. Also, I think I will cut 2 - 2x4s at an angle and stack them to chock the tires better. I am more concerned about getting the car up on them more than anything.

The more I look at some of these, including DSE's (12"x12"), the scarier they look! While we are on the subject, does anyone have any experience with these failing, tipping over, etc.? I am still sold on them and think they will be great, but am more curious than anything.
      just make sure you floor jack can go that high....build your stack height to the max height of your jack.

Narrow stacks make them pretty sketchy if the car gets bumped from the rear.

Vince
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Quote Originally Posted by ErikLS2 View Post
      Do you Ironworks guys make anything ugly? If so I haven't seen it yet. Great idea! The wood makes me nervous.
      Thanks but we don't have any customers ask for ugly stuff. Maybe someday. There wheels stands work great but they are a little heavy. I would like to make some even taller ones some day just to give a bit more room underneath. The wood ones kinda scared me.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com