Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Ultimate Hot Rod Garage

Will be starting on a new house soon and I've been thinking of all the things I can do with the garage since it'll be a clean sheet design. Back in the mid 90's Hot Rod (I believe, could have been Car Craft) did a story on the ultimate car guy garage - there was even an overhead layout showing cabinet/tool placement. Does anyone remember that story? I remember thinking it was very well thought out and detailed, but can't find the issue it was in for the life of me.

I'm not talking about a garage-mahal, large-budget type garage, just a normal 2 car garage (3 car in my case - although the wife's car will undoubtedly take up one of the spaces) with your normal assortment of car guy tools - a couple of tool chests, an air compressor, shop vac, work bench, welder, floor jacks, jack stands...etc.

I'm really looking for that issue with the story, but I'm willing to take any advice/input on how to set up the garage. Some of the things I already have in mind:

1. 50a/220v outlet for welder/compressor
      2. Electrical outlets 36" high spaced every 4' along two walls - normal spacing on third wall.
      3. Plumbed for small sink - for hand washing, non-toxic parts washing.
      4. Multiple outlets in ceiling - for additional lighting, ext. cord on a reel, fan
      5. Insulated walls (builders in Texas don't normally insulate garage walls)
      6. Insulated garage doors.
      7. Absolutely level floor (you would be surprised how many garage floors have a slope to them)
      8. House will have gas, so I'm thinking of adding a drop in the ceiling for a future garage heater.

That's about it so far. I want a lot of cabinets, but don't know what I'll do about them yet. Gotta be cheap - craigslist maybe?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com