Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Dse Stands

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron L View Post
      Worth the money? Depends what your time is worth. $25 worth of wood to make four vs. $100/pair.
      Trust me I have all the wood sitting in my garage ready to go.

My concern is jacking the car up to get the front or rear on the blocks 12" in the air. Have you done it yet it sure is scarry.

What i like is this is true cribbing where you go up in levels a small amount at a time.

Plus the benifit of the anti-slip more then pays for itself. As I've said before saftey comes first for me I've already lost one friend because he tried to cut corners and save some time.

I follow this statement in life, "If Huffy made an airplane would you fly in it" Chances are not. Thus the reason I wouldn't even consider buying a floor jack or jack stands from Harbor Freight.

marty-mj
      GarageScene.net High Speed Welding KDHotrods RecoveryRoomInteriors WegnerAutomotive Autometer Ride-Tech

some nice stuff on thier website Marty http://www.raceramps.com/wheelcribs.html

Quote Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
      My concern is jacking the car up to get the front or rear on the blocks 12" in the air. Have you done it yet it sure is scarry.

What i like is this is true cribbing where you go up in levels a small amount at a time.
      The tall ones I see on their site require a jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron L View Post
      The tall ones I see on their site require a jack.

thus the reason i prefer the stacking one's
      marty-mj
      GarageScene.net High Speed Welding KDHotrods RecoveryRoomInteriors WegnerAutomotive Autometer Ride-Tech

you can still stack the wood ones if made to interlock. the race ramps are nice, but i only need them to build the car. $25 sure sounds a lot nicer.
      Tim

The WidowMaker: Garage Built 70 Chevelle

Special Thanks To: Rushforth Wheels, MuscleRodz, Kore3 & SC&C

Build Thread Link

My plan to order Ramps for the front so I can drive sorry push the Camaro up onto the ramp and then the cribs for the back.

similar to the Vette in this picture

or you could do something like this - WOW

http://www.raceramps.com/portablepitstopramp.html

marty-mj

These things are those items you smack yourself in the forhead and go why didnt i think of that, Ivehad mine fo ra few years now and love um. Built mine alittle wider to fit the pro street tires but they work great ecs when you only have under 4" of ground clearance to begin with lol.

Quote Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post

or you could do something like this - WOW

http://www.raceramps.com/portablepitstopramp.html

$2495.00!

I'll buy a lift for that. Maybe there is use at the track.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

I built the wooden ones just 12x12 and they are pretty solid. So far I've only used them on the rear because its easy to just jack the car up from the diff and slide them in.
      But up front I haven't really tried it yet because as you jack up from the front crossmember the front suspension starts to sag and you have to jack the car way up just to get them under a tire, and then the suspension is at full droop and when you go to let it down the suspension starts to go through its travel and moves and the block gets all out of whack.
      I guess I could make the ones for the front in smaller modular sections and jack it up under the control arm to avoid this and just go side to side?
      Other than that, they work great for the rear, gets the car up nice and high, and for the front, I've just been using 6ton jackstands.

Quote Originally Posted by John McIntire View Post
      I built the wooden ones just 12x12 and they are pretty solid. So far I've only used them on the rear because its easy to just jack the car up from the diff and slide them in.
      But up front I haven't really tried it yet because as you jack up from the front crossmember the front suspension starts to sag and you have to jack the car way up just to get them under a tire, and then the suspension is at full droop and when you go to let it down the suspension starts to go through its travel and moves and the block gets all out of whack.
      I guess I could make the ones for the front in smaller modular sections and jack it up under the control arm to avoid this and just go side to side?
      Other than that, they work great for the rear, gets the car up nice and high, and for the front, I've just been using 6ton jackstands.
      Depending how done your car is, just take a length of chain and bolt it from the swaybar mount on the LCA to somewhere on the frame. Do this while the car sits on the ground, and the suspension won't droop when you jack it up.
      Todd S.

"I like to race school buses..."

Here are some pics of my stackable stands. I guess you could make them in more sections for different hieghts. Being stackable you can also raise the car in increments from front to rear. This was my solution to the same situation you have.
      Attached Images Attached Images        
      Shannon

Modo Innovations
      940-391-9002

Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
      $2495.00!

I'll buy a lift for that. Maybe there is use at the track.
      I agree it has to be for track use.
      marty-mj

Scott from NJ.

Scott, that jack adapter thing is pretty cool. It might be the answer to jacking up the front and keeping the suspension compressed. Who makes it and where's it from? Is it a harbor freight deal?

i see them at tool vendors every swap meet i go to. railroad salvage in e-town has them IIRC
      Scott from NJ.

Scott, that jack adapter thing is pretty cool. It might be the answer to jacking up the front and keeping the suspension compressed. Who makes it and where's it from? Is it a harbor freight deal?

pretty cool

http://stores.toolzunlimited.com/Ite...Jack%20Adapter
      marty-mj

Summit racing carries them, too. Just search their site for "jack adapters".

I just picked these up from my neighbor. Forklift cradles they were getting ready to throw out at his job. He kept them because he thought they would come in handy one day.
      Attached Images Attached Images        
      Jose (Joe)
      1963 Nova SS Convertible
      1978 Malibu LT1/4L60E
      1978 Malibu Stock
      1983 Malibu Estate Woodie Wagon
      2007 Harley Dyna SB

Quote Originally Posted by CRCRFT78 View Post
      I just picked these up from my neighbor. Forklift cradles they were getting ready to throw out at his job. He kept them because he thought they would come in handy one day.
      Those look great. I highly doubt they will ever fail.
      marty-mj

Yeah they shouldn't fail. They weigh about 50-60 pounds apiece.
      Jose (Joe)
      1963 Nova SS Convertible
      1978 Malibu LT1/4L60E
      1978 Malibu Stock
      1983 Malibu Estate Woodie Wagon
      2007 Harley Dyna SB

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com