Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Hybrid View

We got a few things done this week. More photos in the folder. Stephen started the patch plates, but ran out of gas. Ill have to get more this week. I got the rear end out of the old frame, and in the garage to start stripping it. But that brings up another decision.

I have a chrysler 8-3/4" rear end, and a dana 60. The 8-3/4 comes with the removable center section. It should take around 500 hp, and I certainly wont have that for awhile. The dana 60 weighs more, and doesnt have the removable center section, but Ill never break it. Its the heavy duty 9-3/4" beast. It also has 8 lug axles, so Ill have to change those right away. Tell me what you think. 8-3/4" for gear changes in under an hour, or the dana that wont break?

We have done a few things over the last few weeks. We finished the welding under the cab. I got the engine cleaned, and the carburetor rebuilt. Its not perfect, but its much cleaner. I also verified it is a roller cam engine. Not that it matters much. The plan is to replace the engine with a modern hemi. But we worked our butt off and got the cab set on the frame. I havent leveled the cab yet, as I have to figure out how. Im reusing the rear cab rubber isolators. But the front had a stack of several washers and rubber bushings about 1/2" thick. Ill set the bed, and the fenders and check the body lines.

The next step is to level the cab, make sure its straight, then set the suspension front and back. I know we are slow, and its frustrating some times. But, I work on helicopters not classic trucks. We are learning as we go, and having to figure things out as we run into them. Neither Stephen or myself have ever built a car, much less gone this far into one. Its fun, but crazy. So many things to figure out.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com